The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which server should i transfer to?

Firstly i don't know if this should be here i jsut took a guess.

Anyway i need to transfer from an Asia Pacific server to a North American or Europe one. I jsut like to know which is better and should i go with East Coast or West Coast?.

I'm in Australia so i'm clueless.

I'm in Australia so i'm clueless.

Great quote. Your cricket team should use it on their merchandise. ;)

Seriously, I'd imagine West Coast would be best, as it is going to be the one nearest to you. Generally speaking, nearer is better. The West Coast of the USA is a couple of thousand miles nearer to Australia than Ireland is (which I gather is the location of the European servers), and is obviously nearer to you than the East Coast.

Edited by PLynkes

Try pinging and see where your best response is:

West Coast: 159.153.68.252 = 52 ms = 9 hops

East Coast: 159.153.92.28 = 111 ms = 9 hops

Europe: 159.153.72.252 = 194 ms = 13 hops

Local to me: 198.187.135.21 = 39 ms = 9 hops

This is a snapshot in time, of course, for a roundtrip in milliseconds (1/1000 of a second) The fourth is a server known to me in the next town over. Packets are not sent in a straight line and may travel way far away even for local hops, but this gives you kind of an idea of how lag time adds up depending on where a server is located. the ms number is from a straight ping. The hops is from a traceroute. You want the smallest ms and the fewest number of hops.

Do this in Windows by calling up the Start Menu and typing in: cmd. You get a window that opens up into an MS-DOS prompt in your own directory, so you type in orange:

C:\Users\Yournamehere>ping 198.187.135.21

C:\Users\Yournamehere>tracert 198.187.135.21

From the West Coast I really don't want to connect to an EU server, nor they to me, because it takes almost 4 times longer, but someone on the East Coast might have an easier time of it. I could see going either way from Australia here, depending on how it's wired up. Distance is PROBABLY a factor here, but it might not be. You gotta check.

Anyway, just FYI.

Edited by MSchuyler