The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Character Analysis: Kyle Katarn

Yes quite late to do this, but I figured I would do it anyway. I already have a feeling this thread will have a lot of jokes in it, however folks despite what the jokes are. Kyle is just a regular Jedi Master, when I mean regular I mean barring aside the jokes...so anyway lets begin.

======

"I'm no Jedi; I'm just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions."

―Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn at the start was just a Rebel operative during the Galactic Civil War, however prior to that he was a Stormtrooper and during the time of an attack on a Rebel asteroid base he began having premonitions hinting that he was Force Sensitive. While on said mission, he also met Jan Ors and though they were opposites they had a connection and Kyle chose to spare her life along with the others and due to the success of his missions became a decorated Stormtrooper officer.

After a time with a battle with Jan and other Rebel's, he learned that the Empire killed his father and not the Rebels. With this new information, Kyle defected to become a mercenary and then later a Rebel spy. One year after the Battle of Endor Kyle was visited by the Jedi spirit Qu Rahn who told of his heritage, Kyle eventually found a recording of his father on the family droid which pointed to Rahn's lightsaber and thus sending Kyle Katarn on the path of a Jedi.

Personality and Traits

Katarn's personality was almost two-faced, on one hand he was very self-confident and had almost a cynical dry sense of humor. On the other he often doubted himself and gave every choice a good deal of thought, he was independent and free-thinking but his primary concern was always the safety of others especially those he cared for.

Powers and Abilities

Thanks to his training at the Imperial Academy, Katarn was well accustomed into a number of different Imperial weapons and his preferred weapon along with his lightsaber was his Bryar pistol which was a gift from his father. He became one of the NJO's most respected Jedi Masters and eventual Jedi Battlemaster, and with little lightsaber training he defeated seven Dark Jedi however it should be noted Katarn did learn techniques from the spirits of Qu Rahn and the ancient Jedi Tal in the Valley of the Jedi so he was taught to some extent.

Kyle was also strong in The Force using powers such as Tutaminis and the standard Force Powers. When he was full of hate and rage, he also was able to conjure Force Grip and Force Lighting. Katarn was a master of the fifth form of combat Djem So.

Pictures

As a Jedi Master.

Thoughts: Kyle is a good character and while I know the jokes are the jokes, in reality, in canon the guy isn't really some uber Jedi. Still a nicely written character. I didn't write up everything, cause I am assuming that most know who he is from Jedi Outcast/Academy/Dark Forces.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I never really understood the jokes at first, but they are kind of funny.

Regardless, this was a good read, despite the exclusion of his NJO and beyond info. I fully understand your reasoning behind it.

To be honest, I would like to see more Kyle Katarn-centered stories in the NJO era.

I will say that while Kyle is not Uber (there are very few I consider Uber) I do believe he is still above average as far as jedi go..... what I really think puts him over the edge and makes him such a good jedi in general is he doesn't just rely on the force or a lightsaber he can and does use technology to his advantage and honestly if I were a jedi I would deffinately make sure that would be the way I would do it.

• 4 weeks later...