"Master CraftsMan" Legacy_Title needs a Gender Neutral change...

Vil-lynne

So this was an interesting read. As a female gamer, have to be honest, the only time I thought a gender switch for titles was in order was on my Sith Inquisitor - I wanted to be "Lady" and not "Lord." As to the title Craftsman... I really don't mind. Artisan is okay but a tad weak sounding. I'd fervently protest "Craftswoman" (really??? rubbish like this gives "political correctness" a bad name). The most intelligent comment I saw was, if you don't like the title - don't use it!

Life's too short to be defined by titles ladies.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raging against words like craftsman seem to me pretty much like straw feminism. I think the word is fine and gender neutral, there are far more important gender issues in the world than this unissue here (which could be viewed as misandry for it creates the feeling that having a word that conains man is somehow a bad thing).

Please change the sexist and outdated Legacy Title "Master CraftsMan" to a Gender Neutral alternative (such as: Master Crafter, Artisan, Craftsperson, etc.) as traipsing around with CraftsMan above my head just doesn't really feel like the reward it was meant to be. I do realize some Craftsmenz will object almost reflexively due to "PC" backlash; however, if Bioware would simply consult academic modern writing guides before using potentially questionable labels, then they would have likely used "Master Crafter/Artisan", and this suggestion would be moot. Please search the net for "craftsman gender neutral" if corroboration is needed.

Although this suggestion is pointed and easily resolved by renaming the title to "Master Crafter/Artisan", this thread will inevitably veer off into an ocean of tears where many will jump at the opportunity to vent their frustrations regarding political correctness in general (which really has gone way too far; I totally empathize). I ask, in vein, that we please stay focused [on the current tears ;) of many females enduring a title above their head that reads "Master Craftsman":(].

Thank you.

[edit: felicitous persuasion(s) from my posts below]: Let us not forget to list examples of past job title changes due, at least in part, to the usual fragile male ego (I haven't the time to search for a proper list of valid examples for you, but I'll start us off anyway): babysitter -> xboxsitter, milkmaid -> udder engineer, ...

Lawls wait til u get a son, he will tell u there are "Jobs" that are female only and u will go off on h==im for the gender bias? Come on Craftsman is the right term for a trades person look at one of the biggest tools company of all times Craftmans will u write them to change their name to be more gender neutral whore?

I wonder how many of the people who don't see anything wrong with it are men? This kind of thing gets annoying.

And for those saying it's the same as hu-MAN and wo-MAN... um, yeah, those are also signs of patriarchy, like the Adam and Eve story where Eve was only created as a companion for man.

If you're a guy, that probably seems fine and you probably don't care that male terms are used for everything, you probably don't even notice.

But actually, it's pretty annoying. Like how in laws or contracts no one can be bothered to write he/she, so they just throw in a clause that "he" means he/she. No it doesn't.

I'll bet you'd notice if we started using female terms for everything.

If it's not a big deal, let's change it to Craftswoman or Craftsgirl and see if you like that.

OP, I hear you. It's you and me, sister!

I wonder how many of the people who don't see anything wrong with it are men? This kind of thing gets annoying.

And for those saying it's the same as hu-MAN and wo-MAN... um, yeah, those are also signs of patriarchy, like the Adam and Eve story where Eve was only created as a companion for man.

If you're a guy, that probably seems fine and you probably don't care that male terms are used for everything, you probably don't even notice.

But actually, it's pretty annoying. Like how in laws or contracts no one can be bothered to write he/she, so they just throw in a clause that "he" means he/she. No it doesn't.

If it's not a big deal, let's change it to Craftswoman or Craftsgirl and see if you like that.

Great, now you have crossed the line completly to straw feminism. I think your post is misandrist and is in not helping to get any gender equality. There is no such thing as a patriarchal conspiracy that created language to be misogynic, language is something that developed with both genders having influence on it, lke on so many other things in society. Always blaming men is not going to make it any better, actually I think it only hurts on reaching gender equality, so maybe you should stop wasting your time with hating men, since they are not the bad guys.

One don't have to be male to think that this here is a non-issue, suggesting so is sexist, because it assumes that it only happens to oppress women, which is a paranoid world view... like the rest of the patriarch theory world view quite a few feminists have. I for my part see that genders had different gender roles in the past, but not to oppress on gender and that equality is not achieved by saying men are evil or such nonsence... sadly men are treated often enough like that today and the feminsist to see that they have already won and are currently just beating on a foe who is already on the floor.

Uh...no...it doesn't need a change.

You realize female=wo'man' right? Thus it already IS gender nuetral.

You want to claim issues with gender role linked names/titles, you realize "master" is a male term right? The female term for the same rank is "mistress". Think about that every single time you see a female jedi....they have no problem having the title of a male, why should you?

Want the reverse? Originally, acolyte was a female term (all sith warriors get this title) while apprentice is the male term (all inquisitors get this title).

I'm not making this stuff up, look up the history of our language. You will find feminine terms tagged on men all over the place and we hardly care about it, it is not a big deal...so why are women all up in arms about naturally nuetral terms that are just placed upon professions that have historically been male?

By the way...one of the most covetted titles of men with guns is "sniper"...and originally ment "female assassin". Think on that a bit.

so just because ur a women it gives u the right to dress like a **** and risk damaging a colleges marriage because u can't figure out that sleeping ur way to the top is wrong?

so just because ur a women it gives u the right to dress like a **** and risk damaging a colleges marriage because u can't figure out that sleeping ur way to the top is wrong?

You attacked me as female gamer in a different thread and now this, having trouble getting a girlfrind and attacking because of that women, aren't you?

You attacked me as female gamer in a different thread and now this, having trouble getting a girlfrind and attacking because of that women, aren't you?

No just look around women just are the worst and sexiest just look in the mirror ***** ur the ones sexiest here.

No just look around women just are the worst and sexiest just look in the mirror ***** ur the ones sexiest here.

Maybe you should also take a look into a mirror, since you are making also claims regarding everyone of one gender... what is the base for sexism. Oh, and just because women don't like you it doesn't mean women hate all men, it's just you they don't like, maybe because of your sexism.

Maybe you should also take a look into a mirror, since you are making also claims regarding everyone of one gender... what is the base for sexism. Oh, and just because women don't like you it doesn't mean women hate all men, it's just you they don't like, maybe because of your sexism.

Let's go back to Adam and Eve, the apple shows that all women are ***** and thus ruin pradice for men.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.