How does kite smash mara?

HexDecimalUK

this should be interesting :cool:

1. Purge force crush if you can (get rid of the slow)
  2. Use movement immunity skills (shroud, hydraulic overrides)
  3. Stay inbetween 5-10 meters to force them to use obliterate
  4. If they open with force charge (30 meter leap) use a stun or short CC (low slash) to let you gain distance
  5. Knockback on obliterate and maneuver between 5-10 meters
  6. Root them
  7. Push them

The trick with dealing with smash is to make them eat rage by using Obliterate, and smashing with 1-2 stacks of shockwave. With no rage you don't have to worry about more force crushes or vicious slashes being thrown you way. No rage = no 6K+ vicious throw.

Now Juggernaught's on the other hand are much more difficult to shut down than marauders. They get free rage + 3 stacks of shockwave for free every 30 seconds.

Edited by Yeochins

1. Purge force crush if you can (get rid of the slow)
  2. Use movement immunity skills (shroud, hydraulic overrides)
  3. Stay inbetween 5-10 meters to force them to use obliterate
  4. If they open with force charge (30 meter leap) use a stun or short CC (low slash) to let you gain distance
  5. Knockback on obliterate and maneuver between 5-10 meters
  6. Root them
  7. Push them

The trick with dealing with smash is to make them eat rage by using Obliterate, and smashing with 1-2 stacks of shockwave. With no rage you don't have to worry about more force crushes or vicious slashes being thrown you way. No rage = no 6K+ vicious throw.

Now Juggernaught's on the other hand are much more difficult to shut down than marauders. They get free rage + 3 stacks of shockwave for free every 30 seconds.

well this stuff is obvi, I thought the trick was killing them before they do that all again. you know while they go invisible or pop there invincibility or force choke or whatever else they decide to do before repeating their rotation. see my point? it takes every possible CD to counter that opening smash routine but even they they can just pop some utility and come back in at least 30 seconds and do it to you all over again.

I have a smash jug, i can usually deal them with relative eas by knocking stunning the ravage or knocking back as they try to smash me they cant just dissapere and have another go if i trip them over or get away, or if a sniper intervenes and helps me.

Edited by HexDecimalUK

well this stuff is obvi, I thought the trick was killing them before they do that all again. you know while they go invisible or pop there invincibility or force choke or whatever else they decide to do before repeating their rotation. see my point? it takes every possible CD to counter that opening smash routine but even they they can just pop some utility and come back in at least 30 seconds and do it to you all over again.

I have a smash jug, i can usually deal them with relative eas by knocking stunning the ravage or knocking back as they try to smash me they cant just dissapere and have another go if i trip them over or get away, or if a sniper intervenes and helps me.

Realistically you cannot kill them before their cooldowns reset unless the circumstances are ridiculously in your favor.

1. They have no healers
  2. You have multiple people focus firing him

Cloak of pain alone will ensure you alone will not burst him to zero before he gets back up and smashes you again. If you're focus firing him, the only way to kill him is if the other team has no healers or has bad healers and tank DPS (characters that can taunt).

So you have to prepare for the long haul, which is make sure they have to eat rage to do damage. Battering assault is not enough for the Rage-specced marauder to sink you. They need their free smash for their vicious throw's and slashes they use as filler damage. If you deny them that you win a one on one.

Also Juggernaughts have a far more versatile rage tree than Marauders do. The ability to use force push is huge. The knock-down CC means they cannot hope to knockback/stun you before you land that smash and begin a Ravage. It can also be used to push away specific targets (ie push a guarded healer away from their tank to be smashed).

Properly played Rage Juggernaughts will make sure they get a chilling scream or force crush off before you knock them back. If you're a ranged dps the better Juggernaughts will LOS you forcing you to come to them. If you don't take the bait they'll just smash someone else.

Edited by Yeochins

Realistically you cannot kill them before their cooldowns reset unless the circumstances are ridiculously in your favor.

