The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sanctified Caretaker Armour - please fix the boots.

Farstrider

I am not one to complain, but after seeing many other sets introduced into the cartel store, and the quality of said sets. I can keep quiet no longer.

The boots from the Sanctified Caretaker set are broken/unfinished, they lack areas of texture and detail and appear black and void. Now, I paid for the set thinking the appearance preview was glitching and not presenting an accurate preview. It was not. The set is unfinished, no other armour set I can find in the store/game is missing textures like this except for those footwear models that share the appearance of the SC boots.

Please devote some time to this issue, its not game-breaking but you are selling an incomplete set for the same price as many other well designed sets. And it really is a shame to not be able to use the entire set.

Thanks!

Edited by Farstrider

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To say nothing of how various cartel market armor sets (usually with capes) clip when riding speeders. But not in the preview window! But Bioware would rather reskin an armor set to resell it then offer proper support for its existing products, which may have been sold under false pretenses due to their laziness (or worse) in reconciling the differences between what shows up in preview, and what you actually get.

(Strangely enough, my sage has the Sanctified Caretaker set precisely because it's one of the few "Jedi" sets that doesn't have those clipping problems when mounted.)

To say nothing of how various cartel market armor sets (usually with capes) clip when riding speeders. But not in the preview window! But Bioware would rather reskin an armor set to resell it then offer proper support for its existing products, which may have been sold under false pretenses due to their laziness (or worse) in reconciling the differences between what shows up in preview, and what you actually get.

Instead of trying to accuse them of a crime, take some time to try and understand what the preview window is showing.

The preview window is not a real game view. It doesn't use your display setting to render the model. In particular, it doesn't use your model detail setting (it appears to use medium always), it doesn't use your antialiasing or anisotropic filtering settings, it doesn't use shadows, and it doesn't use bloom. Oddly, it seems that it does use texture atlasing.

The biggest implications of this are:

• Lightsaber colors look different. Lightsabers use a lot of Bloom, and since the preview doesn't render bloom, saber crystals look significantly different.
  • Armor with "loose" parts subject to physics behave differently. High detail model robs have the bottom sections of robes move about independently. They have their own physics which lets them get pushed back by your legs or pulled around by motion. Medium level models don't. The robe sections are effectively "glued" a certain distance from your legs. The effect is most noticeable when running.
  • Some armor coloration is different. A few sets show some mild differences in color or texture quality

So, the robe clipping issue only looks like it works in the preview. If you look closer, you'll see that your robes are simply clipping through the speeder in a different way, specifically: They are still hovering a short distance from your legs, but they're wrapped under your legs where its less obvious.

The task of fixing the preview to use your graphical settings is not an easy one, but it is far easier than fixing robes to not clip through speeders. I don't expect either to be a priority in the near future.

Instead of trying to accuse them of a crime, take some time to try and understand what the preview window is showing.

The preview window is not a real game view. It doesn't use your display setting to render the model. In particular, it doesn't use your model detail setting (it appears to use medium always), it doesn't use your antialiasing or anisotropic filtering settings, it doesn't use shadows, and it doesn't use bloom. Oddly, it seems that it does use texture atlasing.

The biggest implications of this are:

• Lightsaber colors look different. Lightsabers use a lot of Bloom, and since the preview doesn't render bloom, saber crystals look significantly different.
  • Armor with "loose" parts subject to physics behave differently. High detail model robs have the bottom sections of robes move about independently. They have their own physics which lets them get pushed back by your legs or pulled around by motion. Medium level models don't. The robe sections are effectively "glued" a certain distance from your legs. The effect is most noticeable when running.
  • Some armor coloration is different. A few sets show some mild differences in color or texture quality

So, the robe clipping issue only looks like it works in the preview. If you look closer, you'll see that your robes are simply clipping through the speeder in a different way, specifically: They are still hovering a short distance from your legs, but they're wrapped under your legs where its less obvious.

The task of fixing the preview to use your graphical settings is not an easy one, but it is far easier than fixing robes to not clip through speeders. I don't expect either to be a priority in the near future.

I run the game at full settings, minus Bloom. ALL my avatars are females TYPE 2 (which qualify as medium in your post) - I got big butt bug with Unfettered Trench Coat on actual equip and perfect preview.

And I just checked those particular boots yesterday - they do have misaligned textures, which has nothing to do with the preview window or game setting, but actual game file being bad - either name(and it`s taking textures from something else, making it entirely wrong), or actual texture. That is 1000% BW`s doing.

