Smuggler Companion

MassiveTrooper

Well, unless you are a scoundrel healer, you won't be using her long, considering how poorly they done the companion system, its 'be the healer or bring the healer'.

Everyone always says to me 'if you are not the healer, bring the healer companion, it will be more better that way.' They were right, from level 30+ (ie. Alderaan) the difficulty of the fights gets more noticeable when using a tank or dps companion, so if you are lucky and your healer companion is gain early, its the only one you will be using, unless you are the healer yourself.

Well, unless you are a scoundrel healer, you won't be using her long, considering how poorly they done the companion system, its 'be the healer or bring the healer'.

Everyone always says to me 'if you are not the healer, bring the healer companion, it will be more better that way.' They were right, from level 30+ (ie. Alderaan) the difficulty of the fights gets more noticeable when using a tank or dps companion, so if you are lucky and your healer companion is gain early, its the only one you will be using, unless you are the healer yourself.

Your logic is inaccurate.

If the DPS is high enough, you should be fine in most fights. I did chapter 2 and most of chapter 3 with Risha on my side and had no difficulties, provided I kept myself and her properly equipped. Did the same with Jaesa on my Marauder, with Kira on my Sentinel and Torian on my Mercenary.

People can't expect miracles and complain, when so many of them have their companions using the EXACT same gear from the moment they get said companions, all the way to level 50, like I've seen already numerous times.

I use double DPS for every class except Knights/Warriors - the sheer speed that you kill things far outweighs the supposed survivability benefits. The only reason I use a healer with Knights/Warriors is because you'll always be charging into battle first and the resource mechanics benefits the most from constantly staying in combat.

(Then again, I have max presence from unlocking all companions and am also quite persistent in constantly upgrading the armorings/mods/enhancements in both my character and my companion, so your mileage may vary)

I have been playing a DPS Scoundrel, and just now at the end of Belsavis, I have used every single companion basically just long enough to get each "1000 kills" achievement.

And y'know what? I have kicked butt with all of them.

Leveled both my gunslinger and my scrapper scoundrel with Risha along, myself. Can't say I ever had any problems.

This whole 'you must use a healer companion' thing always seems weird to me. The only class I used mine with was my powertech, and that was more because I couldn't stand any of the other companions than because my survival depended on it.

For most players this is true, but if you know what you are doing you dont have to bring your healer comp. I just hit 50 with my IA marks sniper (mirror GS sharpshooter) and i used Kaliyo full time, and then switched to Scorpio when i got her. My entire gearset was always up to date with prototype at 15-19-23-27 and so on at every 4 level interval. Kaliyo/Scorpios gear was also updated with premium quality every 4 levels starting at 17-21-25-29 and so on all the way to 50. And it also helped that i looked for the best skill usage order when dealing with packs so that i am killing them all as fast as possible (allowing my comp to take less damage.

Now if you sit there and just try to faceroll your skills or you dont know how to keep your gear up to date you might have problems. But if you put forth some effort it is possible to level dps/tank or dps/dps as i've done with arsenal merc+gault and gunnery commando+jorgan.