The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Where have all my Canon gone?

TyboJames

What happens to all of these discussions after Episode VII when everything post ROTJ is discredited?

We know that Movie Canon is the way, the truth, and the light. So, does that mean we will have a list of novels and comics that will need to be blacklisted from the current EU tier of Canon when it is completely destroyed?

Although there are discrepancies, the movies and novels did a good job of avoiding each other on the grand scheme of things, but when Episode VII is release, we are looking at a large scale attack on possibly everything post ROTJ.

Did one of the prequels completely nullify any comics or novels? I do not know enough about the EU to answer that, although I would be interested to know.

We are staring an earth shattering realization in the face.

The Great Purge of Canon.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't have our cake and eat it too... This is an example of what we view as "Canon"

Old Republic EU - PREQUELS (and Clone Wars EU) - In between EU - OLD TRILOGY - Post ROTJ Eu

So are you saying we will have two universes? One with the above as a basis, and one with just the movies?

As to my recollection, there wasn't anything huge that was retconned when the Prequels came out. There were some issues with Dark Empire, but that was fixed with Palpatine gunning for immortality. But as for the future movies....they could always make a workaround instead of just destroying hundreds of novels/comics that authors worked on to expand the Star Wars universe, that just seems like a big "F U" to the authors.

Not saying they can't or wouldn't, but it would just seem really wrong. Its not like DC/Marvel where everyone is overhauled every decade or so.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I think the route they are taking on it is what marvel did.

Different universes. Like standard, ultimate and what have you.

Least I hope that is the approach they are taking.

No no no. This is the worst idea ever ever ever. No offense or anything but just no. Why? Because it creates an

But no, jokes aside. The continuity system is the best thing that happened to Star Wars, well since Star Wars. The best thing is that it provides a linear universe were one event can have an impact on everything else. Take the Book of Sith, its a compendium made by Darth Sidious made from various texts from different eras. One of those includes a diary of Darth Malgus which Sidious says he gave to Vader for 'inspiration'. Is that not totally awesome?

And take TCW Younglings arc, the training ship the Younglings are on dates back to this very era and not only that, as the current Republic insignia emblazoned on its hull. Huyang, the droid who trains the Jedi, may very well have taught Satele Shan, or your own Jedi Knight. That would not have been possible if not for a linear universe.

It also allows for much of the discussion that happens on these forums to happen, I mean how could we possible discuss Exar Kun vs Vader is they existed in separate universes?

And finally, to quote Leland Chee: "In the end, my ongoing vision is that as long as there’s the Holocron, Star Wars will not reboot."

How many times has the Marvel/DC universe rebooted? How many alternate stories does Superman have? How many times has the Joker died? Star Wars, because it exists in a singular universe, will never reboot. Do we want 10 different stories for Luke Skywalker? An alternate universe in which Sidious was just an old man and Vader a guy in a flight suit? Now you may be saying I'm exaggerating, but already by creating an alternate post-ROTJ universe your changing Luke's story, the stories of his children, his powers, their powers. Everything. And in the end you get to a point where nobody really knows what the hell is going on, you've just got disembodied characters floating about waiting to be plucked by some random dude and stuck into a movie, comic or game.

Simply put, creating an alternative universe would be the worst thing that Disney could possible do. And if they want to kill Star Wars, this is the best way to do it.

Well Beni, Star Wars does have at at least 1 Alternate Universe with Star Wars Infinities...but then its just focusing on ANH, ESB and ROTJ..not really an entire universe, but there ya go.
Well yeah, but that is just non-canon and just a bit of fun. Its exploring the sole benefit of alternative universes, being able to explore 'what ifs'.

Simply put, creating an alternative universe would be the worst thing that Disney could possible do. And if they want to kill Star Wars, this is the best way to do it.

they hired JJ Abrams. so I wouldn't expect the new star wars movies to be any dif than his trek movies. he doesn't care about canon or what has come before, he just cares about what HE does in HIS movie.

by the way, lucas set certain time periods that we off limits to the EU. the time period after rotj was the time frame his next chapters were going to take place. don't know if that still holds true now that Disney owns everything. also, you have the one off movies that will probably wipe a lot of the EU out anyway.

Besides when a character dies, they actually stay dead. Well with the exception of Palps, but even he eventually was killed. While its nice to have characters and fans of the characters, Star Wars doesn't hold onto the characters forever(unless they are just not written about anymore). This makes it much easier, for new characters to come in and take the place of the old that died..

I mean lets be honest, NO comic fan wants their fav character to die and for the most part eventually they are brought back to life in DC/Marvel in fact so many times, death in their comics has become something of a joke, in fact they have actually joked about death a few times within their comics.

Having alternate realities is also worry some because they could just bring back a character that died, into the main universe and have them live again.

Or they bring pretty much the exact same character like in the main universe, only maybe a different gender or personality and have them fight in the main universe.

they hired JJ Abrams. so I wouldn't expect the new star wars movies to be any dif than his trek movies. he doesn't care about canon or what has come before, he just cares about what HE does in HIS movie.
Oh please. There is no such thing as singular continuity in the Star Trek universe, Star Trek rebooted because its made the decision to become a multiverse. Don't make silly assumptions that JJ is some kind of megalomaniacal freak who doesn't care about anything because Star Trek fell foul of its own failings.

JJ was merely doing what any director with sense would do when dealing with a multiverse.

