How would YOU thank Subscribers?

ZionHalcyon

Exactly - thats what Andryah is missing - its not what we got - its how what we got was communicated.

Its a communication issue. And there are enough people at least bothered if not outright upset about it that just because some people are fine with it does NOT negate those that aren't.

Communication needs to improve, and the devs need to learn when to be less coy and more forthright. If from the livechat on this was refered to as a form of CC grant, everyone would be satisfied. Its because since they decided to play coy and get all cute about it that it led people to think it was going to be something more, because while more CC is nice, its not something in the minds of most worth getting all secretive over.

The devs need to learn to manage expectations better - not in what they say, but moreso in how they communicate it.

This exactly. Or don't say anything and when you log in and you see 500 CC extra in your bank when it is before your monthly grant you will be surprised. I know I would have been. Then put out a statement saying thank you for your sub. That I would have been fine with.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) they did not lead you to believe anything other then "something" is coming. followed by 500,000 players all projecting what that would be onto their own expectations stimulator.

2) It's more like your boss said I have a little something special for you, as a thank you for all that you do. He told you about it on Monday, but you are not going to get it until Friday. You were thinking it was a uniquely engraved watch, but instead he gave you a gift card to let you have the freedom to convert his appreciation into something that would make you happy. [bTW.. this is quite common now in companies.. they give appreciations awards to employees...in the form of gift cards. You know what else companies do?... they don't let you know in advance that something special is coming.. so you don't have time to project what it will be onto your expectations stimulator.]

And this response is why you don't have a job in Public Relations. A fundamental and perhaps even willful lack of understanding and comprehension of what that entails, and what is necessary to control the message and keep public perception of your company in a positive light.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

And this response is why you don't have a job in Public Relations. A fundamental and perhaps even willful lack of understanding and comprehension of what that entails, and what is necessary to control the message and keep public perception of your company in a positive light.

Zion is spot on. I've seen quality people quit jobs over perceived insults like that. Always manage your presentation of expectations. Always.

Edited by Maelael

Exactly - thats what Andryah is missing - its not what we got - its how what we got was communicated.

Oh I get it. I just don't agree with it.

See my post above, where I point out that companies don't give employees a heads up that an appreciation gift is coming.... they spring it on you. That way.. you don't get time to precondition your expectations with all the silly projections you can create in your mind. ;)

Bioware should never advance communicate (or even hint) "spot awards" of appreciation gifts. Ever. And people like you are exactly why. :)

The only thing that should be communicated are recurring awards programs. Which by the way are just clever little carrot on a stick subscription retention gimmicks that some companies. And many of you gobble these up like they are the best candy in the world, as amply demonstrated by the number of suggestions in this thread that are clones of this very simple incentive mechanic.

Edited by Andryah

Zion is spot on. I've seen quality people quit jobs over perceived insults like that. Always manage your presentation of expectations. Always.

I agree.. I never suggested otherwise.. so I really don't get your point.

However, from a practical perspective, it's almost impossible to do with a half million people of all walks of life, desire, goals, personalities. Besides... most people will take the CCs and smile and use them for something they want....NOT whine and cry and demand it be done better and different.

Comparing it to communicating to employees is nonsequitur. Companies do not communicate in advance to employees, they communicate when the event takes place, not before. And some employees ALWAYS react negatively even if the communications was perfect.

Edited by Andryah

Some thought I have on the matter:

• Monthly FREE RENAME Character (I seem to recall we "had" that promised before?)
  • Monthly FREE 5x Major XP Pack (Since some folks don't want Double XP - Sell these or use them)
  • Permanent 50% Discount on REMOVE Mod/Arm/Enh/Barrel/Hilts - Get folks to change gear more often
  • ONE TIME - Free Bound to Legacy +15 Efficiency +5 Crit Droid Sensor (Good for ANY of the crafters) - I.E. Generic +15/+5

Edited by dscount

Oh I get it. I just don't agree with it.

See my post above, where I point out that companies don't give employees a heads up that an appreciation gift is coming.... they spring it on you. That way.. you don't get time to precondition your expectations with all the silly projections you can create in your mind. ;)

Bioware should never advance communicate (or even hint) "spot awards" of appreciation gifts. Ever. And people like you are exactly why. :)

For some reason, I thought of

after reading your post.

I agree.. I never suggested otherwise.. so I really don't get your point.

However, from a practical perspective, it's almost impossible to do with a half million people of all walks of life, desire, goals, personalities. Besides... most people will take the CCs and smile and use them for something they want....NOT whine and cry and demand it be done better and different.

Comparing it to communicating to employees is nonsequitur. Companies do not communicate in advance to employees, they communicate when the event takes place, not before.

