Suggestion to commando/merc

Uggen

Hello, I am making this post in order to have other players consider and comment two suggestions I have regarding the merc/mando for the gunnery spec.

First of all, don't misunderstand, I am aware that the commando is in a relatively good shape atm. These tweaks are small adjustments to fine-tune some of the commando's utility abilities. It is not a suggestion to make the class a whole lot better, but to finish and polish two abilities that I believe is not doing it's job.

The first ability I am gonnna talk about is adrenaline rush.

This ability was recently changed to making it activate at 30% hp and rapidly heal yourself up to that same percentage if you're HP should drop any lower. While I might consider suggesting making it healing you all the way up to 35% hp, or making it activate at 35% hp and heal you up to 40%, it is not something I am going to emphasize in this post. It is the cooldown that I believe first and foremost needs an adjustment. The cooldown on adrenaline rush is on 3 minutes, which in my opinion is far too long.

I am not saying adrenaline rush should be the equivalent of for example "guarded by the force", but the cooldown is simply too high. I would suggest having the cooldown on around 1min and 30 seconds(somewhere around there) in order to make it a useful ability more than a maximum of 4 times in for example voidstar. Long cooldowns are never good in MMOrpg games like these and they should be reduced.

The second ability I would like to suggest a tweak to is stockstrike.

While most people might wonder why I believe this particular ability should be adjusted, most experienced mando/mercs would know how important the stockstrike snare is in order to either kite or run away and then cast a grav round/tracer missile before the snare is over.

But while snaring the opponent and then using grav round/tracer missile works on most players, the ability alone just doesn't suffice in a situation against a competent player. the fact of the matter is, any kind or snaring, slow or ranged interrupt(shadows/assassins) makes the snare alone completely useless. the ability will have to be used in a combination of either "hold the line" or "concussion charge" in order to work effectively against a player who can press the slow, snare or ranged interrupt( (shadows/assassins)when you are casting your grav round). While I agree the snare should not be an ability that makes you a kiting god, being forced to use another cc ability in addition to the snare each time you face good players reduces it's effectiveness by too much.

Therefore I suggest that the stockstrike, in addition to the snare, gets a knockback effect aswell. Not a long one, maybe around 1-3 meters. the range would obviously have to be looked into to make it balanced. This nearly ensures you, that if you use stockstrike and run away 5-8 more meters, you will be able to get the grav round/tracer missile.

While I understand that people might think having a rather safe way of getting the first grav round/tracer missile on the opponent without using the tech override is a little too good, it is absolutely necessary for the merc/mando to activate it in order to be effective. This will not make the mando/merc a lot better by any means, it will simply allow it to use the stockstrike as a good kiting ability.

thank you for your time. Please read through and tell me if you agree or not, or have any suggestions yourself.

Sincerely, Uggen.

I really don't know.

The big reason for using Adrenaline Rush before was because I rolled everywhere as an Assault Commando which had a rapid CD on it.

A 15% heal when it now has a godawfully long CD with NO ability to speed things up is ridiculous, this is some kind of pathetic penalty for "heavy armour" which is why the dress wearering casters get a free 30s instant heal which amusingly DOES heal about 15% of their health in a DPS spec.

And no, I can do without a KB on SS.

I have a 20s CD on CCharge, 25s on HTL, 9s on the SS root, 1m on Cryo, various CD on the FA snare and 1m30 on Enet.

When CRound is not a waste of interrupted time that might get used too.

Having my fastest control ability generate resolve is a really bad thing. Which is what a knockback will do.

It was specifically said the knockback was removed because it helped melee kill you by building their resolve for very little gain.

I'm fine with a 0 resolve root on SS, among other things I find it useful to chase down targets with HTL and root someone trying to lose LOS or get to safety/goal line without destroying my ability to hard stun or knockback.

Edited by Gyronamics

I agree with the cd on Adrenaline Rush, and what I'd add is the fact that it's so annoying that the ability is wasted if my health dips below 29% and pops up to 30% and stays that way for the entire duration of Rush. I'd love it if it wasn't such a situational cooldown (more then usual cooldowns that is) . When you want to be safe just in case and you pop it at like 40% and you slightly drop below 30 and then you're peeled for, healed or just saved, that's when I can understand why some people actually preffered the old Rush. So yeah, at the very least, a smaller cd would be really good.

But as far as Stockstrike goes, I understand what you're saying but I feel like we're ok with just a root. Yes sin and operatives can interrupt us from 10m (15m with set bonus afaik) but getting outside that range is about 1 global (kolto bomb) if you make sure you Ss when you're not slowed, which, for those classes, doesn't have a 100% uptime. And as far as other classes go, just a root is enough.

I would like some interrupt immunity cooldown though, yes please :(

Man, i am 100% agree with you. I think, that you named two main problems of our class now. We need knockback, or it could be a bit longer, maybe 5 or 6 sec. I hope, that Bioware will see your post. I think, you must place link to this threa on pvp forum. And i have one idea, too. In our healing tree, we have a talant which makes us uninterruptable during shield. I think, we must have this as passive ability for whole class.

I agree with the cd on Adrenaline Rush, and what I'd add is the fact that it's so annoying that the ability is wasted if my health dips below 29% and pops up to 30% and stays that way for the entire duration of Rush. I'd love it if it wasn't such a situational cooldown (more then usual cooldowns that is) . When you want to be safe just in case and you pop it at like 40% and you slightly drop below 30 and then you're peeled for, healed or just saved, that's when I can understand why some people actually preffered the old Rush. So yeah, at the very least, a smaller cd would be really good.

But as far as Stockstrike goes, I understand what you're saying but I feel like we're ok with just a root. Yes sin and operatives can interrupt us from 10m (15m with set bonus afaik) but getting outside that range is about 1 global (kolto bomb) if you make sure you Ss when you're not slowed, which, for those classes, doesn't have a 100% uptime. And as far as other classes go, just a root is enough.

I would like some interrupt immunity cooldown though, yes please :(

I would LOVE a interrupt immunity, then we would be able to actually cast when a melee is on us. Not just have every grav round be interrupted, and have to use CB.

This seems to be a very PvP oriented discussion. Ill throw my 2 cents in.

1. Use your healing abilities!: If your at 15% - 30% Heal up with your healing abilities!

2. Just use Concussion Round!: If your needing to get away just pop concussion round on the person or if you really want to screw with them throw Electro Net on them! I would like to bring up a slightly different point.

3. Concussion Charge Heal problems...: I mainly play Merc Healer and i do plan to make a Gunnery commando. I have 1 major issue with Jet Boost/Concussion Charge's heal. The damn CD... Concussion Charge's heal heals for about 2k - 3k. Which ROCKS. but its 30 Sec CD REALLY gets in the way of the Utility use of it... If the Kolto Jets/Kolto Wave talent also put the CD of Jet Boost/Concussion Charge to like 15 or even 20 seconds. I would be much happier about the Kolto Jets/Wave talent.