The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield Tech 2.0 Rotation

malakiavelic

It is more of a priority system. You want to maximize Heat Screen stacks, because it stacks 1% Absorb per stack (up to 3) and 3 stacks are required to use Heat Blast. Every time you proc one (even if you are already at 3 stacks), it also lowers the CD on Heat Blast by 1 second.

Use Heat Blast (off the GCD) whenever it is available, unless you want to save the 6 sec 25% Absorb effect for something specific like a big hit coming in the next 7-15 seconds.

Use Rocket Punch whenever it is up. It does good threat and generates an IGC proc. The cooldown will reset often when you Shield an attack, so pay attention to when it is up.

Use Rail Shot on CD. It does good threat and generates an IGC proc.

Keep the 5% damage debuff up at all times by using Flame Burst or Flame Sweep on enemies at least once every 15 seconds.

If Rocket Punch and Rail Shot are both on CD, fill with damaging or free abilities. Try to stay close to 40/100 Heat, since when you are under 40 Heat you are venting Heat at the maximum rate.

Flamethrower: If Flame Engine procs, a sped-up and free Flamethrower is great for damage and threat

Jet Charge / Flame Sweep: If the boss is stationary, working in Jet Charge and two free Flame Sweeps is an effective way to spend 3 GCDs and generate no heat.

Flame Burst: If at low Heat, Flame Burst does good damage and threat.

Rapid Shots: This is your basic attack. You generally use it only as a last resort, because of its weak damage/threat, but (unlike the above Fire-based abilities) it has a 15% chance to proc an IGC effect (which gives a Heat Screen stack). If you want to maximize uptime on Heat Blast at the expense of damage/threat, spamming extra Rapid Shots will net you more Heat Screens.

well first u need to read your skill tree, if you read the tree and play with it a bit you can figure it out, it is fairly simple honestly

If it is so simple then why not answer the guys question :rolleyes:

My current rotation is ...

Jet Charge -- Flamesweep x2 --> Rock Punch --> Unload (or Flamethrower) --> Rail Shot --> Flame Burst (or Heat Blast)

I use Heat Blast when its available, Flamethrower when Flame Engine Procs, and Flame Burst as a filler when everything is on Cool Down

I should also add in that on occasion

On Groups

Open with Death From Above

I sometimes toss in Carbonize when I'm in the middle of group to allow my group to toss down AoEs or allow a healer a chance to get a spell off when I'm taking serious damage

Nail a mob with Explosive Dart and another with Stun Dart

Vs Op Bosses

Open with Grapple to build agro

I'm thinking of fine tuning my rotation a bit, not sure how yet though.

Any advice is much appreciated.

~Xim

No such thing as a rotation for tanks. It's all about priority. You have skills that buff your armor, defense, shield, whatnot, those are to be on cooldown constantly, or saved for big attacks from the boss. (I.E. Sunder's The End).

And like was mentioned before, read your skilltree.

Not many classes in this game use a "rotation" more of priority type stuff, chances to proc, buffs and or cooldown refreshers.

You can remove unload from your toolbar, its pretty much useless. Interrupts on damage, has pretty low damage (comparable to flamethrower) and requires you to be stationary for 3 seconds. Tanks should avoid it.