The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bounty Hunter Blaster Rifle

HDMCGamer

Arbitrary weapon restrictions are silly.

Not to mention the occasional utter goof -- my Gunslinger got a Corellian Rotary Cannon in a random drop recently.. an Assault Cannon that's the green version of this weapon. Why are there Cunning-based assault cannons in the game when the only class that can use them is Aim-based?

Edited by DmdShiva

Not to mention the occasional utter goof -- my Gunslinger got a Corellian Rotary Cannon in a random drop recently.. an Assault Cannon that's the green version of this weapon. Why are there Cunning-based assault cannons in the game when the only class that can use them is Aim-based?

Thank you! I get stuff like this all the time... If I can't use it, why make it my stat? It just doesn't totally make sense.

Thank you! I get stuff like this all the time... If I can't use it, why make it my stat? It just doesn't totally make sense.

It's crappy itemization and its loot that nobody really cares about. You can be sure that if a piece of loot like that drops from an FP or OP boss it would have been an oversight, player would complain, and it would get changed really fast. Anytime i am leveling and i get a sniper rifle, scattergun or vibroknife with aim, or assault cannon with cunning i just vendor it, even if it is a prototype. I dont even bother selling it on the GTN because then some nub might buy it.

Now as far as the OP goes, its been discussed many times. There are balance issues that have to be addressed. You cant really point at a comp like Vette and say 'she can do it why cant I'. Certain comps have a wider range of weapons, but they would lose a bit of dps if you go with one weapon over another. Take Corso the Smuggler comp for example...he can use blaster rifles and blaster pistols. But if you give him a pistol he does a tiny bit more damage. For companions it isnt a big deal, but for players it is.

All the tech based classes have mirrors that use a different MH and OH. If you compare the damage from ranged weapons they are all different. From least damage to most damage you have blaster rifle, pistol, sniper rifle, and assault cannon. A merc with blaster rifle+generator and a merc with dual blaster pistols arent going to do the same amount of damage. WoW just recently allowed players to transmog weapons. If you have a 2H axe you could transmog it to look like a 2H sword or 2H mace. If you had a 1H axe, you could get it transmogged to a 1H sword or 1H mace. There are still a few restrictions due to weapon swing animations, but what they have done is a good move. Unfortunately SWTOR's system is a bit different, and i dont know if it will be anywhere near what WoW has.

A better solution would be to ask for new weapon classes maybe even make them class specific. For example for Mercs you can add what it called an "overcharged carbine rifle". It has the exact same min-max damage as an assault cannon. This allows mercs to use an OH generator and a weapon that is identical in damage to an assault cannon, so their damage output would be the same as a commando. The damage output is the same, but you now get a new weapon that is held just like a blaster rifle.

This should be in the game, really. They can keep end-game weapons the current way (to avoid tech and force classes competing for gear they both use), and all the animations are in game. For example, compare a smuggler to an agent. The agent uses a rifle, and the smuggler uses a pistol. Now if the two switch weapons, why can't they just switch animations too? Same thing could work for bounty hunter and troopers.

This should be in the game, really. They can keep end-game weapons the current way (to avoid tech and force classes competing for gear they both use), and all the animations are in game. For example, compare a smuggler to an agent. The agent uses a rifle, and the smuggler uses a pistol. Now if the two switch weapons, why can't they just switch animations too? Same thing could work for bounty hunter and troopers.

The problem is most people dont want to simply flip flop weapons. In fact, i dont think i've ever seen a BH specifically ask if they can use an assault cannon in the many threads that are just like this one. Most of the threads i see are BH or troopers asking if they can use a blaster rifle.

Since the most iconic bounty hunter of all time in the Star Wars Universe uses a carbine, I can say I agree with this request. People should be able to use any weapon they want, barring lightsabers of course. An agent carries a pistol on his belt and uses it in cutscenes but only there. In the SWU there have been multiple bounty hunters that used all sorts of weapons. So let them pick.

So what about a bounty hunter that chooses a vibrosword? How would his specials work or be justified? Well wrist launchers. Boba Fett used them all the time. Some specials would have to be rebuilt but so what? If it gives the BH, trooper, smuggler, agent a sense of identity let them do it.

Heck you could give the non force class a choice after their starter planet. Where by they pick their weapon of choice. So an agent goes to the job NPC. He picks Operative, he then picks his weapon. And that sets up his special attacks. Plus for a nominal fee, say he picked pistol originally but finds a really cool looking blaster rifle he wants, he can change it just like resetting skill points. Not change his job, just his weapon preference.