1. They have no healers
  2. You have multiple people focus firing him

It only means you have to be that much vigilant in trying to control the situation around you. Identifying smashers early on and anticipating their moves go a long way in raising your odds of survival -- especially since Focus/Rage builds, both Guardian/Juggs and Sent/Maras, are anything if not predictable.

Hence, all the "circumstances that are ridiculously in your favor", is precisely what you need to try and make real.

Unless you are dueling a Focus/Rage, the chances are, the more "conditions" you tried to meet beforehand, the better.

This whole stay within 5-10 meter thing is entirely not possible unless you have faced the same person several times under the same internet conditions which again, not possible.

I have been leaped on at a range of 35+ meters (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=644818) There are two pictures in that thread, one of the exact moment before and one after leap. You can confirm the leap due to the damage dealt and that the player gained the proper amount of resource while still at the listed range. You can also clearly see that I registered the player at the 35.69 meter distance and further backed by my abilities that are 30m and even Project that has a 35 meter range was not lit up at the time they were able to perform the leap (you don't have to be facing or even in line of sight of a target for abilities to be shown as in range)

I was not having any latency issues at the time this occurred and typically run in the ~45ms range. The range one player is at is not the same as the opposing player is that.

So again, enough of this 'stay within a certain range" or the 4-10 rule crap, the game simply does not function well enough to somewhat sync up players. Having a 20% distance difference at just 30 meters shows how broken the game can be.

Making it more complicated than necessary. Look for the stacks, once you see 1-2 knock them back. Otherwise, keep them permaslowed, cleanse their snares or use a root breaker if you have one, and just always stay more than 4m away if you can.

This whole stay within 5-10 meter thing is entirely not possible unless you have faced the same person several times under the same internet conditions which again, not possible.

I have been leaped on at a range of 35+ meters (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=644818) There are two pictures in that thread, one of the exact moment before and one after leap. You can confirm the leap due to the damage dealt and that the player gained the proper amount of resource while still at the listed range. You can also clearly see that I registered the player at the 35.69 meter distance and further backed by my abilities that are 30m and even Project that has a 35 meter range was not lit up at the time they were able to perform the leap (you don't have to be facing or even in line of sight of a target for abilities to be shown as in range)

I was not having any latency issues at the time this occurred and typically run in the ~45ms range. The range one player is at is not the same as the opposing player is that.

So again, enough of this 'stay within a certain range" or the 4-10 rule crap, the game simply does not function well enough to somewhat sync up players. Having a 20% distance difference at just 30 meters shows how broken the game can be.

You can't avoid the first smash if it's done using one of their cooldowns. But one smash is like 6-8k usually. You just need to avoid getting hit like 4 times by it.

There are multiple ways to avoid the first smash, knockbacks sometimes work, force shroud, but what usually works the best is a root breaker on their jump... many times they have already pre-loaded their smash into the queue and it will go off even if they see you move out of range. Edited by JP_Legatus

but what usually works the best is a root breaker on their jump..

I honestly never even thought of this...... Feeling a bit stupid now.. well more then a bit.

Though, I wonder what kind of timing it would take in order to get out of range since combat run speed is somewhat slow. Even reacting a half second after a leap, that leaves you with at best, one second to move. Is that enough time to get out of range?

Edited by _Kayko_

I honestly never even thought of this...... Feeling a bit stupid now.. well more then a bit.

Though, I wonder what kind of timing it would take in order to get out of range since combat run speed is somewhat slow. Even reacting a half second after a leap, that leaves you with at best, one second to move. Is that enough time to get out of range?

Depends on the circumstances I think, I've had times where I was able to strafe out of a smash on my Sniper just with CC-break>normal movement, but I've also had plenty of times where as a Sorc Healer my snare break Force Speed all-in-one wasn't enough to get me out of range.

Edited by FROIDBUSTER

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.