Expansion Idea!!

DarthTellos

So while watching a full marathon of the Star Wars movies from start to finish I had an idea for a new planet and mechanic/activity in the game. It was during Episode 2 that I decided going to Geonosis would be an absolute blast, make it a huge warzone(not meaning PvP just a word for reference) AND (yes referencing to the clone wars). Ive always liked the idea of more quests zones with full scale Rep Vs Emp War going on not the hey we are facing this random enemy and the republic/Empire just happen to be here too. Now the new activity part I thought of would have to do with the Geonosis style arena. It could be either a solo or group event, so basically you talk to an npc to get it started and you enter the arena, you then proceed to face wave after wave of enemies taken from all corners of the galaxy that we have fought before (lvl appropriate of course). The more waves you survive the greater your rewards would be!! well lemme know what you think and if you would endorse this idea, I for one thing it would bring a very fun and free time consuming end game event, that could even be updated with every expansion that increases lvl. :) Note this is just one of many things that could be on both this new planet and in a large expansion. Edited by DarthTellos

Two remarks:

1. A whole expansion catering only to PvPers sounds like a waste of time to me. If you want whole planets to fight on, just play on PvP servers and you got it.

2. Not sure if I understood it correctly, but "the more waves you survive, the higher the reward" seems to imply, that you will eventually be defeated, something that is in my opinion the total opposite of being desireable and heroic. I do not want to start any encounter, if I know that I got not the slightest chance to beat it. MMOs are no arcade shooter, where there is always just another wave.

Two remarks:

1. A whole expansion catering only to PvPers sounds like a waste of time to me. If you want whole planets to fight on, just play on PvP servers and you got it.

2. Not sure if I understood it correctly, but "the more waves you survive, the higher the reward" seems to imply, that you will eventually be defeated, something that is in my opinion the total opposite of being desireable and heroic. I do not want to start any encounter, if I know that I got not the slightest chance to beat it. MMOs are no arcade shooter, where there is always just another wave.

1. I don't believe I said anywhere PvP, but more the feeling of a full scale world battle, not the guerrilla war tactics we have been using,

2. I don't necessarily mean more waves with no end, There should be an end, and at the end you could get like new gear and stuff at the appropriate lvl, but it shouldn't be like a flashpoint where any group can beat it, It should take both skill and gear to actually beat it. Yes your going to die, A LOT, but that just gives more drive to build your character, my idea is simply a fun side thing for people to do, maybe for people who don't like to do dailies, they can earn coms and stuff (maybe not as much at a time as dailies) but still something whether you win or lose.

3. This idea is something that veers away from standard MMO gameplay yes, but in my opinion that's a good thing, we don't need this game becoming anymore like WoW than it already is.

1. I don't believe I said anywhere PvP, but more the feeling of a full scale world battle, not the guerrilla war tactics we have been using,

Then what do you mean by "Rep vs. Imp?" Two areas of said planet, one with Empire characters fighting Republic NPC enemies and the other with Republic characters fighting Empire NPC enemies? That's nothing different from what happens now, other than simply on a larger scale. How is that in any way innovative?

2. I don't necessarily mean more waves with no end, There should be an end, and at the end you could get like new gear and stuff at the appropriate lvl, but it shouldn't be like a flashpoint where any group can beat it, It should take both skill and gear to actually beat it. Yes your going to die, A LOT, but that just gives more drive to build your character, my idea is simply a fun side thing for people to do, maybe for people who don't like to do dailies, they can earn coms and stuff (maybe not as much at a time as dailies) but still something whether you win or lose.

So what you envision is essentially a big, giant open-world Flashpoint. And you think making an entire world dedicated to "simply a fun side thing to do" is a good use of BWEA's development resources?

3. This idea is something that veers away from standard MMO gameplay yes, but in my opinion that's a good thing, we don't need this game becoming anymore like WoW than it already is.

The only veering your idea does is towards larger encounters. Again, hardly innovative. Just "Hey, guys, take this thing, put more bad guys in it and call it new."

Edited by branmakmuffin

Then what do you mean by "Rep vs. Imp?" Two areas of said planet, one with Empire characters fighting Republic NPC enemies and the other with Republic characters fighting Empire NPC enemies? That's nothing different from what happens now, other than simply on a larger scale. How is that in any way innovative?

