The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yoda's race should have a name

Do you think it's possible that, in a galaxy of over 20 million species, no one has ever thought to ask them they're name? They're obviously sentient and important, and maybe when you meet over 20 million species you stop keeping track, and just don't care that much anymore.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think it's possible that, in a galaxy of over 20 million species, no one has ever thought to ask them they're name? They're obviously sentient and important, and maybe when you meet over 20 million species you stop keeping track, and just don't care that much anymore.
Lol, my thoughts exactly. They are simply not prominent and well known enough. I mean add that to the fact that there are only 5 of them recorded in existence, most of the time the only known members in their respective eras, and that they have always been Jedi - pretty reclusive and deliberately faceless individuals. Whether they fight in wars or not.

Like I said the Celestials were known and named by ancient races such as the Gree and the Kiliks, these species coexisted with the Celestials who were a dominant and prominent species. So scientists actually could 'find' them. We can presume that this name has been passed down through the ages so that sentient species of 'today' are aware of it. The Ones as I have already explained, named themselves and gave that name to others such as the Nightsisters and the Force demons for lack of information cannot be commented on.

We also have to remember that the Celestials left behind many ancient artifacts that can be studied and analysed. This is essentially it, if something can't be studied and analysed it cannot be formally named therefore Yoda's species cannot be formally named and will remain unnamed until someone comes across a Yoda village or get's hold of Yoda's body.

Then many people coexisted with Yoda's race, especially the members of the Jedi order, why wouldn't they give them a name?

Then many people coexisted with Yoda's race, especially the members of the Jedi order, why wouldn't they give them a name?
I believe I've already covered this point on multiple occasions. In fact I the very post you quoted addresses this point.

But concerning the Jedi, they are the least likely to ascribe a name to Yoda's species as they are the most likely to respect and revere their culture and probably see no need to. I expect some have asked but the answer is likely 'have a name, we do not' or 'choose to take a name, we do not' or 'lost to the centuries, our name has been' and a Jedi is content to leave it at that rather than say 'OK well I'm going to name you Phyllomedusa sauvagii!'

What if the Yoda-species don't have a name and don't want to be named? What if that's a part of their culture? The few beings in the galaxy that they come across them can respect that.

I believe I've already covered this point on multiple occasions. In fact I the very post you quoted addresses this point.

But concerning the Jedi, they are the least likely to ascribe a name to Yoda's species as they are the most likely to respect and revere their culture and probably see no need to. I expect some have asked but the answer is likely 'have a name, we do not' or 'choose to take a name, we do not' or 'lost to the centuries, our name has been' and a Jedi is content to leave it at that rather than say 'OK well I'm going to name you Phyllomedusa sauvagii!'

What if the Yoda-species don't have a name and don't want to be named? What if that's a part of their culture? The few beings in the galaxy that they come across them can respect that.

Not just the Jedi know it, most of the other races also know it since the Jedi played a big part in the war.

We still have to name it just like we did to all other beings.

This is just speculation but seeing that It's most likely a long forgotten race that's nearly extinct it is possible the name was lost with time. Perhaps even they don't remember the name of their race. As in perhaps when Yoda was born the name of his race had been forgotten. Maybe there was an occurrence that made them unwilling to call themselves by the name they gave themselves. Maybe they simply never named their race out of humility or some other reason. Maybe the name is unpronounceable in Basic. Maybe they simply withhold the name due to pride or custom as in they only reveal it to someone worthy of knowing. Plus given how apparently there aren't that many out there to begin it, it's also possible people haven't run into enough of them to give them a scientific name. It's also possible people mistake him for another species or a mutant. Maybe he and the others are mutatations of another race.

Maybe George Lucas simply doesn't want to name them to keep that mysticism about him.

Plus it doesn't help that the ones we do know of are Jedi who live mostly in seclusion from the rest of the galaxy in the Jedi Temple except during the Clone Wars. It's not like you can just waltz in the temple and ask Yoda what he is. Plus even when the Clone Wars brought the Jedi to the public It's not like they got to know them all that much. Even when Anakin and Obi Wan were famous heroes, to the best of my knowledge, they never gave interviews with people.

I honestly think they don't need a name to be honest. It's sorta what draws you into Yoda's character. He's a powerful being you know next to nothing about. A relic from another time. Infact....that's sorta ruined for me by the fact that there are more of his race running about albeit a few.