Can just imagine a g/s popping up from cover wielding 2 assault cannons looking bad. ***.

The "loot generator" probably mixes and mashes up item traits and randomly assigns them. I saw a shield generator once with Cunning on it. Are there any Cunning-based player character classes or companions? I don't think there are.

I did think of a major problem: if a bounty hunter uses a vibroblade, the strength would be useless. An easy work around is using tech blades and techstaves, but then what would be the ranged version for Jedi and Sith?

• 3 months later...
I did think of a major problem: if a bounty hunter uses a vibroblade, the strength would be useless. An easy work around is using tech blades and techstaves, but then what would be the ranged version for Jedi and Sith?

Techstaves and Techblades annoy me. Why make a specifc weapon type to have one stat? Why not just make all techblades vibroblades and all techstaves electrostaves. After all, it isn't like we are stuck with lightsabers (str) and forcesabers (will).

• 10 months later...
I agree that bounty hunters really need to be able to use a blaster rifle. I do not think that would ever need or use a assault cannon which just does not seem like a weapon that fits well with that character class that should only be used by the Trooper character class.

Since the most iconic bounty hunter of all time in the Star Wars Universe uses a carbine, I can say I agree with this request..

dont bring movies for an excuse

i can say that never seen in any SW movies a smuggler with other than a pistol nor ive seen any1 with a canon nor ive seen a jedi with a heavy armor

Its a game and in a game need to have some balance in a lot of things to make it feel unique and make the player to roll an alt to use the other favorite weapon / armor set he / she likes.

• 8 months later...
I'm bumping this since it shows how far back the requests are for this. Bounty Hunters, especially Mercenaries, should be able to use Blaster Rifles. They are absolutely iconic, and we've been preaching this since the closed beta.

I'm bumping this since it shows how far back the requests are for this. Bounty Hunters, especially Mercenaries, should be able to use Blaster Rifles. They are absolutely iconic, and we've been preaching this since the closed beta.

And by now you'd think people will get the hint...

Iconic because every bounty hunter uses a rifle and only bounty hunters use rifles? Or simply because you want to make your character the spitting image of Boba Fett? Well, to do that, make an Operative or a Vanguard and give it the appropriate armor appearance (even easier now).

I'm as opposed to arbitrary weapon restrictions as the next person, but they've been around in class-based games since Olde Tyme (A)D&D. And it's never going to change.

Iconic because every bounty hunter uses a rifle and only bounty hunters use rifles? Or simply because you want to make your character the spitting image of Boba Fett? Well, to do that, make an Operative or a Vanguard and give it the appropriate armor appearance (even easier now).

I'm as opposed to arbitrary weapon restrictions as the next person, but they've been around in class-based games since Olde Tyme (A)D&D. And it's never going to change.

You're jumping to unnecessary conclusions. Not everyone wants a Boba Fett clone, and there were many more Bounty Hunters using rifles. The Republic mirror class, the Trooper, has different weapon types depending on the advanced class: Vanguards use Rifles, Commandos use Assault Cannons. Bounty Hunters use Blaster Pistols, regardless. It makes sense that a Powertech would use a single pistol since they're mostly melee range, but Mercenaries should have an option to use Blaster Rifles given their ranged abilities.

Bounty Hunters use Blaster Pistols, regardless. It makes sense that a Powertech would use a single pistol since they're mostly melee range, but Mercenaries should have an option to use Blaster Rifles given their ranged abilities.

Logically, any character should be able to use any tech weapon, but they are not going to change the animations. So we are stuck with the limitations.

Really, the only option you are ever going to have is a Vanguard or Operative with Boba Fett-looking gear.

Edited by branmakmuffin

You're jumping to unnecessary conclusions. Not everyone wants a Boba Fett clone, and there were many more Bounty Hunters using rifles. The Republic mirror class, the Trooper, has different weapon types depending on the advanced class: Vanguards use Rifles, Commandos use Assault Cannons. Bounty Hunters use Blaster Pistols, regardless. It makes sense that a Powertech would use a single pistol since they're mostly melee range, but Mercenaries should have an option to use Blaster Rifles given their ranged abilities.

Agents use different weapons depending on AC, Smugglers do not.

If you allow Mercs to use rifle(s), you have to allow the same to Gunslingers.

• 2 months later...
And by now you'd think people will get the hint...

Doesnt make me want a blaster rifle or a carbine for my bh any less....

The only weapon restriction that makes sense in this entire game is lightsabers. If your so worried about balance, then if im a bh who uses a rifle or carbine just make it so the dmg reflects that of my pistol. I dont even care, I just want a carbine instead of my wimpy little gun