If its impossible (which I agree it is), then why aren't more companies as practical as you want us to be and skip hiring PR firms and having PR departments?

Because even if its impossible to get everyone to be on your side, it IS possible to improve the general perception of your company and get at least a larger number of people MORE satisfied, if not outright elated, than if they didn't mishandle the PR aspect of it.

Thats what you and the other "just shut up and be grateful" posters are missing.

What is your point? Are you debating me now, or the topic? Why are you making it personal?

Illustrating your lack of comprehension. and sometimes a well placed, benign zinger can get the message across effectively, and other times when you know the person you are debating with is not going to budge, better to say things for the consumption of those reading than the one you are debating with.

I take a larger view in my discussions to not only account for who I am talking to, but also who might be reading said debate.

I said this before and I will say it again...Until an item is ready to launch, DO NOT ANNOUNCE IT. The way they are handling the SSSP is a good example of exactly how to handle any content in this game....say nothing until the very last moment when you have to.

By then you have a concise view of what the feature is going to be and can release all information at once.

No more spoilers. Anticipation and expectations are too high. Any miscommunication creates bad blood where none should exist, reducing the positive impact of the feature that is added.

I take a larger view in my discussions to not only account for who I am talking to, but also who might be reading said debate.

So do I. So your point remains unclear.

All I see is your value judgments and expectations are different then mine.

We can agree to disagree, but please stop with the personal attacks and "zingers" to try to discredit character.

Edited by Andryah

We can agree to disagree, but please stop with the personal attacks and "zingers" to try to discredit character.

Why you no like my link? I'm saddened now. :(

I love that scene. That is almost what I feel like. :D

Haha love that movie. :D

Edited by Pistols

I said this before and I will say it again...Until an item is ready to launch, DO NOT ANNOUNCE IT. The way they are handling the SSSP is a good example of exactly how to handle any content in this game....say nothing until the very last moment when you have to.

By then you have a concise view of what the feature is going to be and can release all information at once.

No more spoilers. Anticipation and expectations are too high. Any miscommunication creates bad blood where none should exist, reducing the positive impact of the feature that is added.

That's a very safe way to do it. And if you fail at managing expectations, this might actually be better.

However, this has its own risks as well.

A lot of times, there hit lulls in development cycles. Subscribers can potentially lose interest without something to look forward to in these lulls, which can hurt the game.

There's definitely an art to getting it right. I'd say looking at Bioware, they have the "when" and "how often" part of leaking info down right. The problem with them is the "what" and "how much". They tend to be overprotective of information that they shouldn't be (the CC grant, for instance), while being totally loose lipped about other things and then haviing it bite them in the butt when something crucial is missing (like failing to mention all the new appearance stuff will cost CC).

There's a way to manage the message, and I hope they figure it out Soon™

I'd probably still show my appreciation for subscribers, were I in charge of such things, by focusing on and producing more of the things that subscribers subscribe to my game to do. Things like flash points, operations, war zones, quests, and such.

But, hey, that's silly, right? I mean, why do all that hard stuff when you can just give away a small stack of cartel coins? :rolleyes:

I will if you can stop the strawman arguments meant to deflect the obvious lack of understanding of public relations on your part.

I will if you can stop the strawman arguments meant to deflect the obvious lack of understanding of public relations on your part.

See... you just keep right on, don't you?

Petty man.. very petty.

Edited by Andryah

Look at these little lovebirds fighting over a post that supposed to offer helpful suggestions.

Stay on topic or I'll be glad to debunk you like I do on the other forums. Damn you two are what make this community bad.

Can't even stay on topic....this is sad. I agree with the guy that wanted soft-core **** now.

Look at these little lovebirds fighting over a post that supposed to offer helpful suggestions.

Stay on topic or I'll be glad to debunk you like I do on the other forums. Damn you two are what make this community bad.

Can't even stay on topic....this is sad. I agree with the guy that wanted soft-core **** now.

I don't go to other forums, at least not gaming ones, and never saw you before.

Actually, what this looks like is you saw the back and forth was over, and now want to jump in and troll the thread to get a flamewar going.

Sorry but I don't feed trolls. :rak_03:

Anyone who buys makeb, gets makeb. Expansion packs are a different animal.

No they're not. You said story should be for all, but some story is blocked until you buy it. What is the difference if there is a subscription story?

I don't go to other forums, at least not gaming ones, and never saw you before.

Actually, what this looks like is you saw the back and forth was over, and now want to jump in and troll the thread to get a flamewar going.

Sorry but I don't feed trolls. :rak_03:

You mean the back and forth that was off topic, even though you wanted to stay on topic?

Nice trolling your own post.

You just owned yourself.

Debunked. I told you it was coming.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.