Too much Aim ratio?

kuchdut

So I have a 55 Mando that is a blast to play, but I'm beginning to wonder if I "built' him correctly...I have done no ops or FP's...lots of PvP. That said, my gear is as good as I can get it (without the 30/31 item enhancements).

All Armoring (8x): 74 Aim / 61 End

All Mods (9x): 70 Aim / 48 End / 26 Pwr

All Augs are (7x): 28 aim / 18 End

Aim / Pwr Barrell & 2 Pwr color crystals

Ear, Implants, Relics (from PvP) are solid, Aim orientated pieces (can't recall names)

I played w/ a slightly lesser geared buddy of mine (not sure if his skill tree) and it seemed as if he was hitting harder than I was in a couple Heroics we were doing...coulda been rotation, could it be I have too much Aim and not enough Surge or Crit mixed in?

At present I have 2636 Aim

Crit chance is 20% // Crit multi is 60.5%

Ranged Acc: 101% // Tech Acc: 111.32%

Surge Rating is 154

So I'm wondering if I should be reallocating some of my Aim into Surge or Crit...or maybe I just to l2p

You need more Surge. Softcap is somewhere around 74-75%. Mind you, DPS Mandos need accuracy to reliably hit Champions and bosses. As I recall, the value is around 110% on specials and 100% on basic attacks.

20% unbuffed crit is enough. Stack Power and Surge.

Edited by Helig

So I have a 55 Mando that is a blast to play, but I'm beginning to wonder if I "built' him correctly...I have done no ops or FP's...lots of PvP. That said, my gear is as good as I can get it (without the 30/31 item enhancements).

All Armoring (8x): 74 Aim / 61 End

All Mods (9x): 70 Aim / 48 End / 26 Pwr

All Augs are (7x): 28 aim / 18 End

Aim / Pwr Barrell & 2 Pwr color crystals

Ear, Implants, Relics (from PvP) are solid, Aim orientated pieces (can't recall names)

I played w/ a slightly lesser geared buddy of mine (not sure if his skill tree) and it seemed as if he was hitting harder than I was in a couple Heroics we were doing...coulda been rotation, could it be I have too much Aim and not enough Surge or Crit mixed in?

At present I have 2636 Aim

Crit chance is 20% // Crit multi is 60.5%

Ranged Acc: 101% // Tech Acc: 111.32%

Surge Rating is 154

So I'm wondering if I should be reallocating some of my Aim into Surge or Crit...or maybe I just to l2p

Well, for one, you need to change out your mods. The unlettered mods, Agile 27X for example, are the ones that you want.

They have better stat distribution and while you will lose some Aim, you will gain back more Power with the end result being a DPS increase.

If all you want to do is PvP, then you don't need your accuracy that high, since players don't have the built in 10% miss chance that bosses do.

If you want to PvE then I would drop it just a little bit to between 99 and 100.

Other than that, go with Power/Surge and Power/Accuracy enhancements and you should be fine.

Edited by DariusCalera

You need more Surge. Softcap is somewhere around 74-75%. Mind you, DPS Mandos need accuracy to reliably hit Champions and bosses. As I recall, the value is around 110% on specials and 100% on basic attacks.

So Surge should be @ 74%? Cuz mine is @ ~10%...So I'm WAY off...I believe I read someplace that 395 Surge is the # you are shooting for. I guess I'll throw on my old Surge Augs and see what happens.

Thanks!

Well, for one, you need to change out your mods. The unlettered mods, Agile 27X for example, are the ones that you want.

They have better stat distribution and while you will lose some Aim, you will gain back more Power with the end result being a DPS increase.

If all you want to do is PvP, then you don't need your accuracy that high, since players don't have the built in 10% miss chance that bosses do.

If you want to PvE then I would drop it just a little bit to between 99 and 100.

Other than that, go with Power/Surge and Power/Accuracy enhancements and you should be fine.

I'm presently using the 28A's (I'm not too worried about PvP, I have a separate set that is all PvP stuff). I don't recall the stats on the X's, but I'll look into them.

Is there a Hard # for Surge? I see 395 mentioned on the forums, but I thought I also read that "Main Stat" is the end all, be all...which I am beginning to doubt.

