The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Weilding a Lightsaber

SwoopingLion

So it seems to be established in the pseudo-physics that explains how a lightsaber works that the blade generates a huge gyroscopic effect when ignited and that anyone not used to using one would have a very hard time coping with this, let alone using it proficiently.

But, in the EU it seems that every random bloke or girl who picks one up can use one, even in some cases against actual trained Jedi/Sith. Even Han in the film is able to use one (albeit as a meat cleaver, it's hardly "skill" he displays).

So is the gyroscopic effect overstated to the point where it's not actually that big a deal, or is it regularly overlooked by writers of the EU? I guess in Han's case there was very little thought put into how a lightsaber actually works at that point, let alone the application of any "physical" principles.

Edited by SwoopingLion

Han used a saber for a very simple purpose, he wasn't using it to fight so that can be excused as he was just cutting something open. As for others, I can't really recall anyone using a lightsaber that isn't force sensitive that is canon. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Han used a saber for a very simple purpose, he wasn't using it to fight so that can be excused as he was just cutting something open. As for others, I can't really recall anyone using a lightsaber that isn't force sensitive that is canon.

A case could be made for General Grievous.

True, but could someone more versed in the General's history explain to me why he states he was 'trained in the Jedi arts by Count Dooku'.

Because he was? Makes sense considering Dooku was a former Jedi, and Grevious would no doubt be fighting against other Jedi. Didn't think this would need explaining, unless I am missing the question. :p

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

But I still find it peculiar that he would learn such a refined form as a massive Kaleesh Cyborg.

Everyone could always learn something new, wouldn't be good to be sloppy against an opponent and who better to train you then one of the former top Jedi of the Order?

This is what bugs me. The blade of the lightsaber isn't solid, it has no substance or counterweight. Have you ever tried wielding a flashlight? Not very elegant. Someone without force powers or artificial help (i.e. General Grevious) should not be able to actually participate in combat with a lightsaber.

Agreed on Han's "use" (except there isn't even any sort of reactionary force from the gyro but there we go).

There's quite a few cases where untrained people use a lightsaber (sometimes against a Jedi). It happens quite regularly in the Clone Wars series and I'm sure I've read it a few times in various books.

This is what bugs me. The blade of the lightsaber isn't solid, it has no substance or counterweight. Have you ever tried wielding a flashlight? Not very elegant. Someone without force powers or artificial help (i.e. General Grevious) should not be able to actually participate in combat with a lightsaber.

I can't recall any that have done so normally. In fact, as I recall a Jedi Master(can't recall his name) lost his connection to The Force and when he tried fighting with a lightsaber he failed miserably.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

But I still find it peculiar that he would learn such a refined form as a massive Kaleesh Cyborg.

It's hardly refined in Grevious' case to be fair. He basically just swings them around wildly using his cyber-arms' unnatural movements to his advantage more than any real refined technique.

It's hardly refined in Grevious' case to be fair. He basically just swings them around wildly using his cyber-arms' unnatural movements to his advantage more than any real refined technique.

Count Dooku is a very high master of the Makashi form, if that is what Grievous uses... just seems strange he wouldn't go Djem-So.

Count Dooku is a very high master of the Makashi form, if that is what Grievous uses... just seems strange he wouldn't go Djem-So.

Actually from the info I have read Greivous mastered all of the forms of lightsaber combat and would use all of them but seemed to lean more towards Makashi unknowingly likely do to his tutelage from Dooku.