Carnage - Do you use Rupture? If so when?

rmdw

I've noticed from a few parses on torparse where Carnage Marauders have been using Rupture.

At the moment this isn't even on my bars since I switched from Annihilation... Do you use Rupture? What priority do you give it/when do you use it?

Don't use Rupture. If you get extremely lucky in a parse, you can use it and it will produce higher DPS, but you're really throwing the dice, and somewhat needlessly since it is possible to parse very high without it. Here's a Combat sentinel on my server (Rupture is "Cauterize" for Sentinels): http://www.torparse.com/a/288184/time/1371282841/1371283141/0/Damage+Dealt

The problem with Rupture is that it has a fairly low chance to proc Execute. In fact Massacre has more than twice the chance to proc Execute, even if you already have the Massacre proc rolling. You simply don't have enough Rage in Carnage to use enough Massacres to guarantee an Execute proc in time for your next Gore window if you're spending two Rage on a Rupture.

This is what I mean by "getting lucky". It is *possible* to parse with Rupture and see really good results, because it's a question of RNG as to whether or not you get Execute in time. That RNG is significantly ameliorated if you use Massacre instead of Rupture. When I parse with Rupture/Cauterize on my Combat sentinel, I generally see four or five Gore/Precision Slash windows where I don't have Execute/Opportune Strike proc'd (in a 300 second parse). If I parse without it, I almost never see any such windows. The DPS gain from Rupture/Cauterize over Massacre/Blade Rush is much smaller than the DPS loss from hitting a Gore/Precision Slash window without Execute/Opportune Strike available, especially once you factor in the higher Rage/Focus cost of such a window.

That's why you don't use it to proc execute, you only use it after you've already proc'd execute and you are sitting at plenty of rage and enough time before gore comes off of cd so that it doesn't effect your gore window negatively. Edited by WiththeForc

That's why you don't use it to proc execute, you only use it after you've already proc'd execute and you are sitting at plenty of rage and enough time before gore comes off of cd so that it doesn't effect your gore window negatively.

This is definitely good advice. I think once I'm better at playing Combat, that's what I'll do. It's a subtlety though, because Rupture really doesn't do that much more damage than Massacre, especially with an armor debuff.

It deals internal damage so it doesn't benefit from gore.

The only time I use it is between gore windows when everything else is on cooldown and I have enough force anyways. Always try to use it before using zen if you have the 4 piece bonus or before using a click relic/adrenal.

Edited by atschai

It deals internal damage so it doesn't benefit from gore.

The only time I use it is between gore windows when everything else is on cooldown and I have enough force anyways. Always try to use it before using zen if you have the 4 piece bonus or before using a click relic/adrenal.

Agreed. This tactic and mobile/phase fights adds a bit more dmg. In the end nothing really game changing. But if you can get an extra 10-12k dmg from Rupture in a boss fight without jacking up your rotation.....then do it. Personally I always have it somewhere in my rotation. Good for nuking a mob, and wait for it to die as you engage another mob (trash/low level of course)