Edited by CassusVerda

You know, it's actually surprising that the Jedi Order doesn't have much information on Yoda's species in their 'fathomless collection' of their Jedi Archives. They have research and knowledge dating thousands of years and it's hard to imagine that never any of them would consider making a record about a member of Yoda's species the first time one was spotted.

I mean, you find a powerful member of your order of an unfamiliar species and don't ask questions?

Okay, so maybe it wasn't important the first time... Or the second... But come on, by the time Yoda is around, why wouldn't they have any information on Yoda's species? By then they'd know that every member is powerful or important. It's just hard to believe that the Order wouldn't take note of it...

Surely they'd have a record of that then, a note saying it was lost to the ages or whatever. The Jedi Archive is thorough, keeping records of many cultures and notes on things sacred to such cultures.

Surely they'd have a record of that then, a note saying it was lost to the ages or whatever. The Jedi Archive is thorough, keeping records of many cultures and notes on things sacred to such cultures.

Here's a thought. What if each member of this mysterious species refuses to give any information to the Jedi Order for it's archives? Maybe It is a long standing order that zero information be recorded about them. Since there are so very few to have been known to exist over the millenia, perhaps they want to keep themselves a secret so that nobody can find them, including the Sith. Considering that the few who have been seen have also been Jedi, imagine what might happen if the Sith found a colony of them.

Consider there are no records of the species in the archives because it is forbidden to record any information about them.

Edited by Kilikaa

Here's a thought. What if each member of this mysterious species refuses to give any information to the Jedi Order for it's archives? Maybe It is a long standing order that zero information be recorded about them. Since there are so very few to have been known to exist over the millenia, perhaps they want to keep themselves a secret so that nobody can find them, including the Sith. Considering that the few who have been seen have also been Jedi, imagine what might happen if the Sith found a colony of them.

Consider there are no records of the species in the archives because it is forbidden to record any information about them.

Then it would be recorded that each member refuses to give information about their culture. If there was a request or an order that no research about them could be taken then it would be documented as such.

The Jedi would want an account of all species in the galaxy; there may be only five of Yoda's species that have been seen, and all are powerful, and all have since been aligned with the Republic, but there is no way for anyone to know if any members of Yoda's species could be a dark side practitioner.

I'm sorry, but them requesting their species to not be researched, I just don't buy it and can't imagine it. The Jedi stick their noses in everywhere and have an extensive archive of knowledge. I'm sure they'd try to respect customs but they would certainly record those traditions down. Even if such a record was "Subject does not wish to discuss species." or something.

I agree with both sides here.

The name would be unsatisfactory. BUT we're really doing some gymnastics to come up with reasons why no one has called that race anything at all (even a nickname).

I like to think that there is some name for them, and the audience has yet to hear it (and never will). A race (even a dwindling, reclusive one) without a name is not any more mysterious. It just makes all others around this race seem dim.

Edited by KhalPwno

Maybe they do, it still doesn't constitute a name. Or maybe they just don't, after all it would only lead to further questions from those who come across it, questions the species would not be willing to answer.

I agree with both sides here.

The name would be unsatisfactory. BUT we're really doing some gymnastics to come up with reasons why no one has called that race anything at all (even a nickname).

I like to think that there is some name for them, and the audience has yet to hear it (and never will). A race (even a dwindling, reclusive one) without a name is not any more mysterious. It just makes all others around this race seem dim.

I would say so. It makes more sense that a species of whom we can only name five (spanning millenia) all of whom were members of a reclusive and modest religious sect existing in a galaxy with over 20 million sentient species, whose planet and origins are unknown and who in some eras of the galaxy their is likely no recorded evidence of them, would not be named.

Its also not to much a leap of faith to assume that their name has been lost in the centuries or cannot be understood, given how ancient, rare and mysterious they are.

Okay, so currently we got something of a disagreement over wheter or not the species of Yoda should have a name.

Now let us for a moment assume, that Disney offers us a name for Yodas species...

We would then instantly have three disagreements:

1. The war between people who like the species name given and those who dislike the name. Some will hate it, some will call it the end of starwars. Some will call it the biggest mistake of mankind since the emergence of wookiee.

2. The continuation of disagreement about whether the species should have been revealed or not.

3. The disagreement if the revealed species name would be canon or not and if yes, which canon layer it would apply to.

So why would anyone take away the mistery of a fabulous species just to create more verbal war?

Edited by JPryde

Then it would be recorded that each member refuses to give information about their culture. If there was a request or an order that no research about them could be taken then it would be documented as such.

