The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companion improvements/additions.

Rhalius

There's still a lot of room for improvement regarding companions. Ranging from polish, bug fixing to outright new additions.

So lets get to it:

-Allow players to choose between two branches for each companion.

I hate not being able to use companions because their spec does not combine with mine. Healer companion always seem to be the best choice anyways unless you are a healer.

Being able to choose between two branches for each companion means more controll over their role and weaponry.

That and you would be able to get a set up that works with your own character much faster. It takes forever to get a DPS, healer and tank in your party.

-Display the correct companion appearance at crew window and affection gain popups when your companion uses an appearance thats not default.

A simple thing but it just adds polish to the game.

-Give us at least 1 appearance customisation for any companion that joins you.

The customisations are rather overpriced. Its nice that the first one gets one for free, but why not for all companions? would greatly help with variety everywhere in the game.

-Allow companions to ride taxi's.

Theres two seats there on most of them, why arent they sitting there when the player uses the taxi? makes sense for companions that dont use a human body and have no sitting animation, but all others should be able to appear there.

Maybe some player speeders could also be added that show the companion sitting on the speeder.

-Tweak companions to attack instantly when the order is given.

The delay is too long, quite frustrating if you want your companion to tank.

-Allow target priorities to be set for a companion.

Attack weakest enemy first, attack same target as player, CC strongest enemy, etc. Bioware made Dragon Age which allowed all kinds of tweaking like this, why not have just a little of that in here? the TOR companion AI seems to be the exact same one as for Neverwinter Nights. Good thing there are no traps or they would run right through them I bet.

-Add companion dialogue on board.

Companions rarely get to interact with each other, would be nice to see a bit of this added to the game. They could argue on the ship, try to romance each other, not trust each other, etc.

Offers a chance for the player to mediate between the two with options that can add a lot of companion affection or take it away.

-Let companions move around on board the ship.

Why should they always stand at the same place? I'd say let them move around a bit and be doing things. Same for the ship droid.

-Allow players to choose between two branches for each companion.

I hate not being able to use companions because their spec does not combine with mine. Healer companion always seem to be the best choice anyways unless you are a healer.

Being able to choose between two branches for each companion means more controll over their role and weaponry.

That and you would be able to get a set up that works with your own character much faster. It takes forever to get a DPS, healer and tank in your party.

As long as there is a story reason. Most companions have a reason for being what they are. Elara Dorne trained as a medic, which is why she's a healer. If I wanted Jorgan to be my medic, I should have to get him to go train with Elara for a day (makes him unusuable for that day) and then a medic tree should open up.

-Add companion dialogue on board.

Companions rarely get to interact with each other, would be nice to see a bit of this added to the game. They could argue on the ship, try to romance each other, not trust each other, etc.

Offers a chance for the player to mediate between the two with options that can add a lot of companion affection or take it away.

-Let companions move around on board the ship.

Why should they always stand at the same place? I'd say let them move around a bit and be doing things. Same for the ship droid.

This. This. So much this. The player ships are pretty lifeless right now. companions mind their own business and are generally uninteresting. They're part of the furniture. Have them walk around, talk to eachother, give a few random conversations they can have with me that aren't part of their main story.

I was just playing Knights of the Old Republic 2 this week... and in order to find the droid, you have to look over the ship as he wanders around and actually looks like he is helping out. In that game, and it's prequel, your companions have a few conversations between eachother when you return to the ship too. Now, for TOR this doesn't have to take place as cutscenes, but rather just idle conversation as they wander the ship.

I dont really care how an alternative spec to companions get added, as long as it gets added. Preferably not in a way that by the time you get this, you already finished the story.

Could maybe be a dialogue option to encourage them to undergo a training, reprogramming or such that makes them unavailable for several ingame days. 48 hours or such. Could be something different for each companion.

Using the jedi knight class as an example for each companion:

-T7 could get an upgrade that makes him a healing droid.

-Kira could be send to train on tython and become a sage.

-Doc could become a gunslinger through training.

-Rusk could become a vanguard tank.

-Scourge could be send on his way and he could return as a marauder.

Various melee companions could be found force sensitive and could retrain as a jedi or sith.

Various melee companions could be found force sensitive and could retrain as a jedi or sith.

This could prove to be interesting.

But let's not limit it, KOTOR by my account was bugged horribly when it came to Force alignment in companions.

Now if we took the training path on companions, don't limit it to force using main characters & it'd be amazing.

Say Vector could be trained as a Gray Jedi, whereas Broonmark could be self trained as a Juggernaut.

Khem being a darkside creature, could have some force skills however I feel giving him a saber is overkill.

I dont really care how an alternative spec to companions get added, as long as it gets added. Preferably not in a way that by the time you get this, you already finished the story.

Could maybe be a dialogue option to encourage them to undergo a training, reprogramming or such that makes them unavailable for several ingame days. 48 hours or such. Could be something different for each companion.

Using the jedi knight class as an example for each companion:

-T7 could get an upgrade that makes him a healing droid.

-Kira could be send to train on tython and become a sage.

-Doc could become a gunslinger through training.

-Rusk could become a vanguard tank.

-Scourge could be send on his way and he could return as a marauder.

Pretty much what i was thinking. As long as there is a lore/story reason as to why they are suddenly able to do their new role.

Not all melee companions of course, and don't make it so players feel forced to train them as Sith/Jedi to increase their effectiveness. I like Tanno Vik as he is and want to keep him that way. So if the game gave me the choice of turning him into a Jedi Guardian, i should choose it because i want him as a Guardian, not because it's better :p

Edited by Bomyne