The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

And there's the difference between you and others. To them, that is the final word on the issue.

That's a shame IMO, because I think at times we have moved toward some interesting compromises that seemed rather reasonable and could work for a good portion of the playerbase overall.

I certainly do not hold the final word, and my opinion means next to nothing at the end of the day. I wish other players could realize that likely fact as well.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are my characters. I pay for them. There is no debate over what I can or can't do with them as it is nobody's business.

You should be able to change your level at will? You should be able to pick whatever skills you want? You should be able to set the number of credits and the number of implants you have whenever you want?

Oddly enough: Games are games because there are restrictions. Without restrictions, games are... well, the word pointless doesn't seem to cover it. Without barriers and restrictions, there simply isn't even a game. You just have a thing, a ball of putty that becomes whatever you want, yet fails to ever have any meaning or value.

Sorry that you misunderstood: Your advanced class is your *class*. Even if they add the ability to change your advanced class, you should expect that it would be intrusive. You are, effectively, creating an entirely different character, just as if you had requested to change your Monk into an Archer.

You are, effectively, creating an entirely different character, just as if you had requested to change your Monk into an Archer.

I don''t really see it as this. Unless you can be a Commando as an AC choice inside the Warrior tree, that really isn't a valid point IMO.

They can be looked at as separate classes within the base class due to the distinction between each within the class, but they certainly have little in common with other classes that have their own AC's.

Asking to be a Commando or a Vanguard, or switch is not as much of a stretch because the game is already designed to accept either choice within the class. But that naturally depends on the level the choice is made.

We are making the choice at level 10. They could have chosen level 20, or 30, etc. The AC to me seems to be a mechanism to allow more roles within a class and bring focus to those roles, as well as a gate to use specs.

This was the wrong way to go about it IMO, but that's another discussion.

Edited by LordArtemis

Oddly enough: Games are games because there are restrictions. Without restrictions, games are... well, the word pointless doesn't seem to cover it. Without barriers and restrictions, there simply isn't even a game. You just have a thing, a ball of putty that becomes whatever you want, yet fails to ever have any meaning or value.

I agree with this 100%. I believe that a game has both freedoms and barriers. If it is all barriers, or all freedoms, it ceases to be a game.

While the correct ratio of freedoms vs barriers is a personal opinion, there has to be some of each to have a game at all.

I don''t really see it as this. Unless you can be a Commando as an AC choice inside the Warrior tree, that really isn't a valid point IMO.

They can be looked at as separate classes within the base class due to the distinction between each within the class, but they certainly have little in common with other classes that have their own AC's.

Asking to be a Commando or a Vanguard, or switch is not as much of a stretch because the game is already designed to accept either choice within the class. But that naturally depends on the level the choice is made.

We are making the choice at level 10. They could have chosen level 20, or 30, etc. The AC to me seems to be a mechanism to allow more roles within a class and bring focus to those roles, as well as a gate to use specs.

This was the wrong way to go about it IMO, but that's another discussion.

You see Lord, that is the problem with you pro class swapping folks.. You are making your argument based on how you see it.. Not how it is and not how Bioware has stated it is.. Do you see the problem there??

Your arguments are moot because in most MMO's the class choice is at level 0 or character creation.. The fact that Bioware made it at level 10 is largely irrelevant to the discussion.. People still chose their AC knowing the consequences of that choice.. Their choice is permanent and it will not change.. The game says this repeatedly in Voice over and in text..

You class is not something that should be changed like a pair of underwear.. It defeats the point of having a class if it is allowed to be changed on a whim.. What you are in fact arguing for is no classes.. We are all the same class and we can all perform all roles.. That essentially is the final solution..

Again, back to WOW.. Dual spec'ing... WOW allowed this just after the launch of WOTLK.. With the release of MOP, there are no talent trees.. Hence no specs as we know them.. I doubt there is anyone here looking forward to some drastic changes to fix a mistake like allowing AC swapping.. I pray that we don't lose our talent trees as it is because Bioware has caved on the issue dual spec'ing so far..