Edited by Beniboybling

by the way, lucas set certain time periods that we off limits to the EU. the time period after rotj was the time frame his next chapters were going to take place. don't know if that still holds true now that Disney owns everything. also, you have the one off movies that will probably wipe a lot of the EU out anyway.

We are not talking about Star Wars, the reboot. We are talking about Episode VII, the continuation.

Do you think Leeland Chee will be or has been consulted? I haven't read anything on that.
Well lets be fair, we haven't read all that much about anything. However Leland Chee is still the Keeper of the Holocron and Disney would be foolish to fire him. Really, I'm not expecting Disney to make much change to the continuity system. It works, why fix it? G-Canon will likely stay in place at it encompasses the movies, novelizations of said movies and any sourcebooks etc. that deal with the movies. So the sequels regardless of who produces them will still be G-Canon.

Lucas will probably just stop making statements about Star Wars, nothing more.

It seems like he has often opened his mouth, and disappointed someone. Lol.

You are gonna get that with anyone, who says anything about something lol.

Guy 1: "I like apples."

Guy 2: "I hate apples."

Guy 1: "You're dead to me."

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

What happens to all of these discussions after Episode VII when everything post ROTJ is discredited?

We know that Movie Canon is the way, the truth, and the light. So, does that mean we will have a list of novels and comics that will need to be blacklisted from the current EU tier of Canon when it is completely destroyed?

Although there are discrepancies, the movies and novels did a good job of avoiding each other on the grand scheme of things, but when Episode VII is release, we are looking at a large scale attack on possibly everything post ROTJ.

Did one of the prequels completely nullify any comics or novels? I do not know enough about the EU to answer that, although I would be interested to know.

We are staring an earth shattering realization in the face.

The Great Purge of Canon.

To the quote in red yes movie canon triumph everything but i do not think they will destroy all EU book canon

after eps VI. They now alot of fans like it.But we will see.

No no no. This is the worst idea ever ever ever. No offense or anything but just no. Why? Because it creates an

But no, jokes aside. The continuity system is the best thing that happened to Star Wars, well since Star Wars. The best thing is that it provides a linear universe were one event can have an impact on everything else. Take the Book of Sith, its a compendium made by Darth Sidious made from various texts from different eras. One of those includes a diary of Darth Malgus which Sidious says he gave to Vader for 'inspiration'. Is that not totally awesome?

And take TCW Younglings arc, the training ship the Younglings are on dates back to this very era and not only that, as the current Republic insignia emblazoned on its hull. Huyang, the droid who trains the Jedi, may very well have taught Satele Shan, or your own Jedi Knight. That would not have been possible if not for a linear universe.

It also allows for much of the discussion that happens on these forums to happen, I mean how could we possible discuss Exar Kun vs Vader is they existed in separate universes?

And finally, to quote Leland Chee: "In the end, my ongoing vision is that as long as there’s the Holocron, Star Wars will not reboot."

How many times has the Marvel/DC universe rebooted? How many alternate stories does Superman have? How many times has the Joker died? Star Wars, because it exists in a singular universe, will never reboot. Do we want 10 different stories for Luke Skywalker? An alternate universe in which Sidious was just an old man and Vader a guy in a flight suit? Now you may be saying I'm exaggerating, but already by creating an alternate post-ROTJ universe your changing Luke's story, the stories of his children, his powers, their powers. Everything. And in the end you get to a point where nobody really knows what the hell is going on, you've just got disembodied characters floating about waiting to be plucked by some random dude and stuck into a movie, comic or game.

Problem is you get A LOT of inconsistancies. I keep harping on Bariss. Because her story was radically changed, how do you go from a Healer on Drongar, to plotting bombs and murdering people, to suddenly back in the saddle after being convicted for being guilty so she can cannon die on Kashyykk?

Sorry there are so many things that TCW did, and now you want to have movies, but without completely rewriting the EU, what do you do?

Problem is you get A LOT of inconsistancies. I keep harping on Bariss. Because her story was radically changed, how do you go from a Healer on Drongar, to plotting bombs and murdering people, to suddenly back in the saddle after being convicted for being guilty so she can cannon die on Kashyykk?

Sorry there are so many things that TCW did, and now you want to have movies, but without completely rewriting the EU, what do you do?

Retcons are a necessary evil. That's all I say.

That said, the dark side can have some pretty corrupting effects on people. Just look at Anakin. So I don't have a hard time believing her radical change in character, especially as she was going for the 'greater good' angle. Regardless she's the last Jedi I would have picked to fall.

And I expect her death is 'in-limbo' so to speak. I'd like to see some resolution there.

That said, the dark side can have some pretty corrupting effects on people. Just look at Anakin. So I don't have a hard time believing her radical change in character, especially as she was going for the 'greater good' angle. Regardless she's the last Jedi I would have picked to fall.

And I expect her death is 'in-limbo' so to speak. I'd like to see some resolution there.

I'm sure they'll do something for Ventress too. To explain how she ended up in Dooku's possession on Boz Pity.

Well here's the thing. I did an example of a small retconn. They go roughshod over all of the EU, that's one HELL of a retconn.

So again, what do you do, if EP VII just goes somewhere completely different than the EU has gone?

Well here's the thing. I did an example of a small retconn. They go roughshod over all of the EU, that's one HELL of a retconn.

So again, what do you do, if EP VII just goes somewhere completely different than the EU has gone?

Depending on when the movies take place, the authors could just bend the EU to fit. Retcon a few things here and there, but leave it mostly intact.