[Guide] The Sith Sorcerer's Codex

AstralFire

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The skills you take from Lightning are both T1 skills and are Electric Induction (3 points for a 9% Force cost reduction) and Reserves (2 points for +100 Force points).

These mean you can stay in a fight longer, which is a Sorcerers achilles heel.

Thanks. Was reading the trees upside down...

Curious as to not taking lightning spire, is the extra range not useful?

edit: In the pve lightning spec

Lightning spire is only really useful in a few situations, mainly when running with groups. The two main advantages, is that it allows for more options in positioning when dealing with encounter mechanics, and it enables you to return to dealing damage faster, after executing movement mechanics.

The skills you take from Lightning are both T1 skills and are Electric Induction (3 points for a 9% Force cost reduction) and Reserves (2 points for +100 Force points).

These mean you can stay in a fight longer, which is a Sorcerers achilles heel.

This.

very very but very good thread! ty a lot!!

if u dont mind i will bother u sometimes with pvt mesages regarding Healing (Corruption)pvp wise tree and its posible variations !

once again ty!

ps1: u dont have or happen to know smiliar manual for BH focus on Bodyguard spec?

ps2: once again ty :)

Hey, first, great guide! It's this guide that made me pick sorcerer.

I have checked also the "sage" original version, and I think they was a small error in the madness section.

In the sage version, we can read "Both are periodic damage based specializations, but the Balance Sage has less effective burst, is considerably more FP efficient, and can easily DoT down several opponents at once".

In the sorcerer version, it say that the assassin have less burst, but I think you meant the sorcerer ?

Sry for the typos, english ain't my native tongue ;)

I think surge rating is something that can be valuable, but it's hard to say without seeing endgame content yet. So far the leveling content and instances aren't too bad. But faster heals don't always mean you run out of force faster. It just means you cast them faster. Assuming you are disciplined enough to be a good healer, you shouldn't be casting heals just to cast them. You have to plan and know the situation to be a good healer.

This is a very good guide.

The only question I have is about the PVP build. Why not take lightning spire to give additional range to lighting strike, chain lightning and thundering blast. Is that not more valuable than other 1 point talents such as 1% critical chance?

For example, in a PVP situation where players are bunched up that extra 5 meters can mean throwing a nasty chain lightning their way while being out of their range. In a 1v1 fight it can mean getting an opening attack on someone before they're in range.

Don't take this as an attack, I'm just asking the question and hoping to understand the logic. I'm hoping that you come back with a good reason so I can go "Ohhhh, I get it". I'm OCD about not leaving my builds at 2/3, 4/5, etc. talent points so I'd like to go 3/3 in the critical % talent but I cannot stop thinking about the usefulness of lightning spire.

Edited by Blazzen

I am a level 30 Sorcerer. I spec'd lightening, but just respec'd after I felt I was not doing sufficient damage. I currently repec'd into the Creeping Terror (3/7/31) tree. However, because I am only 30, it looks more like (0/0/21). I was wondering if someone could help me find a proper rotation used for both weak targets and strong targets, using this build. I find myself not knowing what to do and randomly casting stuff. Also, if aggro is pulled on the Sorcerer, what is the correct way to continue DPSing? Overload and Force Slow? Thanks.

- A struggling Madness Sorcerer.

Edited by Taral

Hello, I love your guide. I found a mistake(?) in your priority list for Madness spec:

0. Death Field

1. Affliction

2. Creeping Terror

3. Force Lightning (Lightning Barrage)

4. Crushing Darkness (if no DoT present, or Wrath is active)

5. Chain Lightning (Wrath active)

6. Project

7. Force Lightning

Chain Lighting is a 10 point skill for Lighting Tree, no way for a Madness Sorc with your build to get that. (I noticed it's the same in the Sage thread)

Actually this rotation is for both spec he propose. If you use the Creeping Terror spec, you keep #2 and don't use #5. If you use the other spec he propose (0-13-28 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201Zfzr0dZcMfRsMkrc.1) you don't get #2 but have #5.

Hello, I love your guide. I found a mistake(?) in your priority list for Madness spec:

0. Death Field

1. Affliction

2. Creeping Terror

3. Force Lightning (Lightning Barrage)

4. Crushing Darkness (if no DoT present, or Wrath is active)

5. Chain Lightning (Wrath active)

6. Project

7. Force Lightning

Chain Lighting is a 10 point skill for Lighting Tree, no way for a Madness Sorc with your build to get that. (I noticed it's the same in the Sage thread)

I am a level 30 Sorcerer. I spec'd lightening, but just respec'd after I felt I was not doing sufficient damage. I currently repec'd into the Creeping Terror (3/7/31) tree. However, because I am only 30, it looks more like (0/0/21). I was wondering if someone could help me find a proper rotation used for both weak targets and strong targets, using this build. I find myself not knowing what to do and randomly casting stuff. Also, if aggro is pulled on the Sorcerer, what is the correct way to continue DPSing? Overload and Force Slow? Thanks.

- A struggling Madness Sorcerer.

If you pull aggro, you should have Cloud Mind by now. http://www.torhead.com/ability/b7zGuJD

Also we get another ability, Extrication at level 42 to help lower aggro. http://www.torhead.com/ability/6SXb66J

Edited by toekneeg

Why no mention of the hybrid 0/25/16 spec?

From memory I believe it is: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZbsMrdoruzZcMcRs0z.1

Its a bit more effect in most group content than most of those listed.

I second this even though it doesn't have to be 0/25/16 (i personally use 0/13/28), but the Hybrid spec is very very very viable and from tests nowadays (using just math) seems to be the #1 dps spec for sorc. but lacking a mention of this very good spec seems odd seeing as it just might be the best dps spec for a sorc

I second this even though it doesn't have to be 0/25/16 (i personally use 0/13/28), but the Hybrid spec is very very very viable and from tests nowadays (using just math) seems to be the #1 dps spec for sorc. but lacking a mention of this very good spec seems odd seeing as it just might be the best dps spec for a sorc

Also concure, I've been using this Hybrid PvP spec since the last beta http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZbsMMdRrhZcRcMsMz.1 and I would bet that it's PvE counterpart http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfsRbdoMuzZcRcMs0z.1 will end up as the top DPS build using a rotation like this:

Affliction

Force Lightning (Until Wrath Proc)

Crushing Darkness (from Wrath Proc)

Chain Lightning (from Wrath Proc when CD is on cooldown)

Lightning Strike (from Wrath Proc when CD and CL are on cooldown)

Add in Recklessness and Polarity Shift when possible.

Note: The 2 points in Subversion can be moved somewhere else in the Lightning Tree, they're there because if you keep up with Wrath procs you will occasionally cast Lightning Strike as both Chain Lightning and Crushing Darkness are on cooldown.

The force regen is incredible even in the longest encounters and it's extremely mobile with no CL cooldown and everything else being instant cast.

The PvP build just takes the mana regen talents and moves them to PvP talents for more stuns/roots.

Ummm - read the first post through and you'll see that it's in the Madness description (the 0/13/28 one)