Again, there is no reason to allow class swapping.. I have said this before, and nobody has yet to come up with one.. Not even you.. Your views are not based on the consensus of facts.. That fact alone largely renders your statements irrelevant..

You need to argue the issue as the AC's are in fact individual classes.. Because they are.. And then show how it would truly benefit the game and all the players to allow it.. You also have to show how rolling a new character doesn't accomplish the same thing, and come up with a logical reason that doesn't involve easier or more convenient.. As I have said before.. Laziness should never be a reason for any changes in an MMO... :)

Edited by MajikMyst

You see Lord, that is the problem with you pro class swapping folks..
lol lord isnt even PRO AC, he is however, neutral on the subject and trying to look at both side of the coin then go "im right, youre wrong"....which is more i can say for most people on this thread Edited by astrobearx

You see Lord, that is the problem with you pro class swapping folks.. You are making your argument based on how you see it.. Not how it is and not how Bioware has stated it is.. Do you see the problem there??

To be fair MajikMyst I am hardly a pro class swapper. I made my distaste for the option pretty clear over multiple posts...the ONLY option that I could consider supporting reluctantly at this time is one that allows a change shortly after the first one is made, say within 5 levels. I'm trying to be the voice of reason and remain neutral and open to opinions other than my own though I may find the option concerning.

Your arguments are moot because in most MMO's the class choice is at level 0 or character creation.. The fact that Bioware made it at level 10 is largely irrelevant to the discussion.. People still chose their AC knowing the consequences of that choice.. Their choice is permanent and it will not change.. The game says this repeatedly in Voice over and in text..

I think it's very relevant. The choice should have been at level 1 if it was designed as a class. If not that trivializes the choice. To say the choice is permanent and will not change is at best wishful, at worst dismissive IMO. They may allow AC change in the future and have eluded recently to that possibility. I think we have to face the possibly and at least find some way to present sensible restrictions.

You class is not something that should be changed like a pair of underwear.. It defeats the point of having a class if it is allowed to be changed on a whim.. What you are in fact arguing for is no classes.. We are all the same class and we can all perform all roles.. That essentially is the final solution..

I am not arguing for that at all. I am arguing that there is still room for discussion and the point that it is a class or not is actually what is moot...since what is important is what effect will allowing this change have on the game as a whole? That is what we should be asking IMO.

Again, back to WOW.. Dual spec'ing... WOW allowed this just after the launch of WOTLK.. With the release of MOP, there are no talent trees.. Hence no specs as we know them..

Again, there is no reason to allow class swapping.. I have said this before, and nobody has yet to come up with one.. Not even you.. Your views are not based on the consensus of facts.. That fact alone largely renders your statements irrelevant..

Well, to be fair you are creating facts that are more assumptions, and dismissing other facts to support those assumptions.

Neither side has cornered the market on facts or consensus. Any contention to the contrary is ludicrous IMO. I can respect your opinion, but I think it's too dismissive and wishing...certainly not realistic.

If we do nothing it is likely, IMO, that AC change will be implemented with little to no restrictions at all. That may not alarm you because you think it will never happen, but that alarms me greatly.....

And I for one will not bury my head in the sand. I will continue to discuss compromises.

You need to argue the issue as the AC's are in fact individual classes.. Because they are.. And then show how it would truly benefit the game and all the players to allow it.. You also have to show how rolling a new character doesn't accomplish the same thing, and come up with a logical reason that doesn't involve easier or more convenient.. As I have said before.. Laziness should never be a reason for any changes in an MMO... :)

With all due respect I just find this comment unrealistic. First, I'm sure you know you can not dictate how someone argues a point. And it is certainly not logical...rather amusing actually...to contend in any way that players want this based on laziness.

This is just not realistic and completely unproductive....almost toxic. IMO it contributes nothing to the discussion.

Edited by LordArtemis

Sorry that you misunderstood: Your advanced class is your *class*. Even if they add the ability to change your advanced class, you should expect that it would be intrusive. You are, effectively, creating an entirely different character, just as if you had requested to change your Monk into an Archer.

