The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Cartel Market XP buffs not granting bonus

Rehneu

I have been suspecting that the cartel market xp buffs were not granting the bonus of 25% as it says it should. As example, daily pvp missions are only granting 17,088 xp which reflects the bonus 5% from the guild. This is while the xp buff is active. With the 25% alone, that same mission should have granted 20,343 xp. Combined with the guild bonus, would have been 21,157 xp. This is showing a loss of approximately 4100 xp.

Over the course of leveling, this is a major loss in xp. The xp buffs are bugged and are NOT granting the bonus as advertised. They are granting zero bonus at the current time.

Try checking out my analysis of this and see if it makes more sense.

Thanks. Read it over. Who is LangyMD anyway? A player or someone from BW? Also, is there some place that specifically states that subs get 20% more xp over F2P'ers? At that, why would the Cartel Market XP bonus only calculate to 20.8% versus what it is being said to grant? Where does the guild bonus come into play with all of this as well? I am guessing that is just added onto the end of things and that is why I only see that?

All of this is explained in my post, but I understand it's kind of long, dry, and clinical, so I'll summarize the points you're wondering about:

Who is LangyMD anyway? A player or someone from BW?
Appears to be a player, since they don't have a BioWare tag in their post and they speak hypothetically about the game.

Also, is there some place that specifically states that subs get 20% more xp over F2P'ers?
We know from the F2P conversion PTS and the F2P vs. Sub matrix on the SWTOR website that Subs gain "more" XP than F2P. The specific numbers we're going by are based on trial-and-error observation and comparisons of mission rewards and mob kills. +/- 20% seems to be the roughly-correct number, though.

At that, why would the Cartel Market XP bonus only calculate to 20.8% versus what it is being said to grant?
If we assume Sub has baseline 120% bonus (this is unproven, but data seems to support this), and that all % bonuses in SWTOR are additive (this seems to also be correct), then adding 25% to 120% gives you a total of 145% bonus.

145 / 120 = 20.8%, so the difference you actually see in the mission window with a boost active is 20.8% more than what you see without a boost active (assuming you're a Subscriber).

Where does the guild bonus come into play with all of this as well? I am guessing that is just added onto the end of things and that is why I only see that?
That's correct. The guild bonus is not calculated in your mission window, so the final XP that "pops up" in your screen is boosted another 5%.

Edit:

Also, is that 20% bonus for being a subscriber the rested xp that only a subscriber gains?
No, rested XP is a craziness that goes on top of all the rest of this and I try not to touch or get into. :p Edited by SW_display_name

I have only found, from the TOR site, a comparison of F2P and Subscription plans that they only mention rested xp. Reason I am stuck on this is that there is no place, not a single mention of, improved or greater gained xp for being a subscriber.

What we do indeed know is that up until a very early level, Free to players will gain the full amount of xp at the same rate as those who subscribe. It is not until after this that they, the F2P'ers, get bumped down on the xp thus making it less xp earned for them. That we know. This is why I am thinking that F2P'ers do not continue to gain said 100% of xp and subscribers get a bonus for paying each month. I think our "bonus" is getting the 100% like we should be while the F2P'ers are getting roughly 80% on that lower curve of things.

Does that make sense as to where I am coming from on this? That would support the experience rate gain a lot more then a supposed 20% bonus since this is what is taking place in game. I will try to get with someone who is F2P to get the exact amounts they are gaining on lower level missions as in comparison to those who are subscribed.

Honestly, until BW says otherwise, anyone can make the numbers look good. :p Not saying what you have provided via the other poster is not accurate. I would just like a more solid concrete answer from someone at BW on this.

The 145% explanation is the best one that fits the data. That's the only reason I'm currently supporting it; it produces the expected numbers before and after a Subscriber uses an XP boost for the same mission.

If the 100 / 125% explanation is correct, then we literally are not getting the full benefit from XP boosts because XP rewards don't increase by 25% when you use a boost.

Of course, unless BioWare makes an official comment (hahahahahahaha... ha) on this issue, or someone who's a lot smarter than me gets involved, all we can do is guess based on in-game examples. There could be some other explanation for the 4.2% "loss", but it involves something in the game's calculations we're not privy to.

Until then, the 120 + 25 explanation predicts the numbers basically perfectly each time I try it. Any conflicting data would be awesome (since it would help us better model what's going on).

Edited by SW_display_name

If the 100 / 125% explanation is correct, then we literally are not getting the full benefit from XP boosts because XP rewards don't increase by 25% when you use a boost.

Even by your model and explanation, we are not getting the full 25% boost as advertised. There for, it is indeed broken. This needs to be fixed as it is clearly not working.

UPDATE:

OK here is the skinny on some individual testing I have been doing. A mission, pre-xp buff, that grants 9412 xp for the completion was used to verify my findings from last night. The mission that was used is called "The Master Stratagem" of which is an IA class quest. During the mission, I applied the +25% xp buff and watched my mission log. The mission log now shows the xp reward being 11,295. This is a total of 20.01% increase from the original 9,412 xp that was being granted before the buff.

If the xp buff was to grant the full 25% that it is being advertised to do, the same mission would then grant 11,765 xp. This is a difference of 470 xp. This is also pre-guild bonus of 5% as that is factored into the scenario after the completion of the missions and is not included into the mission log stats.

So, the amount that it is granting is much lower then the previously thought 20.8%. The buff is currently only working partially and not as intended/advertised.