The Jedi would want an account of all species in the galaxy; there may be only five of Yoda's species that have been seen, and all are powerful, and all have since been aligned with the Republic, but there is no way for anyone to know if any members of Yoda's species could be a dark side practitioner.

I'm sorry, but them requesting their species to not be researched, I just don't buy it and can't imagine it. The Jedi stick their noses in everywhere and have an extensive archive of knowledge. I'm sure they'd try to respect customs but they would certainly record those traditions down. Even if such a record was "Subject does not wish to discuss species." or something.

If there is a standing order that no information about the species is to be recorded then it is also very likely that the order itself is not to be on record. There are many requests and orders given throughout military history that have no record of being issued. Just because the Jedi would want an account of the species does not mean they have it, regardless of how often they stick their noses into other peoples business.

Just because you cannot imagine this happening doesn't make it any less likely. The Yoda species is a mystery, there is no actual galactic name for them. Beni brought up many good reasons for this, I added another plausible one. Whatever the case, the fact remains there is no name and it should remain that way.

If there is a standing order that no information about the species is to be recorded then it is also very likely that the order itself is not to be on record. There are many requests and orders given throughout military history that have no record of being issued. Just because the Jedi would want an account of the species does not mean they have it, regardless of how often they stick their noses into other peoples business.

Just because you cannot imagine this happening doesn't make it any less likely. The Yoda species is a mystery, there is no actual galactic name for them. Beni brought up many good reasons for this, I added another plausible one. Whatever the case, the fact remains there is no name and it should remain that way.

No. If it's a standing order, especially a military one, then there would be a record of it.

The fact remains that each member of Yoda's species is incredibly powerful and lives long lives. One of them even became the Jedi Grand Master of the Jedi Order. That in itself would warrant special insight on their species, a note of members of their species being prominent in their order.

I'm not saying that it would have the species' name. It may or may not be there. But they would have a record. We as the audience may not know it ourselves, but to assume that the Order doesn't have a record of Yoda's species is absurd.

More importantly do they even need to have a name or a history anyway? Is it that important? I don't really see the need for it.

Not for us as the audience, no. For the Order or other groups in the Republic or even Empire, definitely. They may not know the species' name or their history, but that in itself is noteworthy. Especially for the Empire, I'd imagine. They keep tabs on their enemy. I've no doubt Sidious did his own research or recorded his own observation on Yoda.

No. If it's a standing order, especially a military one, then there would be a record of it.

QUOTE]

"There will be no recording of Information regarding the species of Master Vandaar. Anything you learn will be verbal only. Nothing will be recorded in any form and added to the Jedi archives. Same goes for this order, it is a verbal order from the Grand Master himself and over-rides all orders to the contrary, printed or otherwise."

Do you see how it easy it is to issue a order and NOT have a record of it? Some orders are off the record but are none-the-less official orders, especially if they come from the Supreme Commander, Grand Master or President. Just because it is a military order does not mean there will be a record of it. This is a very plausible possibility as to why there are no records in the archives and why the species has no actual name.

QUOTE]

"There will be no recording of Information regarding the species of Master Vandaar. Anything you learn will be verbal only. Nothing will be recorded in any form and added to the Jedi archives. Same goes for this order, it is a verbal order from the Grand Master himself and over-rides all orders to the contrary, printed or otherwise."

Do you see how it easy it is to issue a order and NOT have a record of it? Some orders are off the record but are none-the-less official orders, especially if they come from the Supreme Commander, Grand Master or President. Just because it is a military order does not mean there will be a record of it. This is a very plausible possibility as to why there are no records in the archives and why the species has no actual name.

Fine, though very very doubtful and incredibly unlikely. Regardless, the Empire or Sith would not abide by those hypothetical rules created by the Jedi or Republic..

Edited by October

Fine, though very very doubtful and incredibly unlikely. Regardless, the Empire or Sith would not abide by those hypothetical rules created by the Jedi or Republic..

No, the Sith would not abide by the same rules of the Jedi. But the Sith would have even less means of learning anything about Yoda's species than the Jedi. Since they knew nothing about the species it doesn't matter if they went by the Jedis rules regarding them or not. The Sith had no record of them or else they would have used that information to locate them and make them part of the Empire.

By the way, everything mentioned in this thread is hypothetical, not just my very plausible incredibly likely scenario. The fact remains there is no actual name for the species nor does it need one. Some things are better left unknown.