Yet another person who evidently refuses to acknowledge that ACs are sub-classes of the same base class and base class skills. So no, they they not entirely different.

I should be able to change my advanced class any time I want. At will. Without paying anything. No Cartel Coins. No Credits. JUST LIKE THE RESPEC. In fact, they should just add a couple of dialogue options to the existing vendor. Problem solved.

They are my characters. I pay for them. There is no debate over what I can or can't do with them as it is nobody's business.

There are so many things wrong with this statement, I am not sure where to start..

Ok.. Please read the EULA (End User License Agreement).. You will find this on your hard drive in your game folder..

You will notice in there that is says you have purchased a license to play the game.. Nothing in the game belongs to you.. You do not own your characters.. You do not own your gear.. You own nothing.. Yes that is right.. You own nothing.. Anything you buy on the Cartel Market is not yours.. All those speeders?? They will never see the inside of your garage..

You pay for a license.. That is all.. You pay for the right to play the game.. A right that Bioware may cancel at any time if they feel the need to.. Bioware is god around here.. They make the rules.. There is no higher ruling party or court other than Bioware when it comes to this game..

So no.. You do not own your characters and you can not just do whatever you want.. Oh.. No you don't pay for them either.. There is nothing in the game you pay for..

Perhaps you should read that large page of text for a change before you install the game.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

I think it's very relevant. The choice should have been at level 1 if it was designed as a class. If not that trivializes the choice. To say the choice is permanent and will not change is at best wishful, at worst dismissive IMO. They may allow AC change in the future and have eluded recently to that possibility. I think we have to face the possibly and at least find some way to present sensible restrictions.

The mistake you are making here is that it really doesn't matter when we choose our class.. The consequences of our choice are clearly stated.. Some people wait until 50 to choose their AC.. The when is irrelevant.. The understanding the consequences of choosing our class is all that matters..

With all due respect I just find this comment unrealistic. First, I'm sure you know you can not dictate how someone argues a point. And it is certainly not logical...rather amusing actually...to contend in any way that players want this based on laziness.

This is just not realistic and completely unproductive....almost toxic. IMO it contributes nothing to the discussion.

There is nothing unrealistic about it.. But it should go to show how stupid and fruitless this discussion is.. It was stupid and fruitless when it was discussed during the beta..

Because first people want to have the 'AC is not a class.' debate.. Which is pointless, Bioware already stated that it views the AC as our character classes.. So debating this issue ridiculous.. That is like debating a Ford is not a Ford when that is what Ford Motor company called the vehicle being discussed.. We as players do not get to make the call about what is or isn't.. We don't get to rename a Ford based on our views and we don't get to redefine a class based on our views..

As for the rest of it.. It is the reality of the situation.. Rolling a new character accomplishes all the same things as swapping AC.. I have both a shadow and a sage.. Separate characters, but I can both heal and tank..

As others have said.. Why would Bioware want to give away the game time to level a new character to the other AC.. It is not financially in their best interest to give away content like that..

There is nothing unrealistic about my statements.. But they should show how unrealistic the idea of swapping classes is.. Let's not forget how many times the game tells you both voice and text that your choice is permanent.. To even have this discussion you have to completely ignore that.. Which to me is a little stupid to say the least.. The game itself should be all the evidence we need to know the issue here and what the rules are.. Not to mention where Bioware stands on the issue.. After all they made the game say those things and wrote those texts.. So it should be completely obvious where Bioware is and has always been on this issue.. ;)

Well.. Doesn't there have to be something to discuss for there to be a discussion?? What is toxic is people beating this dead horse like they do..

There is no discussion here.. We all play the same game.. We all hear the same warnings.. It just boils down to who knows what the word permanent means..

These threads will never be productive because they ignore the reality of what is.. You can't have a productive discussion when people are pitting their views or feelings over the ruling of Bioware's law.. Or what the game itself says..

