The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So I just hopped on my lv 13 vanguard and wanna pvp tank with him

ReckonerH

at that level you have very few abilities.

so i suggest you find out who is healing in your team and put "guard" on him (and stay within 15 meters).

if you do not have a healer, figure out the highest dpser in your team and guard him.

eventually a tanks objective is "pealing". which means to pull/cc/taunt the target that tries to burst down the player you guard.

aside from that, a tank is usually the one carrying the ball in huttball (although usually guardian tanks and shadow tanks will do that)

PS: calling incomings early and correctly is crucial !

so if you do that you are already helping your team more then many.

Edited by Quantemoq

Any tips on what tactics, talents, and moves to use? Just played a single warzone and I did my best on defense, calling incs and stuff, but combat wise I had no clue what I was doing :(

unless you want a hard path of trying to figure out a spec to simply keep up with other tanks in end game pvp then i wouldnt roll a vanguard tank. if u like the challenge of being a good tank on the worst tank class in the game then by all means join me and we can figure it out lol but otherwise i would recomend against it

unless you want a hard path of trying to figure out a spec to simply keep up with other tanks in end game pvp then i wouldnt roll a vanguard tank. if u like the challenge of being a good tank on the worst tank class in the game then by all means join me and we can figure it out lol but otherwise i would recomend against it

I dont see a Vanguard PvP Tank being worse then the other 2 tanks... I see different strengths, thats a completely different thing.

Since 2.0 hit.. Vanguard Tanks ( In PvP ) are quite capable to pull there own weight. Atleast thats my experience as one.

I dont see a Vanguard PvP Tank being worse then the other 2 tanks... I see different strengths, thats a completely different thing.

Since 2.0 hit.. Vanguard Tanks ( In PvP ) are quite capable to pull there own weight. Atleast thats my experience as one.

The key two words in my statement was end game. By this I mean rated pvp where people actually work together and actually know how to play there class well. Any decent team will have at least 2 smashers which hit for 7-10k each smash which is almost completely unmitigatable ( not going into specifics because I have in other posts). So the only real mitigation we got for it is our single shield CD compaired to other classes cd's .

And BTW shadows get a pull as well along within other utility.

Normal PvP u can hold your own as a tank if u set yourself up right but even then a lot of our defended ( defence and shield chance) are negated by factors that the hardest hitting abilities typically have which is either they are fore and tech attacks or they are crits. ( if your lost and don't understand what I'm referencing the go look at the combat rolling system and game mechanics

The key two words in my statement was end game. By this I mean rated pvp where people actually work together and actually know how to play there class well. Any decent team will have at least 2 smashers which hit for 7-10k each smash which is almost completely unmitigatable ( not going into specifics because I have in other posts). So the only real mitigation we got for it is our single shield CD compaired to other classes cd's .

And BTW shadows get a pull as well along within other utility.

Normal PvP u can hold your own as a tank if u set yourself up right but even then a lot of our defended ( defence and shield chance) are negated by factors that the hardest hitting abilities typically have which is either they are fore and tech attacks or they are crits. ( if your lost and don't understand what I'm referencing the go look at the combat rolling system and game mechanics

Lets pretend i do know PvP in all its facets ( including ranked and its workings ) Lets pretend i do know how the defense mechanics work in SWTOR. And the different class abilities...

Regarding Smash, its quite possible to simply avoid it when you know the opponents class. Not that it works everytime mind you.. but its possible. Cant say ive experienced any smashes above the 6k dmg mark... since pts.

Might be me though.

The good thing about the Vanguard tank, is that you dont need to be in melee - keep your range. Abuse the s*** out of you slow's - ion cell, explosive surge ( skilled ) , the new & improved riot gas works wonders aswell with its 70% slow for 15secs + 30% less melee & ranged accuracy for the imps.

Hold the line? Abuse it.. keep the distance - its a godsend for a vanguard tank.

Adrenaline rush ( skilled ) Life saver.. If you avoid the non mitigated smashes you got almost 8 seconds of more or less immortality - pop a wz adrenal or the Reactive shield, perhaps even both if hit hard.

Storm & Harpoon combo makes you a ball carriers nightmare in Huttball.

Defending a node, door etc.. Shoulder cannon can be used while CC'ed.. its perfect. And in a full fledged shield spec - it heals you aswell. You can even add a little minor burst when interupting the enemy healer by firing off ion pulse & Shoulder missiles at the same time.

Once again, i dont see a worse tank in 2.0 - i see different strengths & weaknesses.

If its actually true or not, well thats not for me to say - i do not feel inferior to other class tanks. And im having a blast as a Vanguard Tank. So to the author of the thread : Knock yourself out, play the one you enjoy the most. As a lvl 13 however you dont got much to play around with - you already got some good advice from Quantemoq.

Lets pretend i do know PvP in all its facets ( including ranked and its workings ) Lets pretend i do know how the defense mechanics work in SWTOR. And the different class abilities...

Regarding Smash, its quite possible to simply avoid it when you know the opponents class. Not that it works everytime mind you.. but its possible. Cant say ive experienced any smashes above the 6k dmg mark... since pts.

Might be me though.

The good thing about the Vanguard tank, is that you dont need to be in melee - keep your range. Abuse the s*** out of you slow's - ion cell, explosive surge ( skilled ) , the new & improved riot gas works wonders aswell with its 70% slow for 15secs + 30% less melee & ranged accuracy for the imps.

Hold the line? Abuse it.. keep the distance - its a godsend for a vanguard tank.