Thanks for the input.

I'm presently using the 28A's (I'm not too worried about PvP, I have a separate set that is all PvP stuff). I don't recall the stats on the X's, but I'll look into them.

Is there a Hard # for Surge? I see 395 mentioned on the forums, but I thought I also read that "Main Stat" is the end all, be all...which I am beginning to doubt.

Thanks for the input.

Replace the Agile 28A's with Agile 28, or Agile 30's, if you can get them. Like I said, they have a better dps stat distribution.

Your main stat is not always the "end all, be all". It depends on what gives you the best dps boost. For augments, always go with the Reflex Augments. But for things like mods where the stat allocation varies the best ones are the ones that give you the most dps stats.

Agile 28

Agile 28A

If you take a look at these two mods and compare, by switching from the 28A's to 28's, you lose 17 Aim but gain 33 Power.

As for a Surge cap, I'm not really sure. I went with getting my accuracy up first and once I got it where it needed to be I geared for Surge. You can, if possible, disregard getting Crit rating on gear and just stack Power and Surge and you should be fine.

Ok, so it sounds like I should swap out my 28A's for 28's, and have my ranged (and tech?) Accuracy between 99-100...then stack Surge?

I appreciate the time responding to my inquiry...here's to building the better 'mando...Now I just gotta find the 28's...seems everyone is selling the A's

This. If you PvP you should go for Surge (75%), and as much Aim and Power possible. Avoid alacrity and crit as much as possible. Some may say that accuracy is needed, but I have focused on Power and Surge.

You don't mention the set bonus. For a gunnery commando the 2-piece set bonus is a must have. The 4-piece you need to get in the long run, but it's not very significant.

^^^ This may have something to do with it...my PvE gear is simply oranges that I like the look of, that have crafted 28's in them (can't afford the 30's or 31's). So I do not have any PvE Set Bonus. What is the set I should be looking @ for PvE?

(For my PvP set, I have all pieces...not the top tier stuff)

^^^ This may have something to do with it...my PvE gear is simply oranges that I like the look of, that have crafted 28's in them (can't afford the 30's or 31's). So I do not have any PvE Set Bonus. What is the set I should be looking @ for PvE?

(For my PvP set, I have all pieces...not the top tier stuff)

You can transfer set bonuses to your orange stuff now. Just move the armor mod from a set to your orange stuff and you'll see the bonus stats taking effect in the item popup. Very handy if you like a specific look and don't want to be a clone trooper (dot dot dot).

Anyway for dps, 2 pieces of the campaign eliminator set will give you a nice +15% crit chance to grav rounds which undoubtedly will increase your dps output by quite a bit as it is the most used skill by gunnery commandos.

Edited by BounceDK

Ok, so I feel foolish asking this question...but I won't know unless I do...Perviously mentioned was that the Surge softcap is 75%...I'm no where NEAR that even after swapping out my Aim/End Augs for Surge/End...If I look @ my Crit Multiplier (67.8%), it's shows that my Surge is 322 (17.8%)...

Am I reading something incorrectly?

i'm still working on getting the Agile 28's to replace my Agile 28A's, but I wanted to ask about the Surge Softcap.

Is there a # (395 or 900 or 1 BILLION) that I should be shooting for in regards to Surge & Power IF I'm level 55 w/ Crafted item enhancement? I plan on running FP's, SM's, etc (but all I've done is PvP and Solo at this point), I just want to make sure I have my gear set up to give me the best chance for success.

thanks for all the help

Ok, so I feel foolish asking this question...but I won't know unless I do...Perviously mentioned was that the Surge softcap is 75%...I'm no where NEAR that even after swapping out my Aim/End Augs for Surge/End...If I look @ my Crit Multiplier (67.8%), it's shows that my Surge is 322 (17.8%)...

Am I reading something incorrectly?

i'm still working on getting the Agile 28's to replace my Agile 28A's, but I wanted to ask about the Surge Softcap.

Is there a # (395 or 900 or 1 BILLION) that I should be shooting for in regards to Surge & Power IF I'm level 55 w/ Crafted item enhancement? I plan on running FP's, SM's, etc (but all I've done is PvP and Solo at this point), I just want to make sure I have my gear set up to give me the best chance for success.

thanks for all the help

Switch back to the Reflex augments. The aim will be much more important than the surge.

