Bioware, why u no make wookies playable race?

halofanman

Cathar doesn't interest me at all, they might as well have put Gungan's so everyone can run around looking like jarjar. but on a serious note, I'd like to see Wookies as a playable race. or how about Rodians that would be a perfect smuggler or bounty hunter race, Trandoshan, or even Gran would have been cooler than a bunch of cats running around. why not Bothan, Selkath...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rodian

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Trandoshan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gran

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Selkath

Unfortunately for us, Bioware did say they wouldn't be making any species playable if they couldn't speak basic because they said that originally, Tython was going to have a whole different species on the planet, but after three or four quests, they said how you'd want to punch your hand through the monitor. I can find the quote if you'd like, but they also said that it would be a LONG LONG LONG time before they added species like Togruta and Nautolian's((spelling?)) due to the fact that there are major clipping issues with the tentacles/headtails.

if you have an inquisitor that has gotten past Taris in the story, you get a Togruta companion named Ashara, and the clipping issues are so bad, that they clip into her chin. They said it wouldn't work for some armors, so they abandoned the idea. This was all said in a certain thread about the ultimate playable species thread..I can link it later if you'd like.

Because wookiees stink.

(and they cannot speak basic, and they need another sentient being to guide them around)

You just made me think of something Jpryde...you are correct that they cannot speak basic, i believe i read something about BW's stance on not allowing races that in canon dont speak basic.

But here is what i just realized...without the requirement to speak basic you could easily add a new class that just has canned audio responses to quest dialogue. It would obviously be heavy with subtitles, and the canned alien speak that you hear in game would have to be expanded upon. If you listen to the Huttese dialogue in game there is a phrase the is used a lot and is very distinct.

Without the restriction of the basic language you can have a Wookie voiced by anybody. It can be a dev, one of the devs kids, the janitor, the maid whatever...anybody that can make a good Wookie impression. This way you dont have to hire a professional actor to do actual voicework that conforms to a script. You just get someone that knows how to talk like a Wookie and have them "blar lar lar grar" into a mic and you are good. With basic you would have to do this for every piece of dialogue AND the dialogue would have to be spoken correctly. With Wookie speak you just need a few more extra phrases then what we have now and reuse them for everything. This would allow you to do a complete story from 1-55 and do it with canned Wookie speak. Hell you can do the same thing for other new classes...sentient droid class that speaks only Huttese for example.

The only downside to all this would be subtitles. Which for some might be a huge turn off, but if it gave you the chance to play a Wookie...i would personally be OK with subtitles.

You just made me think of something Jpryde...you are correct that they cannot speak basic, i believe i read something about BW's stance on not allowing races that in canon dont speak basic.

But here is what i just realized...without the requirement to speak basic you could easily add a new class that just has canned audio responses to quest dialogue. It would obviously be heavy with subtitles, and the canned alien speak that you hear in game would have to be expanded upon. If you listen to the Huttese dialogue in game there is a phrase the is used a lot and is very distinct.

Without the restriction of the basic language you can have a Wookie voiced by anybody. It can be a dev, one of the devs kids, the janitor, the maid whatever...anybody that can make a good Wookie impression. This way you dont have to hire a professional actor to do actual voicework that conforms to a script. You just get someone that knows how to talk like a Wookie and have them "blar lar lar grar" into a mic and you are good. With basic you would have to do this for every piece of dialogue AND the dialogue would have to be spoken correctly. With Wookie speak you just need a few more extra phrases then what we have now and reuse them for everything. This would allow you to do a complete story from 1-55 and do it with canned Wookie speak. Hell you can do the same thing for other new classes...sentient droid class that speaks only Huttese for example.

The only downside to all this would be subtitles. Which for some might be a huge turn off, but if it gave you the chance to play a Wookie...i would personally be OK with subtitles.

agreed^