You want a productive discussion?? Make a new character, get it to level 10, and choose your AC.. Listen very carefully to those warnings.. All of them.. Read the warnings.. All of them.. Ok.. Now argue with that.. Because that is Bioware talking..

This isn't a new issue.. This was discussed during the beta.. We were told then that it would never happen.. Which is why Bioware put so many warnings in there.. In case you wondered.. People need to not take their choice lightly and they would have to live with the consequence of that choice.. There is nothing wrong with that.. People should be held accountable for choices about their character..

That is reality.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

The mistake you are making here is that it really doesn't matter when we choose our class.. The consequences of our choice are clearly stated.. Some people wait until 50 to choose their AC.. The when is irrelevant.. The understanding the consequences of choosing our class is all that matters..

There is nothing unrealistic about it.. But it should go to show how stupid and fruitless this discussion is.. It was stupid and fruitless when it was discussed during the beta..

Because first people want to have the 'AC is not a class.' debate.. Which is pointless, Bioware already stated that it views the AC as our character classes.. So debating this issue ridiculous.. That is like debating a Ford is not a Ford when that is what Ford Motor company called the vehicle being discussed.. We as players do not get to make the call about what is or isn't.. We don't get to rename a Ford based on our views and we don't get to redefine a class based on our views..

As for the rest of it.. It is the reality of the situation.. Rolling a new character accomplishes all the same things as swapping AC.. I have both a shadow and a sage.. Separate characters, but I can both heal and tank..

As others have said.. Why would Bioware want to give away the game time to level a new character to the other AC.. It is not financially in their best interest to give away content like that..

There is nothing unrealistic about my statements.. But they should show how unrealistic the idea of swapping classes is.. ;)

Actually I think it would be unfair to you to continue arguing about this point. You have made your views of my opinion known, and posted me in the "for change" position. So be it. That is your right.

There is no point in you and I continuing this disagreement further, since we seem to be at a impasse and I would rather respect your opinion and leave it at that.

how stupid and fruitless this discussion is..

There is nothing unrealistic about my statements.. But they should show how unrealistic the idea of swapping classes is.. ;)

1.) Yes, it is rather stupid and fruitless. For 10+ pages its been back and forth. Everything that could be said has been said.

2.) AC Swap isn't unrealistic. Why?

• Devs have already said it is on the wall of crazy.
  • Could be put on CM for a decent amount of money, making people spend $.
    • You can level 1-50 without spending a dime if you wanted to reroll.

[*]If done properly, I doubt many people would leave the game.

Edited by Kilora

1.) Yes, it is rather stupid and fruitless. For 10+ pages its been back and forth. Everything that could be said has been said.

Yes, everything was said before the game was even launched.. Yet some people, many of the same people continue to bring this issue up, to either irritate everyone, irritate Bioware, have no clue how to use the search button, or simply some think they came up with an original idea.

2.) AC Swap isn't unrealistic. Why?

• Devs have already said it is on the wall of crazy.
  • Could be put on CM for a decent amount of money, making people spend $.
    • You can level 1-50 without spending a dime if you wanted to reroll.

[*]If done properly, I doubt many people would leave the game.

Have you ever heard of a soft no?? It is called saying no without actually having to say it.. They have no intentions of ever putting AC swapping into the game.. But they will say anything except what I just said to avoid upsetting people.. So they will give these false answers like it is on the wall of crazy.. They are not saying no, but they aren't saying yes either..

If you want to find out where Bioware stands on the issue, then play the game.. Around level 10 when you pick up the quest to get your AC.. All you need to know is in the game..

As for who will leave and who won't?? I would advise you to not speculate and just speak for yourself.. It really shows how week your standing is when you are trying to predict what others might do if you get what you want..

Bioware does not want Class swapping.. You only have to look as far as the game for that.. Case closed.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

Yes, everything was said before the game was even launched.. Yet some people, many of the same people continue to bring this issue up, to either irritate everyone, irritate Bioware, have no clue how to use the search button, or simply some think they came up with an original idea.

