The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New PvE Tank

So I've been leveling my Vanguard with the general intent of dpsing at end game for PvE, but after talking with some guild-mates, we're probably going to be in need of tanks. Aside an off-tank role in another mmo, I'm really not 100% certain with a ranged-based tank. What I'm looking for is some feedback on how effective Vanguard tanks are in PvE end game content (ops, flashpoints, etc) and maybe some tips toward build and where to put my stats. Also as just a general reference, are they better for single target or aoe tanking?

Thanks in advance for the help!

a ranged-based tank

You're more like a tank that just happens to have a gun. One of your biggest threat moves is clubbing someone with your gun in melee. Because of the way tanking mechanics work, you will want to stay in melee as much as possible.

how effective Vanguard tanks are in PvE end game content (ops, flashpoints, etc)

A lot better than Shadow / Sins.

Also as just a general reference, are they better for single target or aoe tanking?

Open with Mortar Volley, Sticky Grenade, Storm, 2 Free Blast Pulses (from Storm proc), Stockstrike, High Impact Bolt your SS target, then take about 2 steps back and Pulse Cannon (should have procced by now).

Other than that, not much else you can do inside of a rotation besides tabbing or throwing Stickies / Blasts. If you're worried, pop the crit booster before the pull starts.

One important thing about tanking in this game that is different: Taunting something gives you bonus threat, even if you currently have top threat. Ergo, for single target fights, it's good to taunt every time it's up (unless you need it for a specific part) to boost your own threat. Save the AOE taunt for emergencies.

You're more like a tank that just happens to have a gun. One of your biggest threat moves is clubbing someone with your gun in melee. Because of the way tanking mechanics work, you will want to stay in melee as much as possible.

I figured I'd be in melee range, no getting around that unless its a stationary target, lol. But that's good to know, I haven't played around with that build at all (or on PT), so didn't know what the main threat skill would be.

One important thing about tanking in this game that is different: Taunting something gives you bonus threat, even if you currently have top threat. Ergo, for single target fights, it's good to taunt every time it's up (unless you need it for a specific part) to boost your own threat. Save the AOE taunt for emergencies.

So basically that's a "good at single target"? I'm not concerned with rotations right now, I'll figure that out as I go and build my toon... I'm just curious where they stand with aoe threat gen vs single target. Like I know I can hold down multiple targets on my Assassin, I'm just concerned with how that'll go over with the Vanguard.

Thanks for the reply, some helpful points in it.