I run the game at full settings, minus Bloom. ALL my avatars are females TYPE 2 (which qualify as medium in your post) - I got big butt bug with Unfettered Trench Coat on actual equip and perfect preview.

And I just checked those particular boots yesterday - they do have misaligned textures, which has nothing to do with the preview window or game setting, but actual game file being bad - either name(and it`s taking textures from something else, making it entirely wrong), or actual texture. That is 1000% BW`s doing.

Don't bother, for some reason that guy always feels the need to come to the defense of BW regarding their tech/engine.

Boots are still borked which is disturbing considering I had to pay CC for the set and received defective goods with no fix in sight. If they won't fix this issue, I'd like my CC's back then please.

Maybe because that guy actually understands how software development and game graphics work?

For texture to be garbled or missing, two things might happen, just for the ones that don`t understand how software development and game graphics work. First, we`ll define what a texture is: an image. https://www.google.ro/search?q=texture+picture&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vY9BU_n6LYHhygP_94GwDg&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=993#q=texture+picture+boots&tbm=isch

Now, if the file would be missing, the boots will have whatever error image/message the engine throws = usually bright red solid or whatever funny looking rainbow. I THINK this game throws some really big light purple with black checkers, from a really old and wild memory - might be awfully mistaken tho`.. I`ll look for proof. Not quite there, but still.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/26/1372090379-screenshot-2013-06-24-18-12-44-001963.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H5Jepuv.png

For the texture to be garbled like the one we have in this game, the actual PICTURE inside the file is wrongly aligned, which is crass incompetence.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/3d0fb628-c25c-41d7-ae4e-313510f20f76/d4ukv47-c0ece967-eb22-45a7-9bcb-9478b19449e0.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzNkMGZiNjI4LWMyNWMtNDFkNy1hZTRlLTMxMzUxMGYyMGY3NlwvZDR1a3Y0Ny1jMGVjZTk2Ny1lYjIyLTQ1YTctOWJjYi05NDc4YjE5NDQ5ZTAucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.D3LgTnTWm6iJlDpGZX0kYCyET81xs2KxrLIrfCEfhWw <--- the model which this picture fits is wrong, so the picture will be misaligned. Somebody at Bioware forgot to update the texture for the new model, or rename old or new texture file.

Have a nice day.

[EDIT] Just in case you want to do some basic testing: Install World of Tanks and get any custom skin for any tank that is not your starter one. Look for tutorials on how to change files - usually it`s just drag and drop into mods folder, keeping folder structure. Rename that file to match the texture file for any of the 3 starter tanks. Fire up the game and play with your garbled tank. That is the effect or looks like what you see here - misaligned / wrong texture for the 3D model.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/275194-087-drax-hd-textures-complete-overhaul-its-back/page__st__40 <-- post 47 about old textures not matching new 3D models.

Edited by Styxx

QA at Bioware is crap.

Female leg textures when wearing no boots are fine, wear the invisible boots (Covert Energy), and the lower leg textures become mangled / misaligned.

All the short skirts clip horribly when walking, running, and jumping.

Many of the extraneous 'what were they thinking' doodads dangling off the mid sections of character models, even when there is nothing around the mid section to support the dangling doodads, clip horribly or have texture issues in cut scenes (the Brawlers harness thing is a perfect example - random doodads hanging off nothing that show as skin color in cut scenes).

Edited by DawnAskham

<snip>

The context of Malastare's original post was preview windows not quite matching what appears in game due to the preview window using different settings. Issues like lightsaber colors looking a slightly different shade.

The context of Malastare's original post was preview windows not quite matching what appears in game due to the preview window using different settings. Issues like lightsaber colors looking a slightly different shade.

You know what else the preview window does? It shows me a different mesh than the one the armor actually uses. In plain English, Unfettered Trench Coat previews the proper butt for female body type 2, but upon equipping it takes the mesh / butt / behind shape of a Body type 3 or 4 - bigger and wider. That is not different settings - that is actual 3D model being not fixed. OR the "Rigging", or the skeleton definition for the armor is wrong and it treats body type 2 as being 3 or 4, which is, again, crass incompetence.

Edited by Styxx

When I originally posted this, I thought I was being alittle petty.

Seeing that a fair few people feel the same way I feel justified.

Thanks to those that have discussed how and why the boots appear as they do - it's nice of you to help those of us who are'nt as versed in these matters to see where it goes wrong.

Speaking generally, I must say it's abit dissapointing that there has been no official recognition of such an obviously broken item, that continues to be sold in the CM.

Keep bumping this thread, visibility may one day pay off!

My thanks

:)