Addressing healing and overall class synergy

Trephination

I know there are a lot of threads on healing at the moment, but this is a slightly different idea so I'd like to see some feedback.

The biggest discrepancy in class balance at the moment is in healing, as operatives/scoundrels are considered much more valuable than either of the other two healing ACs. This is especially true in the ranked scene. Most complaints are about the roll, but while it's sometimes annoying I don't believe it's what gives them such an advantage. I actually consider it one of the most gimmicky and underwhelming new abilities, considering 90% of its value occurs out of combat. So that aside...

The main issue with operative/scoundrel healing is that HoTs stack with each other with no diminished return whatsoever, allowing teams stacked with op/scounds to heal almost entirely inactively. If you look at the other two healing ACs, you'll notice that there are mechanics in place to ensure that their most class-definitive heal doesn't stack directly. Sorc bubble and merc reactive shell involve lockout periods to ensure that those classes require reactive thought as damage comes in. I believe it's no accident that these "fire-and-forget" heals were designed not to stack. Unfortunately, Bioware forgot about slow release med-pack and it's become increasingly more apparent in conjunction with the 2.0 class changes.

Currently, if a team has 2-3 op/scounds they can permanently maintain 3-4k HPS on every member of the ops frame with very little effort involved, making the greater portion of that team's healing bordering on brainless and requiring very little reaction. Most rated teams have noticed by now and are using 2+ operative healers instead of a sorc or merc as a result.

I propose that a debuff, or diminished return system be put in place affecting HoTs.

For example, a maximum of 2-3 stacks of slow release med-pack per player. This would encourage class composition variety for rated warzones, and potentially in the 4v4 arenas to come. Such a change would not nerf operative healers directly, as that's not really necessary. HoTs aren't game-breaking until they're heavily stacked. It would simply make class synergy between healers more of a balanced consideration.

Wouldn't we all like to see some more class variety? Currently, operatives and scoundrels are straight-up better than the other 2 healers in almost every situation. This inconsistency is the major factor contributing to the currently too high RWZ TTK, in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this? It's probably best we fix healing before arenas are implemented, even though this issue is most impactful in 8v8. It's clear to me that sorcs and mercs need a minor adjustment to improve how they heal under pressure as well, but let's try and bring HoT-healing back down to earth first.

Teacher you are such a QT

I never really thought about this issue and I completely agree on you with this. I still do believe the energy cost of slow release needs to be up'd a tiny bit. Pre 2.0 there was no way i can maintain HoTs on 8 people and still have energy to use. Post 2.0 i can do it, and not only maintain all 8 HoTs but actually overheal with no cost to my energy. So i think with these 2 changes they can be brought back down to earth.

I was thinking about this yesterday- how scoundrels don't have a mechanic to disincentivize stacking like some other classes, including the 2 other healers. My suggestion would be to put a heal debuff (50%?) on the healed target for any slow release medpack ticks that occur less than 3 seconds (that's how often it ticks) after a previous SRM ticked (meaning it has to had to be from a different scoundrel).