The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Beast mounts

I'm quite certain there have been threads such as this one before, but I didn't find one within the first five pages so I thought "hey, maybe they'll listen if I remind them!"

I think we should have mounts that aren't just limited to speeders. The thrantas on Alderaan are a good example! When I first saw Banthas in Tatooine, too, I thought riding on the back of one would be awesome. Varactyls and dactillions would be great too.

Any other suggestions? :)

I agree with this, it worked well on SWG with banthas, dewbacks, varactyls etc, adds more variety to the game, follows lore (so people can't complain with "*** is this now??" (although there will probably be a few..) and just generally all round fun :)

Speeders are great but at the moment and I'm sorry for saying it but theres a lot of repaints and reskins going on but nothing new or imaginative.

I'm all for creature mounts! :D

To pick a favourite though.. Hard to say at the moment, but tauntauns and banthas would be close to the top of my list.

Beast mounts would be nice. Make them move at normal Sprint rate. May be a little faster but not as fast as speeders. Some people would love it for the cosmetic purposes. OH a night. Don't let them work on fleet. We don't need to be cleaning up ban the ding at fleet.

Technically, when you mount, you "become" the mount (even with Rocket Boost) -- so they would have to create entirely new animations for such mounts, and a model consisting of your character attached to that mount. SWTOR mounts are very simple, about all they do in movement is generate a particular "dust trail" and bank/tilt when cornering -- this is much much harder.

So, such new mounts would have a pretty hefty development cost, as opposed to the current way of "Put something together that moves the same way as the old ones do" or worse, "put a new color scheme on an existing model". I'm not saying it's impossible -- after all, the Pleasure Barge speeders must have been done this way -- but the more dramatic the changes involved, the bigger the development effort for Bioware and hence the profit margin is much reduced. Unless a lot of people are willing to pay 10k cartel coins for each new beast mount, I don't see it happening.