Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Marauder frustration.

Datraza

I've leveled healer toons, tank toons and dps toons. the trickiest is playing as DPS as you're more required to keep your companions geared to level at the absolute minimum if not purples / oranges with the highest level mods you can get. you need to upgrade every level you reach. you cant keep quinn in his lvl 24 greens and expect him to keep you healed through the 30s and 40s. a healer companion needs to be geared as if it were your main toon and you were reading for raids.

When playing a DPS class I make sure to send my companion into attack first, target the strongest mob in a group with them. This allows them to build up a little aggro and then I go in and kill the mobs weakest first. Pretty much the same tactics you would be using in a group.

The trouble I found when levelling my Marauder (carnage spec before legacy was implemented) was jumping in and letting my companion follow behind, the companion selects the same target but by the time they decide to attack that target is dead and so they pause. This could lead to quite a gap before they choose to join in, all the time all of the mobs in the group are attacking me. It also means only my character is taking aggro and so all that lovely health on the companion is going to waste.

Quinn (and other healer companions) are pretty easy to run with and I find if well geared mean there is no downtime between anything other than the toughest of encounters. I don't regard it as lazy playing with a healer companion out, but it does mean there is less emphasis on needing to know your defensive cooldowns and when it's best to use them.

Vette (and other ranged DPS companions) tend to have a very nice AOE opener but this can draw aggro straight away pulling the mobs. Frustrating if you don't tell Vette to attack first as you jump in only to have the mobs run back to Vette :rolleyes:

Jaesa (and other melee DPS companions) my preference for DPS companions is melee. They have reasonable AOEs as well as armour penetration buff (prefer that rather than the damage over time buff).

Pierce (and other ranged tank companions) can't really comment as I have never used them while levelling.

Broonmark (and other melee tank companions) handy to have them gather up mobs so you can get your AOEs off, a little bit more effective if you are more reliant on back attacks (like Scoundrels/Operatives and Shadows/Assassins).

I levelled my own marauder a long time ago and in carnage spec, Vette worked really well until I got Jaesa, did try Quinn for awhile but just couldn't put up with his whining (and back at launch the companions were far more vocal). Biggest boost seemed to come from being overlevelled for content (about 3-4 on average) which is hard not to be just doing the bonus missions (no Space, heroics, PvP required) and making sure you have rested XP there. Don't remember fussing over gear too much, at best maybe every 6 levels or so.

As most have already said DPS need to be using all of their defensive abilities as well.

Soo i decided to continue on leveling my marauder but then i asked in general what companion that was best for me.

Everyone said Quinn.

Now to get one point clear, i play the game mostly because they implomented companions.

Now, quinn is ok but hes boring and the gameplay becomes boring.

Gameplay: Run in as dps. Deal damage. heal by quinn. high chance of dying.

Soo what the thread is about: Quinn is the only companion that suits marauder because:

He heals and you get no healer spec, but it gets extremely frustrating for me to use one companion all the time especially when you can still die easily as a marauder whit quinn.

And the marauder self heals sux. u get healed whenever a bleed effect crits. well this is only 1% the bleed effect do only last like 6 seconds or something and you die too fast.

And not to talk about the other companions:

Vette: Deals Ok damage but all aggro are on me soo i die.

Quinn: Ok healing, but all aggro on soo, hes heals are useless.

Jaesa: OK damage but she has a tendency to draw aggro making her die, then i die.

Piere: He takes too much damage and aggro and does not nearly have enough hp to survive a single battle whitout heals.

Broonmark: ^

Soo i feel like its not worth having my marauder anymore, its just taking up space...

And aslo i cant even find a set of armor that look atleast decent on the marauder soo yea...

Just deactivate every non-healing ability of Quinn's and he heals better, still not perfect, but you survive fights longer, also it's a good idea in tough fights to use saberward, and have medpacks on one of your bars.

Edited by AlexDougherty

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.