The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which Astromech droid came first, B5 series or P2 series?

P2 series was their prototype, so those. While the B5 series may be listed as an Astromech, it has no specifics on it...for all we know it could just be a untility droid or something, just because its on a ship doesn't make it an astromech. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

P2 series was their prototype, so those.

Actually no. P2 series astromech droids were introduced in the Rise of the Empire era. The B5 series was seen in TOR (B5-2T).

At least, that's what the article says. I believe the P2 was the prototype for the R-series. Note the following:

To date, the line includes ten models, from the prototype P2 to the state-of-the-art R9.
- The New Essential Guide to Droids Page 29- Industrial Automaton R-Series Astromech Droids.

Actually no. P2 series astromech droids were introduced in the Rise of the Empire era. The B5 series was seen in TOR (B5-2T).

At least, that's what the article says. I believe the P2 was the prototype for the R-series. Note the following:

- The New Essential Guide to Droids Page 29- Industrial Automaton R-Series Astromech Droids.

The B5 maybe listed as an astromech, however without specifications how to we know? Someone could have just thought, just because its on a ship it means its an astromech. There are such things as utility droids and the like. As per the P2...

The P2-series astromech droid was Industrial Automaton's first astromech droid prototype.
Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The B5 maybe listed as an astromech, however without specifications how to we know? Someone could have just thought, just because its on a ship it means its an astromech. There are such things as utility droids and the like. As per the P2...

Idk, the B5 series droid does look a lot like an R series droid, only more rough & bulky looking.

And yet:

B5-2T was an Astromech droid on the Republic Starship Allusis.

And the New Essential Guide to Droids clear states that the P2 is a prototype in the R-Series.

However, I did just find something. The term astromech has been used since the Jedi Civil War for utility droids. So perhaps you are correct. :p

And yet:

And the New Essential Guide to Droids clear states that the P2 is a prototype in the R-Series.

However, I did just find something. The term astromech has been used since the Jedi Civil War for utility droids. So perhaps you are correct. :p

P2 might have been the proto for the R series, but i keep looking at the way the B5 looks & can't help but wonder if it still played a hand in the P2 & R series design. lol