SWTOR Story Discussion And Thoughts

Kingopersia

Hey guys,

First off, sorry for the long post, that's just how I get my points across. So here's my third post on my thoughts

of the game. A lot of it relates to the story and the characters because those have always been the top strengths

of the game (among a few others). First off, Bioware has made some great games with great stories and great,

interesting characters. I see how they're trying to do it in SWTOR but it's not as great as it can be compared

to Dragon Age or Mass Effect. KOTOR and Dragon Age both had great settings and characters but SWTOR doesn't live up to previous Bioware games as much as it should have. I think the companions and any important

characters can be a lot more interesting. The only interesting characters I've seen so far are Kira Carsen because of her wit and Lt. Rusk for how serious and no - nonsense he is (Jedi Knight companions). The characters lack the depth and emotion compared to characters from previous Bioware games. In my opinion, one reason for this is not providing, not only, the right amount of voice over but also the right type. When I say the right type, I mean voice tones with different emotions for different situations. The voices just sound really bland and boring. Deep and emotional characters are what make a good story. Another thing I think they should have done with the stories is make them more in depth and interesting. They should be engaging like other games with good stories. Metal Gear

Solid is an example because that's my favorite video game story. It's so long and there are a lot of twists and turns

and it's very close - knit. Keep in mind, I've only played 2 of the stories fully so if you guys have your own

opinions on the stories that differ from mine please let me know. Some of the class stories are like this but

there storytelling can be a lot better. The Jedi Knight storyline is very clichéd and predictable. I've also played

through the Smuggler story which was a little better. That had a good twist at the end of chapter 1. Here's what

happened...

As you're delivering the contraband to the different planets, Risha mentions Nok Drayen and the fortune of his you're chasing. Also you'll notice a guy in carbonite on your ship. That is Nok Drayen who is also Risha's Dad. He is the leader of the Nubrillion civilization Risha mentions. Therefore, she's the heiress.

I mean that is awesome, I never would have expected that!

A good way to keep the stories "close - knit" is to make the characters meet each other a little more often. In the

Jedi Knight and Smuggler stories, you mostly talk to the big bad bosses on holocoms, not really in person. Here's

an example from the Smuggler story....

You talk to Skavak and Rogan The Butcher on holocoms the whole time. You only meet them when you finally see them for the last time. Skavak dies and Rogan makes a deal with you to help kill the Voidwolf. If I remember correctly, you get the choice to kill him or let him live.

Another example of good storytelling was in the KOTOR story...

Throughout the game, you'll hear of a character named Revan. They'll say he's such a bad guy and that he worked with Darth Malak to find the Star Maps you're trying to find throughout the game. He's only shown in flashbacks establishing that he was defeated years ago. They never show Revan's face, he wears a Mandalorian mask. They build up this Revan guy so much as the game progresses. Turns out, the character you're playing is Revan. He was defeated in battle by Bastilla Shan but not killed. His memory was wiped so he'd forget his evil dark side position. Darth Malak tells this to him when you meet him halfway through the game. Bastilla and the Jedi Council were keeping this information from Revan so he wouldn't cling back to the dark side. Darth Malak was also Revan's apprentice and companion until he turned on Revan by destroying the ship he was on while battling the jedi (knocking him unconscious and being taken away by the Jedi).

When I found all that out, I was mind blown! The idea that the characters were so closely related was cool. That was the first Bioware game I'd played and then I knew Bioware was another great video game company I should keep my eye on. I really don't get why Bioware didn't do their magic from previous games other than the fact that more voice over would have cost a lot more money. Anyway, that's my post for now. I hope Bioware reads and you guys agree. Let me know what ya'll think.

Edited by Kingopersia

I was really hoping companions would have been like Mass Effect, they still have plenty of time to work on them more.

Yeah, it would have been cool if you could talk to them whenever you wanted and if they had alot more conversations but, once again, that would have cost a lot more money because of the voice over. I really think Bioware is restricted with the fact that everything has to have VO.