The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Technology Analysis: Dark Trooper

Well am back folks with another analysis thread, this time its looking at the deadly Dark Trooper for this I think I shall incorporate all of the Dark Trooper models. This way it'll be easier to read, so without further ado here we go!

==============

Dark Trooper Phase Zero Prototype

The Phase Zero was the beginning of the Dark Trooper project, however instead of them being actual droids they were instead aged clone troopers with cybernetics installed using much of the same technology that transformed Vader. In some cases over 70% of their body was replaced and with their experience plus their added cybernetic parts they were effective on the battlefield, however there was a flaw as most men couldn't handle the state of being more machine then man and opted for suicide instead. The Dark Trooper Phase Zero project was then shut down, however was replaced by the Dark Trooper Project which was headed by Rom Mohc.

Armament

Blast Cannons

SE-14r light repeating blaster pistols

Thermal Detonators

Misc

Jump Packs

Pictures

Simple View.

=============

Dark Trooper Phase 1

The Phase 1 was the 1st Dark Trooper in the project, and was nothing more then a skeletal frame with a vibrosword and blast shield with basic intelligence. Its actual purpose is unknown and it never went into battle, however it was used to guard Imperial Installations such as Gromas 16 and Ice Station Beta.

Armaments

Vibrosword

Blast Shield

Pictures

Schematics

A Trio

==========

Dark Trooper Phase 2

The Phase 2 was designed to be used as an artificially intelligent droid or an exoskeleton, either way it was extremely effective on the battlefield. A small number of these destroyed a Rebel Base on Talay. The Trooper also being equipped with a jump pack and an assault cannon capable of firing 400 plasma shells and 20 missiles before reloading and was also capable of being loaded into hyperspace pods for transportation.

Armaments

Assault Cannon

Jump Pack

Pictures

Schematics

In action with Assault Cannon.

===========

Phase 3 Dark Trooper

This was the last of the Dark Troopers in the project, designed to be the perfect battlefield infantry unit, it dwarfed the others in size even the Phase 2 Dark Troopers and was intended to be the future armor for Stormtroopers. It was also sometimes classified as a bipedal tank. The exoskeleton provided the wearer with increased strength, durability and increased firepower, the standard weapons was a large handheld assault cannon and two shoulder mounted seeker missile launcher racks.

They were also issued additional fragmentation grenades, thermal detonators and concussion grenades. They wore black armor made from the nearly indestructible Phrik and some of them also had integrated weaponry such as dual blaster cannons two in each wrist and six PLEX rocket tubes located under the shoulder plates, three per shoulder.

Armaments

Assault Cannon

Concealed mounted seeker missiles

Concealed mounted wrist blasters

Pictures

Schematics

A view

======

Thoughts: I gotta say, I love the Dark Troopers though the Phase 3 was never fully brought to battle it still is one hell of a droid/exoskeleton, I do also like the Phase 2 one, dem Assault Cannons!

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Oh man the memories of fighting these guys in Dark Forces. If I recall and this was quite a number of years ago unless you got really close to them it was difficult to fight as they had long range blasters. But if they were used now I wonder how the empire would use them, perhaps as infltrators. Anyway great post man.

Oh man the memories of fighting these guys in Dark Forces. If I recall and this was quite a number of years ago unless you got really close to them it was difficult to fight as they had long range blasters. But if they were used now I wonder how the empire would use them, perhaps as infltrators. Anyway great post man.

Well I wouldn't say being used as Infiltrators, they were more designed to be used on the Battlefield it seems. But if they were used well...then the Rebels would have been screwed if the Project wasn't shut down.

Nice thread.

But about the Phase-1 troopers. You say they never saw use yet in Forces of Corruption we see them being used as infantry in the campaign. Not sure if this is classed as canon though...

Game mechanic, as far as actual lore is concerned it was never used for combat. Besides from the looks of it, it wouldn't fair well in open combat anyway...seems better for guard duty.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well I wouldn't say being used as Infiltrators, they were more designed to be used on the Battlefield it seems. But if they were used well...then the Rebels would have been screwed if the Project wasn't shut down.

Yeah I think battlefield is better but as what, support or frontline assault like a tank. The only reason I ask is I'm trying to imagine how they would look in SWTOR.

Game mechanic, as far as actual lore is concerned it was never used for combat. Besides from the looks of it, it wouldn't fair well in open combat anyway...seems better for guard duty.
Well there is one point (when they raid the museum or whatever) that Silri actually comments on the presence of Dark Troopers, some of which are Phase 1.

But hey, that was a museum.

Nevertheless I just thought they were just prototypes, given their skeletal appearance. Perhaps ran through combat tests and other simulations, they upgraded to the real model. But that's just me speculating.

Yeah I think battlefield is better but as what, support or frontline assault like a tank. The only reason I ask is I'm trying to imagine how they would look in SWTOR.

Well given that a small number of Phase 2 Dark Troops took out a Rebel Base, and Phase 3 is just a bigger and badder version and is classified as a bipedal tank.

I see it as, the Phase 3 being frontline strictly and the Phase 2 being support/frontline mix to the Phase 3 however also being able to be used as frontline too.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I've been playing Dark Forces recently actually. I remember playing it back in 1996 on my playstation and loving it, but I didn't know there were so many more. I bought the whole Jedi Knight collection on steam and so I'm slowly working my way through it.

I actually made a reference when talking in a general chat on my new trooper that I'm going darkside with and said "A 'Dark Trooper' if you will."