The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Count Dooku and General Grievous Trade Places

Donavic

I've been rewatching all the movies and it strikes me that General Grievous is not a particularly compelling character, or rather serves no narrative purpose. So I was thinking what if him and Count Dooku switched their roles in Revenge of the Sith.

General Grievous jumps in to kill Palpatine, boast how he was trained by Count Dooku and pulls out the lightsabers of the Jedi he killed. Then him, Anakin and Obi-Wan fight, Anakin kills Grievous and Count Dooku escapes. Mace Windu brings up how the war won't end as long as Count Dooku is alive so they send Obi-Wan in for the final confrontation.

Count Dooku is defeated by Obi-Wan and reveals why he was doing what he was doing and that Palpatine is Darth Sidious. Obi-Wan tells the Jedi Council and they try to arrest Palpatine then Anakin gets word of what's going on and heads to Palpatine's office.

This leaves Obi-Wan and Darth Vader on equal ground for the Mustafar fight and makes Anakin actions more consistent while giving Dooku the send off he deserves. What do you guys think?

Edited by Donavic

Why would Obi-Wan believe Dooku, when he didn't believe him the 1st time? Though I don't think that Dooku would say anything to Obi-Wan, why would he? But meh...it just doesn't seem right for Obi-Wan to kill Dooku when Dooku was the one that scarred Anakin, taunted him and all that. Not to mention, trading places wouldn't work because Palps wanted Dooku to fight Anakin again and have Anakin delve deeper towards the darkside. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Good point, but Dooku never really gave specifics that time. Also it could have been written so that Palpatine still used Dooku and the Count realized that thus betraying Sidious also if he did realize that he would have known he was a pawn from the beginning and may have been redeemed.

Also show that Obi-Wan isn't a pushover by taking out Dooku, and Palpatine shouldn't always get his way.

Edited by Donavic

There is a problem with this and that's the importance of the duel between Anakin and Dooku.

It was a test. Sidious may very well have orchestrated the confrontation much like he did on Naboo. He had always intended Dooku to be a placeholder for Anakin and had outlived his usefulness. By killing Dooku Anakin proved himself worthy of becoming Sidious' apprentice and furthered his path towards the dark side while Sidious slowly began to lower the facade of 'Palpatine'.

So overall I think the battle is rather important and quite symbolic.

Not that what your suggesting would give Dooku much more screen time as neither Dooku nor Grievous play a significant part in RoTS. Nor would it really be far for Grievous would would appear on screen for a full five minutes before dying twenty minutes into the film...

What's more if Obi Wan told the Jedi Council about Sidious then that whole meeting between Anakin and Sidious would never have happened, were he revealed himself and openly tempted him to the dark side - which was kind of a follow up to the duel on the Invisible Hand and the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise. I fear it would have left the audience confused as to how Anakin fell to the dark side so easily.

I've been rewatching all the movies and it strikes me that General Grievous is not a particularly compelling character, or rather serves no narrative purpose. So I was thinking what if him and Count Dooku switched their roles in Revenge of the Sith.

General Grievous jumps in to kill Palpatine, boast how he was trained by Count Dooku and pulls out the lightsabers of the Jedi he killed. Then him, Anakin and Obi-Wan fight, Anakin kills Grievous and Count Dooku escapes. Mace Windu brings up how the war won't end as long as Count Dooku is alive so they send Obi-Wan in for the final confrontation.

Count Dooku is defeated by Obi-Wan and reveals why he was doing what he was doing and that Palpatine is Darth Sidious. Obi-Wan tells the Jedi Council and they try to arrest Palpatine then Anakin gets word of what's going on and heads to Palpatine's office.

This leaves Obi-Wan and Darth Vader on equal ground for the Mustafar fight and makes Anakin actions more consistent while giving Dooku the send off he deserves. What do you guys think?

Dooku always destroys obi wan