Adrenaline rush ( skilled ) Life saver.. If you avoid the non mitigated smashes you got almost 8 seconds of more or less immortality - pop a wz adrenal or the Reactive shield, perhaps even both if hit hard.

Storm & Harpoon combo makes you a ball carriers nightmare in Huttball.

Defending a node, door etc.. Shoulder cannon can be used while CC'ed.. its perfect. And in a full fledged shield spec - it heals you aswell. You can even add a little minor burst when interupting the enemy healer by firing off ion pulse & Shoulder missiles at the same time.

Once again, i dont see a worse tank in 2.0 - i see different strengths & weaknesses.

If its actually true or not, well thats not for me to say - i do not feel inferior to other class tanks. And im having a blast as a Vanguard Tank. So to the author of the thread : Knock yourself out, play the one you enjoy the most. As a lvl 13 however you dont got much to play around with - you already got some good advice from Quantemoq.

lets first get this out of the way about smashers... if you havent seen anything above 6k smashes that your either playing on a pve/RP server or the people you are playing with are just terrible at their class. secondly other tanks like juggs/guardians have amazing slows as well however most that dont know how to play their class dont really use them enough so a well played jugg or guardian negates your own snares. secondly smash isnt the only hard hitting attack they have lol. One example is force scream which hits like a truck since its force it doesnt get checked by defence chance which leaves only shield chance which is negated my crits which as a dpser happen somewhat often.

As far as our shield CD juggs have 2 shields (one decreasing all damage by 40%) along with thier other panic buttons VG has shield and then oil slick plus adrenaline rush which is negated if u are around any decent aoe or anyone at all is targeting you (that is halfway compotent)... i say this becasue at 30% is when all the finishing moves are availible which im sure i dont have to tell u hit like a *********** freight train.

i agree that VG has certain things its good at and i have said that before but sometimes people with little brains get all flustered and start to get tunnel vision so i understand your arguments in that sense.

The fact of the matter and this can be confirmed by other posts from others as well that the other tank classes have better CD's than VG and more of them. also VG is supposedly the best passive mitigation tank out their which i agree that it is very good in that sense and thant is what makes it an amazing PVE tank however just look at the jugg/guard tank tree and you will see that VG is surpassed by all of their passive mitigation from their tree.

now to look at the assassin/shadow tank tree. the shadow is a little bit of a different type of tank in how it plays but again even in the tank tree itself we can see that it beats out the VG tree by a pretty significant amount. plus they get some interesting percs as well including being able to stealth and their normal CD's or panic buttons.

again VG tank has a place in the game but adding up the strengths of the dpsers and tanks in this game we can pretty obviously see that it does have some sort of step down from at least the other tanks in the game and if you deny this fact then their is no point in continueing this conversation becasue you must obviously not look at hard facts. argueing out of simple emotion and only from the view of your one specific standpoint is a terrible form of forming arguements. Now i hope i dont have to explain to you what makes up a good argument but looking at one side of things (looking only from the VG side of things) is one of the basics of how to create flawed arguments.

Edited by Is-ith

lets first get this out of the way about smashers... if you havent seen anything above 6k smashes that your either playing on a pve/RP server or the people you are playing with are just terrible at their class. secondly other tanks like juggs/guardians have amazing slows as well however most that dont know how to play their class dont really use them enough so a well played jugg or guardian negates your own snares. secondly smash isnt the only hard hitting attack they have lol. One example is force scream which hits like a truck since its force it doesnt get checked by defence chance which leaves only shield chance which is negated my crits which as a dpser happen somewhat often.

As far as our shield CD juggs have 2 shields (one decreasing all damage by 40%) along with thier other panic buttons VG has shield and then oil slick plus adrenaline rush which is negated if u are around any decent aoe or anyone at all is targeting you (that is halfway compotent)... i say this becasue at 30% is when all the finishing moves are availible which im sure i dont have to tell u hit like a *********** freight train.

i agree that VG has certain things its good at and i have said that before but sometimes people with little brains get all flustered and start to get tunnel vision so i understand your arguments in that sense.

The fact of the matter and this can be confirmed by other posts from others as well that the other tank classes have better CD's than VG and more of them. also VG is supposedly the best passive mitigation tank out their which i agree that it is very good in that sense and thant is what makes it an amazing PVE tank however just look at the jugg/guard tank tree and you will see that VG is surpassed by all of their passive mitigation from their tree.

now to look at the assassin/shadow tank tree. the shadow is a little bit of a different type of tank in how it plays but again even in the tank tree itself we can see that it beats out the VG tree by a pretty significant amount. plus they get some interesting percs as well including being able to stealth and their normal CD's or panic buttons.

again VG tank has a place in the game but adding up the strengths of the dpsers and tanks in this game we can pretty obviously see that it does have some sort of step down from at least the other tanks in the game and if you deny this fact then their is no point in continueing this conversation becasue you must obviously not look at hard facts. argueing out of simple emotion and only from the view of your one specific standpoint is a terrible form of forming arguements. Now i hope i dont have to explain to you what makes up a good argument but looking at one side of things (looking only from the VG side of things) is one of the basics of how to create flawed arguments.

Condescending & snide comments, just itches me the wrong way... So ill make this very short :

I was simply sharing my experience with the Vanguard as a tank, Ive played a Shadow tank in PvP aswell so i do have some insight to the pros and cons between those two very different classes.

And my experience tells me that a vanguard tank is quite equal to the other tanks in PvP 2.0.

( Sure as s*** wasnt before )

Regardless this debate is going nowhere, so lets agree to disagree.