Have you ever heard of a soft no?? It is called saying no without actually having to say it.. They have no intentions of ever putting AC swapping into the game.. But they will say anything except what I just said to avoid upsetting people.. So they will give these false answers like it is on the wall of crazy.. They are not saying no, but they aren't saying yes either..

If you want to find out where Bioware stands on the issue, then play the game.. Around level 10 when you pick up the quest to get your AC.. All you need to know is in the game..

As for who will leave and who won't?? I would advise you to not speculate and just speak for yourself.. It really shows how week your standing is when you are trying to predict what others might do if you get what you want..

Bioware does not want Class swapping.. You only have to look as far as the game for that.. Case closed.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Didnt know we were speaking with someone that is working for BW and EA on this game. Thank you for letting us know.

Actually I think it would be unfair to you to continue arguing about this point. You have made your views of my opinion known, and posted me in the "for change" position. So be it. That is your right.

There is no point in you and I continuing this disagreement further, since we seem to be at a impasse and I would rather respect your opinion and leave it at that.

Then you are not reading my posts.. I have not said anything about how I feel about your views.. I am simply calling it how it is based on the reality of the situation.. It isn't an issue of my right.. My rights have nothing to do with it..

You are trying to manipulate reality in order to make your opinions valid.. All I am saying is that you can't do that.. I am forcing you to have a point of view that are within the confines of reality.. You can't make up your own rules and then expect others to debate on it..

I have offered no opinion... I have simply stated the facts as they are known to be..

The game does in fact make multiple warnings about choosing your AC and the fact that it is a one time or permanent choice..

Bioware has stated that they consider your AC to be your characters class..

There is nothing to discuss.. ;)

That's awfully final for a game that has more players than simply yourself. There are limits to what the game will allow an individual to do as a player. That much is understood and expected generally.

That does not mean you do not have a point, but the finality of your post indicates there is no room for discussion, and that contention is opinion at best....certainly not true. There is plenty of room for discussion and I would think that what players do with their characters is everyone's business in some situations.

There is no debating my statement...

1.) I pay for my characters. Period. It's not a debate.

2.) What I do with my characters isn't your or anyone else's business. Again, not a debate. SOURCE: See 1

Edited by Anzel

Didnt know we were speaking with someone that is working for BW and EA on this game. Thank you for letting us know.

It is called reading what they put out.. Be it in the game, interviews, or forum posts.. All people need to do is pay attention to what is said.. From day 1, before launch even.. Bioware has said the same thing about this topic.. The game makes it abundantly clear.. Still.. People ignore all that and want to discuss it..

Bioware specifically said also, that they didn't want 1 character to be able to both heal and tank.. They purposely made the tank specs and healing specs in different classes.. Nobody seems to want to consider this either.

I don't work for Bioware.. I was in the beta for just over 6 months.. I was there for the debates and dual spec'ing, and when Bioware caved on that the debates about AC swapping started.. Bioware put their foot down and said it wouldn't happen.. Made dramatic changes to the game to insure people understood that it was a permanent choice.. They also made it very difficult to pick the wrong class.. Since that was a common claim.. Allowed us to see the talent trees before we chose our class.. There were a lot of changes.. What we have now is nothing like how it was in the beta.. Bioware spent a lot of time and effort taking care of our complaints so they wouldn't have to allow AC swapping.. People can't just claim they didn't know it would be a permanent choice.. The game tells you repeadedly.. There is no way to accidently pick the wrong one.. The buttons are not even close to each other.. I was there for all this.. Watched it happen.. Participated in the discussions..

Also.. My apologies for the :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That was unintended.. Was supposed to be a :)

Edited by MajikMyst

2.) What I do with my characters isn't your or anyone else's business. Again, not a debate. SOUCE: See 1

No you don't..

A. Grant.

You acknowledge that the Software and the Game are owned and/or validly licensed by EA and that they are protected by laws governing copyright, trademark, intellectual property rights and all other property rights.

Under the terms of this EUALA, and for purposes of playing the Game, EA grants you a personal, non-exclusive license to install and use the Software and play the Game for your personal use solely as set forth in this EUALA and the accompanying documentation. Your acquired rights are subject to your compliance with this EUALA. Any commercial use is expressly prohibited.

