Silly Armor Question

Raijen_ArDesh

This is probably a silly question but here goes.

I've got a few sets of orange customizable armor, and it's geeat that I can choose the looks i like then upgrade it. To the best of my knowledge the only difference between the various orange sets/pieces are the cosmetics, yes?

I recently came across a purple (artifact) piece of customizable gear with artifact mods inside it. If i were to use this armor piece does it have higher base stats than my orange one, or are they one and the same. I'm considering buying a set from the cartel market as well, but would like to know if there's a difference as there's an orange and purple set that I like the looks of and can afford, but would like to know if i'm going to see a difference in quality of the gear.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

One of my characters has the regular orange version of a piece of armor and also the [prototype] version of the same armor piece. When stripped of all the mods, the armor pieces are the same. So it's just the armoring, mods and enhancements that are better.

Thanks for the reply. Was leery about unloading the item because its not the right armor type, and could sell it for a fair chunk on the AH, and apparently remopving the mods would bind them and the item :)

If it is not the right armor type (IE the orange is heavy armor, and you can only wear medium), then you will not be able to wear it, even if you strip the mods. Some orange gear (and most things that have prototype versions fall into this category) is a specific type of armor, rather than adaptive.

Basically, if you want to wear something, make sure it says it is either adaptive armor or the right armor type before you bind it to yourself.

This is probably a silly question but here goes.

I've got a few sets of orange customizable armor, and it's geeat that I can choose the looks i like then upgrade it. To the best of my knowledge the only difference between the various orange sets/pieces are the cosmetics, yes?

I recently came across a purple (artifact) piece of customizable gear with artifact mods inside it. If i were to use this armor piece does it have higher base stats than my orange one, or are they one and the same. I'm considering buying a set from the cartel market as well, but would like to know if there's a difference as there's an orange and purple set that I like the looks of and can afford, but would like to know if i'm going to see a difference in quality of the gear.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Depending on the level, most times it will. Most artifact quality armors can last 5-7 levels. For instance, you find a purple chest piece at level 30. Rewards you get from most quests and even Heroics will only last 1-3 levels and in some cases be useless. Orange items normally only come with Blue mods/armorings/enhancements and will last 1-5 levels. Unless you are buying the armorings/mods/enchancements artifact quality from the GTN then a purple artifact item can be used a long time. And if you out level it completely, gut it and upgrade it with stuff that fits your level.