The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Zoom level resets in each loading screen

tcmsimoes

The camera zoom level is reseted after each loading screen forcing the player to scroll back to its prefered zoom level.

Please fix this issue making the zoom level persistent on loading screens.

It would also be great if the zoom level would persist between play sessions!

Note: copy of this thread as it was posted in the wrong forum

• 2 weeks later...

(This is also a repost, sent to the wrong forum initially)

To add some specific details that may actually aid in fixing this...

I use my mouse wheel to zoom the camera in and out (likely not relevant to the behavior), and I can tell from careful movement of the wheel that the camera's zoom distance moves in small steps. When I initially log in, and whenever I change areas, the camera is always zoomed to a particular distance, which I've learned to recognize exactly due to the relative position of my feet compared to my quickbars. My preferred zoom distance is actually just one step farther out from that default.

The interesting bit is that when I move my mouse wheel just enough to zoom one step out, the camera actually jumps two steps - as if the game thought it was at the right distance already. So to position my camera as I prefer, I have to move my mouse wheel to zoom one step out and then one step in.

Further adding to the annoyance is the behavior that results from taxi rides. Some destinations (like the western imperial stop in Ilum's PvE area) nearly always place my camera zoomed all the way out, instead of the usual default distance. And again the behavior seems to be that zooming in a single step positions the camera as if I had moved it one step in from the distance it was at before the taxi ride, so I have to change my zoom distance twice (once in and once out) to set it correctly.

In short, the camera distance that gets used is often, from the player's perspective, an arbitrary default, while the client itself thinks that the camera is at some other distance, which then gets used as the basis for however the player adjusts the camera zoom.

This is an independent issue to the angle of the camera also getting reset when entering a new area, which perhaps is a design flaw instead of a bug because it appears there's no support for that actually being saved.