So again.. No you don't.. You own a license to play the game.. Nothing in the game is yours.. :rolleyes:

Then you are not reading my posts.. I have not said anything about how I feel about your views.. I am simply calling it how it is based on the reality of the situation.. It isn't an issue of my right.. My rights have nothing to do with it..

I guess respecting your opinion isn't enough. You require me to agree with you. I'll bite.

You are trying to manipulate reality in order to make your opinions valid.. All I am saying is that you can't do that.. I am forcing you to have a point of view that are within the confines of reality.. You can't make up your own rules and then expect others to debate on it..

First, you are incapable of forcing me to do anything. To think otherwise is just plain naive and foolish. You have invented a reality and expect me to accept it. I do not accept assumptions and sketchy facts as rock solid evidence. You can state the same fallacies over and over again, they will remain just as much fantasy as they were the first time you presented them.

What I can do is discuss it since i do not wish to support the feature without thinking about it first, and lucky for me you have absolutely no effect on whether or not I can make up my own mind. I am perfectly capable of doing that myself without your attempted manipulation of facts to fit your opinion.

I have offered no opinion... I have simply stated the facts as they are known to be..

You have offered little but opinion. The ONLY completely factual thing you have stated is that right now AC choice is permanent. Everything else is complete conjecture. You do not speak for Bioware...and I'm pretty sure they are not looking for someone to speak for them. They are perfectly capable of doing that themselves, define what they say and mean...you would probably be the last person that would set the definitions of anything they say.

The game does in fact make multiple warnings about choosing your AC and the fact that it is a one time or permanent choice..

Again, to my knowledge the only factual thing you have said...which has nothing to do with the points you make.

Bioware has stated that they consider your AC to be your characters class..

No they HAVE NOT. This is fantasy. What they have said is at best unclear...it is in NO way a direct statement that ACs are a unique class, PERIOD. This is fantasy, pure and simple, invented to support a particular view.

I SEE THEM AS CLASSES. But of course that means nothing to you because the fact that I am willing to listen to reason threatens your narrow view on the matter.

There is nothing to discuss.. ;)

You do not get to make that determination. At least not for me...and that pretty much goes for forever, just so you know.

Stop wasting your time. I am not a sheep. I will not buy into your fallacious views...do not mistake my graciousness for weakness.

2.) What I do with my characters isn't your or anyone else's business. Again, not a debate. SOURCE: See 1

It is not a debate for you. You do not determine whether or not it is a debate for others.

No they HAVE NOT. This is fantasy. What they have said is at best unclear...it is in NO way a direct statement that ACs are a unique class, PERIOD. This is fantasy, pure and simple, invented to support a particular view.

so them saying they are "fundamentally different classes" is not direct enough for you????

Bioware does not want Class swapping.. You only have to look as far as the game for that.. Case closed.. :)

First of all, Do you work for BW? If not, you have NO IDEA what their intentions are. In fact, if you bothered to read the OP -- or follow up on BWs interviews and posts and such, you'd see that they THINK IT WILL LIKELY MAKE ITS WAY INTO THE GAME.

So, there you go. You have no right to say what Bioware wants and does not want, because you haven't even bothered to educate yourself on the subject.

Lastly, please don't ever assume you know what I want. You truly show your ignorance and trollish behaviour by that last statement. Guess what? If you read back through my posts in this thread, you'll see that I am on neither side right now. Originally, I was against it -- until I realized that there is literally NO evidence to show it would be bad, and no reasoning aside from personal bias and "because other games don't do it."

I would suggest you not attempt to speak for the developers unless you are, in fact, a developer. You have no more information than anyone else -- so you shouldn't assume for a moment that you are any more correct than we are.

Good day.

It is not a debate for you. You do not determine whether or not it is a debate for others.

No... nobody else can debate it either...

1.) I pay for my characters. They are mine. Not debatable.

2.) What I do with them is my business. See 1.

See? Super easy.