Boot texture mapping warped [Omenbringer / Traditional Nylite / Sanctified Caretaker]

Estelindis

Problem: The texture of a number of boots is warped in an ugly way. This refers to the boots themselves, not to their item icons.

Possible cause: I think the problem is with the model, not the texture; the way in which the texture is "wrapped around" the model is usually part of the model data. The specific part of the model where the problem would be found is, in my experience, called uvw mapping or t-verts (texture vertices).

Items affected: Omenbringer's Boots (Jedi Consular class-exclusive orange-quality light armour); Traditional Nylite Boots (Synthweaving orange-quality light armour, Republic appearance); Sanctified Caretaker's Boots (Cartel Martet item, thus adaptive armour). The boots in question all use the same model and texture, so the problem was probably passed from one to the next.

Screenshot: Texture warping of Sanctified Caretaker Boots (no point in screenshotting all three as they look exactly the same, but please fix all three - thanks).

Possible solution: The geometry of the model for these boots is the same as many other models of light boots (in the case of the other boots' Republic appearances at least), so maybe the model for the bugged boots could be "remade" by applying the texture of the bugged boots to the geometry of other boots whose uvw mapping is fine.

Edited by Estelindis

Problem: The texture of a number of boots is warped in an ugly way. This refers to the boots themselves, not to their item icons.

Possible cause: I think the problem is with the model, not the texture; the way in which the texture is "wrapped around" the model is usually part of the model data. The specific part of the model where the problem would be found is, in my experience, called uvw mapping or t-verts (texture vertices).

Items affected: Omenbringer's Boots (Jedi Consular class-exclusive orange-quality light armour); Traditional Nylite Boots (Synthweaving orange-quality light armour, Republic appearance); Sanctified Caretaker's Boots (Cartel Martet item, thus adaptive armour). The boots in question all use the same model and texture, so the problem was probably passed from one to the next.

Screenshot: Texture warping of Sanctified Caretaker Boots (no point in screenshotting all three as they look exactly the same, but please fix all three - thanks).

Possible solution: The geometry of the model for these boots is the same as many other models of light boots (in the case of the other boots' Republic appearances at least), so maybe the model for the bugged boots could be "remade" by applying the texture of the bugged boots to the geometry of other boots whose uvw mapping is fine.

I would just like to second this, as I've seen this bug, too. I assumed they were just ugly boots, but I'm glad to hear it's something that can hopefully be fixed. I like the model of these boots; just hate the way the texture maps on!

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Thanks for necroing it for me, it would've felt rude a second time! :D This is one of those bugs that keeps surprising me by still existing. Especially since there's a cartel version of the item - and my personal experience (though this may be very far from the SWTOR reality) implies it'd be an easy fix. I continue to live in hope that it may be sorted soon.

Bumping this thread for this big still persists. It is active on said boots, which is associated with one of my outfits, so I would indeed like to see a fix for this.

I think it's pretty safe to say this bug will never be fixed. It's been around almost as long as the CM has been in the game, roughly 9 years.

It's worth noting, however, the same exact boots are available in the game, basically for free, and don't have the texture bugs you've referred to. There are multiple ways to find these boots.

There was a legacy bound version that dropped very commonly at level 75 for all of 6.x and still does from 75-79 as world drop loot. It is green-tier loot with iRating 270. A typical place to get the drop is while doing heroics, and it's found on any class and on both factions.

There's also a new non-world drop version of the same set, including the boots, that is also legacy bound and sold on the fleet 5.x Command Crate gear vendor. This vendor is found next to the Spoils of War vendor in Supplies. The set is called "Force Herald", and you can buy the boots for 3500 tech frags and 500k credits. Here is a link to TOR Fashion where you can see this set and the boots individually: https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/force-herald/

There are cheaper, non-legacy bound versions of that model of boot, though. Search the GTN for "light armor" on the Republic side, with feet selected, and you'll find what you're looking for 1-10k credits. People post them all week, often for the default GTN price on Star Forge. I can't recall the particular level range for the sets that have the same boots, but there are multiple ones.

In short, any of the above options will give you proper looking boots for the bugged Sanctified Caretaker CM set, identical ones to the ones seen in the set that aren't bugged.

The game has so many pressing issues for bugs in 7.0 this really isn't worth developer attention.

Edited by arunav

Thanks for necroing it for me, it would've felt rude a second time! :D This is one of those bugs that keeps surprising me by still existing. Especially since there's a cartel version of the item - and my personal experience (though this may be very far from the SWTOR reality) implies it'd be an easy fix. I continue to live in hope that it may be sorted soon.

Please see my post above. It will solve your issue. I also use pieces of the Sanctified Caretaker set sometimes on one of my characters.

Wow, I didn't even realize this was a bug. Although they looked a bit odd, I thought it was just an asymmetrical design or something.

I'm fairly certain it's a bug. I spent a long time messing around in 3d programs making custom content for Neverwinter Nights, so I've seen plenty of texture mapping issues in my day. To me, this looks like one of those problems.

Please see my post above. It will solve your issue. I also use pieces of the Sanctified Caretaker set sometimes on one of my characters.

Thanks for your diligence. Even though I am aware of the other boots, I do still think this bug should be fixed. You said it's been around at least 9 years. I think it may be the full 10! To the best of my memory, the synthwoven version of this item was in the game from launch. But I could be wrong. There are likely some things that were added very soon post-launch that merge into my early memories of this game.

There was a legacy bound version that dropped very commonly at level 75 for all of 6.x and still does from 75-79 as world drop loot. It is green-tier loot with iRating 270. A typical place to get the drop is while doing heroics, and it's found on any class and on both factions.

There's also a new non-world drop version of the same set, including the boots, that is also legacy bound and sold on the fleet 5.x Command Crate gear vendor. This vendor is found next to the Spoils of War vendor in Supplies. The set is called "Force Herald", and you can buy the boots for 3500 tech frags and 500k credits. Here is a link to TOR Fashion where you can see this set and the boots individually: https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/force-herald/

There are cheaper, non-legacy bound versions of that model of boot, though. Search the GTN for "light armor" on the Republic side, with feet selected, and you'll find what you're looking for 1-10k credits. People post them all week, often for the default GTN price on Star Forge. I can't recall the particular level range for the sets that have the same boots, but there are multiple ones.

Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware of any such alternatives, and even if the boots you mentioned may not be identical on a 1:1 ratio, they're good enough.

The game has so many pressing issues for bugs in 7.0 this really isn't worth developer attention.

Ah, yes, the super secret strategy of creating more problems just to bury the previous ones so that they don't have to be addressed. :p

Thank you for the information. I wasn't aware of any such alternatives, and even if the boots you mentioned may not be identical on a 1:1 ratio, they're good enough.

Ah, yes, the super secret strategy of creating more problems just to bury the previous ones so that they don't have to be addressed. :p

What I've mentioned is a 1:1 identical set of boots. I use the Sanctified Caretaker set in one of my outfitter tabs, and compared the CM version of the boots against what I've suggested. They are the same, once matched to chest, except those I cited above are not bugged.

Edited by arunav

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.