Coming back, not sure what I want to play

Kurugi

Haven't played since before RotHC. Been reading up on classes a bit so I kinda know the state of how things are. I also plan to focus a lot on PvP, but will probably do a bit of PvE as well. Also this might be a bit of a read since I tend to go into details so bear with me.

I think I've narrowed my decision down to Assassin, Marauder, or Gunslinger (and/or their mirrors). Trying to base my decision more on playstyle and the class itself rather than which story is better or things like that since in the long term story doesn't matter as much. I do tend to prefer melee over ranged, at least in PvP. I find staying on a target as melee less frustrating than trying to keep people at bay as a ranged, but that's just me.

Assassin I've played up to level 40 before. Everytime I try to level one again I find the early levels so boring, but that might be because I played Darkness and I remember the darkness tree being quite a late bloomer, since some abilities aren't even worth using without their accompanying talents even though they're staples of your rotation (e.g. force lightning). However if I were to play one again I'd probably go deception, though having duplicity higher in the tree seems like it would feel icky as well. When it did come into it's own though I remember Assassin being a lot of fun in PvP, but the last time I played one was waaaaaay long ago.

Marauder I haven't played much but I did play a Sentinel up to the 30s and it was a lot of fun in PvP and PvE. I felt like a wrecking ball. Force Leap is a ton of fun too especially on maps like Huttball. The only thing about the Marauder is I've leveled a Jugg to 50 before so I've already experienced the story, though I actually don't remember too many details of it besides a few key parts and the ending bits. Could play a Sentinel instead but I much prefer the animations on the Mara to the Sent.

Gunslinger, when the game was in beta this was the class I was most interested in but I never really took off with it. At first I didn't like the cover that much but after I got used to it and understood all of what was involved with the mechanic (unable to be charged, immune to interrupts which is one of the most annoying things I find about being ranged) I REALLY liked it in PvP. Also the damage output is pretty sick even at lower levels I remember. Haven't experienced that much of the Smuggler story either (only played up through Nar Shaddaa) whereas I've experienced all of the SW story and the Inquisitor story up to the start of Hoth. I also kinda wanna play Republic more but it's not really a huge factor.

Thanks if you stuck through and read it all, and thanks in advance for any insight and suggestions. :rak_03:

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite classes are shadow and powertech. Bounty hunter story/dialogue is hilarious. I usually tank because there's always a need for tanks and it's easy and fun. With powertech, you get mako as your healer, and she's your starting companion. I prefer shadow over assassin simply because they get their healer (tharan Cedrax) on nar shadda, rather than assassin's healer on hoth. Well, and tharan comes with holiday who's fun. And I like the animations for shadow better. There's just something much more satisfying to me about killing a mob with 1-2 boulders in quick succession, rather than 1-2 little bolts of lightning. And scoundrel is fairly fun as a healer tbh. Especially after you get your melee tank Bowdaar on nar shadda. He's one ****** wookie, and reminds me a lot of kotor 2, which is cool.