The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Armor Dyes

Why on the cartel market are the new Dyes sold only in random packs? Why can I not just pick a specific Dye and buy it? My guess is most people will want to dye their armors specific colors not whatever random crap dyes they get from the cartel market.

This has nothing to do with the dyes available through artifice crafting only the cartel market.

Exactly what I was wondering. They gave us a small bone by allowing Artifice to be able to craft some dyes but the better looking ones will be completely random. So far on my Artifice, I have no dyes I want to really craft to wear.

I agree completely. They charge you far too much to get the dye packs, but you have no control over what you get. That is a blatant attempt at a money grab from players, and I think it is shameful. Let me pick, especially if I'm paying. If I'm picking up loot that is one thing, but if I'm paying money, don't try and squeeze extra money out of me by getting me to buy a ton of packs before I get one I want. Terrible implementation all around. The Cathar is another example. You have to pay to unlock it, subscriber or not, then if you want to change an existing character--you pay again. Same with all the new hairstyles etc. Just plain greedy.....

Now see, the Cathar thing I'm totally OK with.

It's not that expensive, and its account wide. If you're a subscriber, it's essentially free with the cartel coins you get every month. I've got no issue there.

I ended up buying a few of these because I had nothing else to spend the coins on. Got one nice looking purple White/Med Gray. I still would've been happier if they simply allowed us to buy what we wanted, but I do understand the reasons not to. For every one person who complains there's 4 other people buying 40 bucks in cartel coins just to get dyes. Seriously. We all know this.

Something you should all keep in mind though - things like black/black look different on different armors. Make sure when people link rare, rare dye combos in chat you make SURE it looks good on you. IN my case, the black/black looked horrible because of the teritary colors/designs of my equipment. White with gray looked way better.

Edited by islander

Why on the cartel market are the new Dyes sold only in random packs? Why can I not just pick a specific Dye and buy it? My guess is most people will want to dye their armors specific colors not whatever random crap dyes they get from the cartel market.

This has nothing to do with the dyes available through artifice crafting only the cartel market.

I was going to begin a thread to express this very sentiment. I'm pleased someone beat me to it.

Bioware: allow us to purchase the dyes directly, rather than playing "dye roulette." You will still make money on the cartel market, while at the same time giving your players what they want and making them happy.

I think that, overall, 2.1 has been a huge success: the player-base is extremely happy with the changes and new options, despite some grumbling about pricing, etc. from some players.

However, the dyes kits are the single biggest gripe overall. You have an opportunity to make your players happy here. Seize it - listen to your players and change the way this feature has been implemented.

The dye system could have been great.

1. Black and white should be directly purchasable from the cartel market. Maybe gray, but I tend to think the shades of gray would be better in the reputation/CE/SK vendors.

2. Crafting Crew Skills should be able to create a "dye pack" with 1, 2, or 3 slots. (some armors have a third color zone)

3. Rep, SK, and CE vendors have special colors or schematics that can only be purchased there.

4. All other dyes can be crafted by artifice.

5. You buy the dyes you want and the "Dye Pack" with the number of slots you want to use to recolor your armor. You slot the dye's into the dye pack. Dyes can be pulled out of a dye pack so you can slot in the dye and then preview the color combination.

6. You slot the dye pack into your armor. At this point you cannot pull it out without destroying it (as the system exists now.)

This system is A) much more customizable B) adds something to the crew skills C) generates money for the two most wanted colors in the game and D) doesn't piss off the users nearly as much

Edited by BrokenBokken