The 70-75% surge softcap means the critical multiplier overall. So, for you, that's the 67.8%. Although, this will drop some when switch back to Reflex augments.

The base for crit multiplier (without adding anything to it) is 50%. Surge is what increases that number. Often we interchange the terms "surge" and "crit multiplier". Surge rating is the number of points of surge, which in turn leads to an increase in your crit multiplier percentage. When we say surge soft cap is 70-75%, we mean the overall crit multiplier, not the additional percentage from surge.

TL;DR: You're pretty close to the soft cap, just need to add a bit more surge. Look for Adept Enhancements. I'm pretty sure those are the ones that have power/surge. That's what you'll want. Once you have your accuracy to 100%, of course.

Switch back to the Reflex augments. The aim will be much more important than the surge.

The 70-75% surge softcap means the critical multiplier overall. So, for you, that's the 67.8%. Although, this will drop some when switch back to Reflex augments.

The base for crit multiplier (without adding anything to it) is 50%. Surge is what increases that number. Often we interchange the terms "surge" and "crit multiplier". Surge rating is the number of points of surge, which in turn leads to an increase in your crit multiplier percentage. When we say surge soft cap is 70-75%, we mean the overall crit multiplier, not the additional percentage from surge.

TL;DR: You're pretty close to the soft cap, just need to add a bit more surge. Look for Adept Enhancements. I'm pretty sure those are the ones that have power/surge. That's what you'll want. Once you have your accuracy to 100%, of course.

Thanks so much for the info...it's really helped. I've placed my Reflex Augs back in...I guess I have realized that outside of Raiding (etc...), I may have the best AFFORDABLE point allocation (28's are all I can afford ATM).

I presently have 2500 Aim // 100%+ Acc // 65% Crit Multi // 918 Power. The only tweak I was considering was dropping 3 of my Adept Augs for Overkills. Effectively dropping Aim by 84 but adding 96 Power...But even this leaves me way shy of the #'s I need for Surge.

...Time to start hitting some HM's I guess :)

Thanks so much for the info...it's really helped. I've placed my Reflex Augs back in...I guess I have realized that outside of Raiding (etc...), I may have the best AFFORDABLE point allocation (28's are all I can afford ATM).

I presently have 2500 Aim // 100%+ Acc // 65% Crit Multi // 918 Power. The only tweak I was considering was dropping 3 of my Adept Augs for Overkills. Effectively dropping Aim by 84 but adding 96 Power...But even this leaves me way shy of the #'s I need for Surge.

...Time to start hitting some HM's I guess :)

Definitely! Looks like you're doing pretty well. Keep in mind that you're unlikely to reach the recommended caps (except for accuracy) before you're at 72ish level gear.

I'm a little confused when you talk about dropping 3 Adept Augs for Overkills. I assume it's just a typo, as I don't think there are any Adept Augs, but I could be wrong.

While I'm no expert, what you should be looking for is the Reflex Armorings (Aim over Endurance), Agile Mods (Aim and Power, keeping in mind that unlettered is best, followed by A lettered, if that's all you can get for now), and Initiative Enhancements (Accuracy/Power) and Adept Enhancements (Power/Surge), once you've hit 100% accuracy. Always use the Reflex Augments, since one of the recommended skills to take in the skill tree is the additional 9% to Aim. This brings Aim up pretty close to power, and adds a bit to crit chance.

Again, Unlettered are better than lettered. And for DPS, A lettered (higher main stat) are better than B lettered (higher endurance).

As I said, I'm certainly no expert, so I could be off on some of this, but it looks to me like your'e certainly on the right track.

I'm a little confused when you talk about dropping 3 Adept Augs for Overkills. I assume it's just a typo, as I don't think there are any Adept Augs, but I could be wrong.

Doh...you are correct...I was thinking of the Enhancements...I swapped out on of the Adepts for an Overkill. For the Augs, I was basically considering swapping 3 Reflex for Surge, but I hate to lose the Aim...

I just looked into a Parsing app...I may give that a try and see what the Dummy says.

Thanks again!