defense solo build- good or bad?

Righness

Here is my solo build I am working through now. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500GMRrddMRrzGzZcMMZd.3

I am at lvl 29 and thus far it has worked out great, at first I used a sent and just got owned by most goldies :). I have noticed from my COH days, that I prefer tanking even when soloing for survivability. I am by no means an expert and so I just wanted an opinion on if this build is well made or not. I am focusing on the defense build only and then will start adding into the other slots once the first one is filled. I would be adding Master Focus when I get near to the fifth tier as I did not see much value in guardianship as a soloist. I know many ppl swear by vigilance for the soloist but for now I wanted to see how defense would go and thus far Kira and I are taking care of ppl that my sent could not, I understand others take care of sent's better but my lack of experience, patience, and playstyle made sent life arduous at best.

Interested in whether or not this build would hold up to higher lvl class content? Thanks in advance...

Just check out Gralleh's guide to tanking. It should be stickied (but isn't right now), but it's still always on the first page on this forum, since it gets so much commentary. He'll talk you through anything you want to know about the Defense tree. It helped me a lot, and I only run Defense spec on my Guardian (and have since I hit level 10). Running solo, I pretty much always have Doc as a companion, since it just seems fiddly to use a DPSer for the trash mobs and then switch to him when an Elite pops up. I know my Gunslinger/Sharpshooter can burn through mobs faster, but my Defense Guardian isn't really a whole lot slower. With Doc going as a companion, my Guardian just keeps going and going: not needing to rest at all.

I know some people have talked about using defense spec with offensive gear in PVP. I'm going to try that out, but I don't have any experience to go with that. All in all, Defense is respectable in damage (just don't expect to kill a healer fast in PVP if you're still specced as a tank). I'll definitely want to try Vigilance some for fun, but that's a long ways down the line when I can afford to respec on the fly and have the gear to go with the respec.

Just check out Gralleh's guide to tanking. It should be stickied (but isn't right now), but it's still always on the first page on this forum, since it gets so much commentary. He'll talk you through anything you want to know about the Defense tree. It helped me a lot, and I only run Defense spec on my Guardian (and have since I hit level 10). Running solo, I pretty much always have Doc as a companion, since it just seems fiddly to use a DPSer for the trash mobs and then switch to him when an Elite pops up. I know my Gunslinger/Sharpshooter can burn through mobs faster, but my Defense Guardian isn't really a whole lot slower. With Doc going as a companion, my Guardian just keeps going and going: not needing to rest at all.

I know some people have talked about using defense spec with offensive gear in PVP. I'm going to try that out, but I don't have any experience to go with that. All in all, Defense is respectable in damage (just don't expect to kill a healer fast in PVP if you're still specced as a tank). I'll definitely want to try Vigilance some for fun, but that's a long ways down the line when I can afford to respec on the fly and have the gear to go with the respec.

I will look into it, I haven't brought my Guardian high enough to get Doc yet so I am running with Kira for now. I planned on using him when time comes just hit lvl 30, thanks for the suggestion.

Don't do Guard and Thrust, that skill seems cool, but it has very short uptime. Even if you would use Saber Ward on cooldown, it would be 12 seconds per 3 minutes. Get Battlefield Command instead, it gets handy if you solo some heroic, you can leap around a bit more to get mobs on you and not your companion.

I would also pick Guardianship over Jedi Warden even though you are solo player, you can still shield your companion when for example a patroling enemy comes and attacks him/her. Jedi Warden is not so good unless you use Push on cooldown.

Other than that there is not much space to go wrong, maybe I'd not get that point in Insight and put it in Accuracy instead but that's not a big deal.

Edited by Slivovidze

I will look into it, I haven't brought my Guardian high enough to get Doc yet so I am running with Kira for now. I planned on using him when time comes just hit lvl 30, thanks for the suggestion.

Doc comes at a pretty good time. Until about then, I generally burned through stuff fast enough with her that I didn't have to stop and rest too much, but there were some things that were a bit tougher to do. With Doc, I can take on quite a bit at once, the main issue being if you aggro too many groups at once (or elites... though I think I took on 3-4 at once by accident when looking for a datacron in a cave on Belsavis).

Don't do Guard and Thrust, that skill seems cool, but it has very short uptime. Even if you would use Saber Ward on cooldown, it would be 12 seconds per 3 minutes. Get Battlefield Command instead, it gets handy if you solo some heroic, you can leap around a bit more to get mobs on you and not your companion.

I would also pick Guardianship over Jedi Warden even though you are solo player, you can still shield your companion when for example a patroling enemy comes and attacks him/her. Jedi Warden is not so good unless you use Push on cooldown.

Other than that there is not much space to go wrong, maybe I'd not get that point in Insight and put it in Accuracy instead but that's not a big deal.

I think it is fascinating that you mentioned what you did about Guard and Thrust as I was discussing it also in another thread, truly the only reason I placed them there was for the throw away points because I needed to move up the tier and the never really found a need for leap to come sooner. The main reason I have Jedi Warden is because I use push as an interupt and it allows me to use the leap right away so I can do that and sweap. Just seemed to flow well together. I will definitely play some with my build and your suggestions thanks for the advice and thoughts, I appreciate all info from those who are more experience than I.

Doc comes at a pretty good time. Until about then, I generally burned through stuff fast enough with her that I didn't have to stop and rest too much, but there were some things that were a bit tougher to do. With Doc, I can take on quite a bit at once, the main issue being if you aggro too many groups at once (or elites... though I think I took on 3-4 at once by accident when looking for a datacron in a cave on Belsavis).

The funny thing is that I originally went with a Sent and got owned left and right, now that I am using a Guardian things just seem so much better, lol. The only real issues I have had thus far is when i am overconfident as I will sometimes ignore the buffs if I think I can handle the fight then have issues I did not consider roaming silvers or goldies sort of thing. Also the guide you directed me to really helped as I was always by default getting gear and material for adding strength and not really thinking a lot about defense, shield, and absorb. That is what I am working on now. Thanks again for the suggesting and thoguhts.