So what you envision is essentially a big, giant open-world Flashpoint. And you think making an entire world dedicated to "simply a fun side thing to do" is a good use of BWEA's development resources?

The only veering your idea does is towards larger encounters. Again, hardly innovative. Just "Hey, guys, take this thing, put more bad guys in it and call it new."

The Idea was simply to have more of a direct war feeling instead of the hey its the republic lets get them, while we are fighting someone else. I have said nowhere anything about pvp however a planet that offers both PVE zones and open PvP would be pretty sweet as well.

And no I don't envision a large open world flashpoint as a "side thing" I simply have stated an Idea for a new planet and something cool that planet could have on it.

I believe there is plenty of Innovation in this idea because its just one thing that could open up into something larger, Im not talking about a single planet expansion here, im talking about a small part of something large, like 1 planet idea amongst a multi planet multi act expansion.

• 2 weeks later...
So while watching a full marathon of the Star Wars movies from start to finish I had an idea for a new planet and mechanic/activity in the game. It was during Episode 2 that I decided going to Geonosis would be an absolute blast, make it a huge warzone(not meaning PvP just a word for reference) AND (yes referencing to the clone wars). Ive always liked the idea of more quests zones with full scale Rep Vs Emp War going on not the hey we are facing this random enemy and the republic/Empire just happen to be here too. Now the new activity part I thought of would have to do with the Geonosis style arena. It could be either a solo or group event, so basically you talk to an npc to get it started and you enter the arena, you then proceed to face wave after wave of enemies taken from all corners of the galaxy that we have fought before (lvl appropriate of course). The more waves you survive the greater your rewards would be!! well lemme know what you think and if you would endorse this idea, I for one thing it would bring a very fun and free time consuming end game event, that could even be updated with every expansion that increases lvl. :) Note this is just one of many things that could be on both this new planet and in a large expansion.

You can not reference clone wars 3000 years before it happens. Also since it would be in the past, all the cultural icons would be different, there might not be an arena, they might have more equality between the castes.

The survive as long as you can thing has been done in other games, while it's fun once or twice, it soon gets boring, and EA is not going to programme a new planet just for people to play it a few times.

You can not reference clone wars 3000 years before it happens. Also since it would be in the past, all the cultural icons would be different, there might not be an arena, they might have more equality between the castes.

The survive as long as you can thing has been done in other games, while it's fun once or twice, it soon gets boring, and EA is not going to programme a new planet just for people to play it a few times.

Im sorry but there are A LOT of references to things that happen later on in the star wars saga, hell on the sith fleet there is a sith lord that resebmes darth vader talking to a group of bounty hunters just like in Empire Strikes back. And there would be an aerna, it was geonosis where the "New Mandalore" appeared to rally the mandolorians for the Mandolorian war and he became mandalore within an arena Colosseum that was on Geonosis, so Lore wise my idea fits, Gamplay wise I simply put down ONE ill say it again ONE!! idea for something to be added to the game for a little added fun, of course I would want loads of other content, this is simply one idea that would be part of a large expansion and the whole thing could have something to do with remnants of the Mandalorian war so it keeps with the lore.

It sounds like a great idea for some new content. There is a couple of problems to overcome though.

1) the performance of the engine drops dramatically when there is a lot of NPC animation effects going on. So there won't be any epic trench battles going on with hoards of blaster fire in the air.

2) I'm not sure there's enough concept there to carry a whole planet - but this could make a very interesting area similar to Section X.

The arena idea is pretty interesting. I can imagine a instanced arena that can be entered solo, by small groups, and by ops groups. It might be difficult for them to implement too many different types of mobs. But they could implement a boss like DreadTooth with a stacking buff that grows each time it is killed.

Here's how they could make it automatically adjust to different sizes of groups

1) They give the boss an AOE ability with a huge radius.

2) it applies a debuff similar to force siphon ~ to every player in the instance

3) the boss receives healing, armor, and health regen from each player.

~in this fashion the same boss adapts to the number of player oponents. The healing, armor, and health bonuses it receives have their values set so that the boss is easiest to defeat with large ops groups. And the best rewards would still require raiding parties to build large stacks of it's "died recently" buff. The advantage of going solo against this boss is that there wouldn't be any loot roles for the drops that come when the boss is killed with a small stack of it's "died recently" buff.

They could add a rep & vender to the zone.

And they could dress up the same arena as a matching WZ for the PvP crowd.