The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Disney Star Wars

For the past several months I have been hearing that people think Disney is going to ruining Star Wars. If you look at marvel that Disney bought several years ago not only did Disney keep the way it was they actually improved the franchise and it is going to be the same with Star Wars. Even though lucasarts has been made a license for future games and disneys contract with ea, and with ea already started work on future Star Wars games. This and the rebels series and episode 7 I see Star Wars having a bright future. I you still think that this is not true then give me GOOD reasons why.

For the past several months I have been hearing that people think Disney is going to ruining Star Wars. If you look at marvel that Disney bought several years ago not only did Disney keep the way it was they actually improved the franchise and it is going to be the same with Star Wars. Even though lucasarts has been made a license for future games and disneys contract with ea, and with ea already started work on future Star Wars games. This and the rebels series and episode 7 I see Star Wars having a bright future. I you still think that this is not true then give me GOOD reasons why.

Also, Disney has had "Star Wars Weekends" for the past 15ish years. I bring that up b/c for me personally I feel like purchasing the franchise was not necessarily a strictly business maneuver and thus Disney may take more care in the future movies. Some people may view my speculation as nonsense, but it helps me sleep at night :)

I'll just point out as I have before, that Marvel isn't exactly the best example of Disney's successes. Yes the movies are wildly popular and hugely successful, but this does not make them good quality. IMO the new Marvel franchise is simply appealing to the basest desires of the mass population - explosions, CGI and big characters, but at the cost of substance which is instead replaced with cliches. I wouldn't want Star Wars to end up like Marvel, I'm not saying that it will, but I don't see Marvel as a good example of why Star Wars has a bright future.

By right now, I don't really have much reason to be happy with Disney. They cancelled The Clone Wars, which I very much enjoyed, and the handed Lucasarts over the the Worst Company in America. Not exactly an excellent track record and more than enough reason to dislike the company and lack faith in the future of the franchise.

Nevertheless they've given me little reason to be worried about the quality of the new movies (except perhaps the spin-offs) and I have high hopes for Star Wars: Rebels - even if it is premiering on Disney XD.

So altogether, my opinions of Disney are mixed. I expect I'll have taken a firm stance after Star Wars Celebration Europe (were we'll see a preview of Rebels) and E3 (were we'll see what EA has planned for Star Wars) but until them Disney remains on shaky ground.

I have never hear official reports on SWG 2.0 so iam not counting that.

Disney and Lucas have been working together for over two decades which is very good for the franchise.

Even though TCW as been cancelled they are still going to finish the series,

it aint true cuz u spells and grammerrrrsss be horible sun!

Even though TCW as been cancelled they are still going to finish the series,
Well no, they are not. Two arcs is not finishing the series. Several episodes have been cut and the series had at least another Season in it. What we are getting is a third of a series. And we don't yet know if loose ends will be picked up and resolved in Rebels.

And looking at what Disney did in the past is all well and good, but what I'm concerned with is what they are doing now.

And concerning EA, people seem to forget that they are primarily a publisher, not a developer. Those great games from EA are developed by the likes of BioWare, DICE and Maxis. So I judge EA not by the quality of their games but by the quality of their service which is, more often that not, poor and disrespectful towards customers and the industry as a whole. I'm referring to online passes, rehashed IPs, overblown and often insane marketing techniques, locked content etc. Very, very few people are fans of the corporate individuals running EA.

Edited by Beniboybling

I'll just point out as I have before, that Marvel isn't exactly the best example of Disney's successes. Yes the movies are wildly popular and hugely successful, but this does not make them good quality. IMO the new Marvel franchise is simply appealing to the basest desires of the mass population - explosions, CGI and big characters, but at the cost of substance which is instead replaced with cliches. I wouldn't want Star Wars to end up like Marvel, I'm not saying that it will, but I don't see Marvel as a good example of why Star Wars has a bright future.

The point being made with the Marvel Universe movies is that Disney has taken what most persons would consider to be a niche product and made the characters wildly popular and hugely successful in movie format. Star Wars has become a similarly niche product; there are fewer and fewer fans with each successive generation. The hope is that Disney can revitalize the Star Wars genre - get more people interested in it again. And the Marvel movies are exhibit A that Disney can do just that.

My friends and I talk about this all the time. Some of them are big time comic book fans, but even they realize that movies based on comic book characters cannot and should not solely cater to comic book character fans; the movies have to appeal to a wider range of viewers and only so much can be fit into a two hour movie. Yes, this often means that a significant portion of the substance found in the comic book series is glossed over, massively modified, or removed completely. But that does not mean the movie(s) are bad. However, you are entitled to your opinion.

Since when has Star Wars become a niche thing?
Exactly this. While I see your point about Disney being able to revitalize a franchise but Star Wars has always been something that appeals to everyone. With the release of the the original trilogy it became a cultural phenomenon. There is no need to alter are 'dilute' it in anyway.

Exactly this. While I see your point about Disney being able to revitalize a franchise but Star Wars has always been something that appeals to everyone. With the release of the the original trilogy it became a cultural phenomenon. There is no need to alter are 'dilute' it in anyway.

Well with the release of ANH before it became ANH and was just Star Wars, it was a cultural phenomenon. :p But ya...its a big thing, its pretty much shown all the time on TV compared to most other sci-fi movies around that time period.