The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech reroll

Zhanny

Hi,

Ive picked up my powertech again together with my brother who is leveling a marauder, we are both 32 now but after looking around on these forums i got a bit worried about the BH powertech.

Is it just me or did i just pick the weakest class in both pve-pvp? I enjoy the pyro spec atm which does ok dmg at 32 against mobs but i feel useless in pvp, ive switched to the tanking spec but then in pvp im just annoying people atm and thats mainly cause they dont have their spells yet to counter me. Im thinking ill be completely overlooked at 55.

Could someone shed any light here, (i wanna see the story either way) and i enjoy the class so far but i dont wanna be annoyed when im gonna grind my gear at 55 because of the fact that im not viable for either pvp or pve with any spec. Slightly worried :o

Your only semi-viable at 55.

In all reality the 2 DPS specs for PT need a complete revamp. The tank tree is right now the most viable way to go. at 55 you will be pretty well equipped for killing people and being useful to your team. When you hit 45 consider going down the Tank route. its fun, easy to play, and pretty good DPS compared to other tank classes and even some DPS classes.

Well, you get me now worried.

I recently started a Bounty Hunter and went into being Powertech. After checking the spec trees I decided to go Pyrotech over other ones. I am now 27 and really like the DPS output I have. With the Prototype Particle Accelerator, Superheated Rail and Puncture you have a Rail Shot each 3-5 seconds and it ignores a lot of armor (if it's 75% or 61.5% is still waiting for an answer). I was intending to go 5/5/36 (click) as a mastery, taking Steely Resolve, Rail Loaders, Prototype Burn Enhancers and Puncture from the other trees.

But right now I have no idea what to do. You say the best way is to go tank-speced, but I never tanked and am not familiar with the role. I prefare DPS characters, because I am a weekend player and don't want anyone to be dependent on my lack of skills. I am playing mostly PvE, because of my "weekendness" mentioned earlier.

Is it possible to play DPS Pyrotech late game and still be viable in PvE? I really don't want to abbandon the class, because she is the most enjoyable so far for me. If it's not viable in either PvE nor PvP, then why does Bioware won't do something about it?

The main complaints against the Pyro PT/Assault VG is that they have low burst and poor survivability in a PvP environment. In PvE they are fine (even if they do parse lower than hybrid specs but that is only important in high-end PvE (Operations)).

The Pyro/Assault is still a blast to play and you can have a lot of fun with it. It is just that your damage is more of the "sustained type" (boom boom boom boom boom boom) instead of "burst type" (BOOM plink plink BOOM plink plink).

If you are enjoying yourself, don't give up on the Pyro and keep playing it. :)

Thank you for the answer. I was very happy with the class so far, but the couple of topics I read here made me worried. I do not intend to PvP, maybe in a distant future. And the Boom, Boom, Boom is fitting me nicely so far. Although the heat venting on a Pyrotech is very situational, if you don't get a proc you have to be carefull :(

PTs aren't awful right now, but they do need a bit of love.

Pyro is still very powerful and once you get shoulder cannon AP isn't awful either. As to the heat venting issue, a good rule of thumb is to never exceed 30-35 heat. Use Vent Heat as kind of a DPS cooldown, and save Thermal Sensor Override for your DoT missile.

People who are saying PT don't have the DPS they used to forget they have an "execute" move in the Pyro tree (sub 30% extra DoT dmg), that affects parses on dummies vs actual targets.

Hm im getting mixed signals from this, i guess the main thing is to enjoy the game and class in whatever you do, though im still slightly concerned i hit 55 and im gonna have a hard time playing my pvp matches which are mainly pugs, i mean if i cant do anything properly myself and the pug sucks wheres the fun in that? Maybe im to sceptical, appreciate the replys so far at least thanks for that.

I'd say if you enjoy it, keep playing it. at some point balance will be adjusted and we'll probably get a boast of some kind at which point, having played it in a an ok grade, you'll really appreciate the little tweeks more then anyone who rolls one thinking they're back to being FOTM.

The powertech was my 1st class that i made in the game.(never regret it and I still keep it as my main)

Pyro PT may not be wanted in ranked anymore but in pugs it still wrecks havoc and although the dmg went down(biggest nightmare is trying to finish off an operative healer with guard on, this class just cannot bring them down more then to 30% HP, talking about the good/pro operative healers, it always makes me sad, because pre 2.0 no healer could ever survive me no matter who they we`re, good times...good times) and they made the class even more vulnerable by moving energy rebound to AP and give us automated defenses(which sucks big time), I`m finding Hydraulic Overrides very awesome for when i want to stay on a target or kite melees so even if it takes longer to kill a target Hydraulic helps alot in making life easier( but this is for 1v1, the moment ur focused by 2-3 ppl well ya ur fcked)

Edited by iDraxter

PPA is the key of the spec , so pyro is one of those that is actually comparatively strong early on. You get more good stuff later on, but once you have PPA you have most of the spec.

As a dps in PvE or PvP the performance is mediocre. To make it simple the damage is 15-20% below top dpsing classes at end game. Tank is effective, but still second rated for the most part and in most occasions.