Interview with Austin Peckenpaugh on DPS

Belgaer

Have any of you read this?

http://www.madsithassassin.com/2013/03/assassin-developer-interview.html

I was curious to hear your thoughts on how he talked about why Assassin dps is balanced. It's an interesting way of thinking about what our purpose is as DPS. He claims that we're essentially there to make the last 30% of boss fights (when they tend to spam their problematic attacks) much faster. But I have to wonder what he's talking about when he talks about an armor debuff/armor penetration below 30%...

If nothing else, it makes me feel like Assassin isn't quite as bad off as it looks on paper, so to speak. What do you think? Am I the only one wondering if this guy means that by reaching his target at 30%, if they then become on par with classes like Marauder (or Sniper, if you want to go that far), or if they're stronger than them to make up for being weaker prior?

Edited by Belgaer

Have any of you read this?

http://www.madsithassassin.com/2013/03/assassin-developer-interview.html

I was curious to hear your thoughts on how he talked about why Assassin dps is balanced. It's an interesting way of thinking about what our purpose is as DPS. He claims that we're essentially there to make the last 30% of boss fights (when they tend to spam their problematic attacks) much faster. But I have to wonder what he's talking about when he talks about an armor debuff/armor penetration below 30%...

If nothing else, it makes me feel like Assassin isn't quite as bad off as it looks on paper, so to speak. What do you think? Am I the only one wondering if this guy means that by reaching his target at 30%, if they then become on par with classes like Marauder (or Sniper, if you want to go that far), or if they're stronger than them to make up for being weaker prior?

That interview is old, that is a ******** answer. Saying that MadSin is actually on par with other dps classes because we cannot factor in our execute phase is just crap. Those other dps classes also have execute phases and armor debuffs that arent factored in. And the reality is, on real boss fights MadSin parses way lower than everyone else even with their execute phase. Don't buy into their garbage, they just do not want to admit that they messed up an entire spec for an AC.

That interview is old, that is a ******** answer. Saying that MadSin is actually on par with other dps classes because we cannot factor in our execute phase is just crap. Those other dps classes also have execute phases and armor debuffs that arent factored in. And the reality is, on real boss fights MadSin parses way lower than everyone else even with their execute phase. Don't buy into their garbage, they just do not want to admit that they messed up an entire spec for an AC.

No, I agree. I just didn't want to turn the thread into a rant topic. But I don't think there's any avoiding that. lol Also, I don't think that question in the interview was specific to the Madness spec. The question was saying there was concern of low dps parses causing fear that we'd all get pigeon-holed into tanking. That makes me think Deception was being included.

Edited by Belgaer