Are the Dread Masters also Darths?

sixonenine

Hard to say, all the Darths seem to be on the Dark Council, and the Dread Masters don't appear to be DC members, which would suggest that they aren't Darths, however they are referred to as being extremely Powerful.

Maybe they have a weakness that Darksiders can use to negate their powers, thus preventing them from leveraging their way onto the DC and thus Darth status. Or maybe they are on the DC and are Darths, who knows.

Hard to say, all the Darths seem to be on the Dark Council, and the Dread Masters don't appear to be DC members, which would suggest that they aren't Darths, however they are referred to as being extremely Powerful.

Maybe they have a weakness that Darksiders can use to negate their powers, thus preventing them from leveraging their way onto the DC and thus Darth status. Or maybe they are on the DC and are Darths, who knows.

alot of darh are not on the dark concil... like darth scotia, darth zash, darth malgus, the list can go on...

Having in mind their backstory, I always assumed that the "Dread Master" title is something that goes way above "Darth" and even after they were freed, they only went to have a talk with the Emperor, not with the Dark Council or anything. I guess it may be possible to compare them favorably to the Emperor's Wrath, which technically speaking, answers only to the Emperor himself or his Hand.

Hardly. Darth Skotia, Darth Zash, Darth Silthar (Tatooine), Darth Gravus (Taris), Darth Serevin (Voss)....these and many more hold the title "Darth", but are not on the Dark Council.

In the Sith Empire of SWTOR, "Darth" is a rank above Lord, but below Council member.

And I believe that each of the Dread Masters is also a Darth - but in any case, they stand outside the ordinary hierarchy of the Sith, answering only to the Emperor directly.

The Dread Masters were the Emperor's prophets, similiar to the Dark Council which rules the Empire during the Emperor's absence. So i'd say:

Dread Masters = Dark Council

They are equals in my opinion. :)

Once again, not really. The Dark Council runs the day-to-day affairs of the Empire, theoretically (and in-lore, practically until about 10 years prior) under the guidance of the Emperor - each of them running the Empire's affairs within a particular sphere of activity (war, justice, technological research, logistics, etc. etc.). The Dread Masters are the Emperor's advisers, and hold no executive power. They have no permanent power base of their own, and their minions are whoever's placed under their command at a given point in time.

The Dread Masters are the Emperor's advisers, and hold no executive power. They have no permanent power base of their own, and their minions are whoever's placed under their command at a given point in time.

That's a nice theory, but given the sizable number of soldiers in the Dread Host that seem perfectly A-OK with fighting the rest of the Empire, the notion that the Dread Masters' armies are based not on an independent power base but on the whim of the central authority - insofar as the Empire even has one - seems tenuous to me.

They're addressed individually as Lords but it seems odd that such recognizably powerful Sith wouldn't hold the highest Sith rank.

Darth is not a sith rank its a title anyone can assume to declare himself one of the strongest of the sith.

declaring oneself darth comes with the burden of having the entire rest of the sith trying to challenge your title, meaning youll probably die soon

even an apprentice could declare himelf darth, tho if he is smart he would not do so as most likely someone is going to chop him into pieces to prove him wrong.

Edited by IvamAkorahil

• 2 weeks later...

They are likely not Darths, but like the Emperor's Wrath follow a different hierachy chain if you like. Remember the Emperor's Wrath is only a Lord, but instead of ascending to the rank of Darth he/she went one further and became Wrath. I'd assume the title 'Dread Master' was bestowed upon them by the Emperor. Effectively making them part of his 'personal' chain of command.

I'd also throw in the fact that the Sith Emperor never achieved the Darth title. He went from being Lord to Emperor.

• 7 months later...

to revive an old thread, i'd like to explain a bit here. Dark Council members are Darth's. When addressed they are addressed like Dark Lords of the Sith. non Dark Council members who still carry the rank Darth are referred to as Lords of the Sith. Lord siths are also referred to as Lords of the sith. In some cases a Dark Council member will still be called Lord.

and the Dread Masters are strong as an individual against multiple enemies, Together they are an unstoppable force. Only the strong willed and strong minded force users can protect themselves from the fear and terror the dread masters spread across the galaxy

So it its unknown if the Dread Masters are Darth's or Lord ranking members at the time But as they assumed the name Dread Masters, Lord and Darth titles are irrelevant to them