The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT hybrid for PvE DPS

BoboHut

I remember hearing a lot about this on the pts and I know it was nerfed before release, but I am still hearing how viable it is. I've also run into some interesting things while trying to gather information on this spec, such as the combat dummies rankings on torhead showing some of the top parses of all classes as PT's using this build.

Problem is I don't know what this build is. I've run across a few things that might be it, like this skill tree using CGS, but no information as to rotations, specs or anything else. A search through these forums for "PT hybrid" gives results from back in early March, so not much help there either as well as the closed PTS forums where most of the info was before.

Anyways, if anyone using this build successfully would be willing to share, I would very much appreciate it.

I'm intrigued by this spec, how much of a dps gain/loss is there compared to a full pyro spec in PVE? Does this spec have a nickname so I can search the forums for more info?

I'm still using the old 2 button spec. Probably not the best, but I get to be lazy and viable. Got 2397 on 8m HM Styrak last night. I haven't uploaded my log though. I'll see if I can remember what gear I am running and post that.

Spec: http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/16/?build=003200300000000000000000000000000223120000000000000000000000000003200322021002120230003000000000&ver=20

Priority, keep heat low, spam rail shot and flame burst. I chucked an incendiary missile on once at sub 30%, but that was about it.

Edit: Gear - http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/097cce6a-3e89-4773-8728-d681559b0689. I use one of the new re-usable stims though so the fully buffed stats are out. I think it is 3191 aim and 1296 power.

Edited by Raekor

I'm still using the old 2 button spec. Probably not the best, but I get to be lazy and viable. Got 2397 on 8m HM Styrak last night. I haven't uploaded my log though. I'll see if I can remember what gear I am running and post that.

Spec: http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/16/?build=003200300000000000000000000000000223120000000000000000000000000003200322021002120230003000000000&ver=20

Priority, keep heat low, spam rail shot and flame burst. I chucked an incendiary missile on once at sub 30%, but that was about it.

Edit: Gear - http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/097cce6a-3e89-4773-8728-d681559b0689. I use one of the new re-usable stims though so the fully buffed stats are out. I think it is 3191 aim and 1296 power.

Thanks for sharing your spec and gear, I'm excited to give this a shot as I've been disappointed with going all the way up to thermal detonator. I have two suggested tweaks. In the pyrotech tree I exchanged 2 points in sweltering heat for 2 points in infared sensors. My reasoning is there isn't much of a point for slowing your target in PVE and extra the defense will mitigate some incoming damage. My other change was to remove 2 points from power armor in the Adv. Prototype tree and add 2 points in combust in the shield tech tree. I figured 5% less damage from the boss > 2% less damage to me. What do you think?

Hi guys, I'm using that hybrid dps build too:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...robRMZfG0rzo.3

I still don't know if It's better than a full pyrotech or advanced prototype, but It's really effective.

What will it be the proper rotation for you?

Right know I'm using:

1-Flame burst

2-Incendiary missle

3-Retractable blade

4-Rail shot

5-Rocket punch

6-Flame thrower (with 3 stacks of prototype flame thrower)

with full 72's im bursting at 3.2kdps and sustaining 2.1k dps as pyro spec i posted and thats single target in aoe im bursting 4kdps-6kdps cause combustible ticks on flame sweep and talent to increase damage done to targets on fire. very mobile

in the hybrid spec i posted its not bursting at all but i am sustaining 2.2-2.3k dps single target and about as aoe friendly as a rock. not very mobile

in full ap did not test a maxed out rotation for AoE how ever i was only capable of achieving 1.9k dps single target and i think that maybe caused by my pve set bonus increasing rail shot damage and not helping rocket punch. 50/50 mobile long as retractable blades applied

best talent ever flame sweep applies combustible gas cylinder

Edited by Trancedzero

i keep telling everyone only use IM during offensive buff proc's and you wont lose damage and have MUCH easier to manage heat, IM does so little damage unless buffed by damage boosting so during offensive cool downs pop IM at the start after your first rail rock punch right before offensives cool down use it again. always keep IM applied on a boss during last 30% of life as pyro. if no one wants to beleive me about this thats cool ill continue doing 2.2k dps on my own.

i keep telling everyone only use IM during offensive buff proc's and you wont lose damage and have MUCH easier to manage heat, IM does so little damage unless buffed by damage boosting so during offensive cool downs pop IM at the start after your first rail rock punch right before offensives cool down use it again. always keep IM applied on a boss during last 30% of life as pyro. if no one wants to beleive me about this thats cool ill continue doing 2.2k dps on my own.

I guess the next question then is how did you set up your UI? When I'm staring at the little icons above my character's health bar to know when something procs I tend to miss other important things about the fight which leads me to take unnecessary damage. How do you avoid this vicious cycle?

I guess the next question then is how did you set up your UI? When I'm staring at the little icons above my character's health bar to know when something procs I tend to miss other important things about the fight which leads me to take unnecessary damage. How do you avoid this vicious cycle?

As I said I pretty much only use it when I use my on use damage buffs (relic, adrenal, CF). If you notice your relic of SA proc go ahead and fire of IM, but if not it doesn't matter that much. To me raid awareness is more important as long as I am doing enough.

In my original post I also forgot to say I use the shoulder cannon. Couple that with your on use cool downs, does heaps of damage.

2.4K on Styrak isn't dead. Sure it's not the 2.6K sniper's/marauder's/jugg's are getting, but it is more than enough for current content. Better than I'm doing on my merc, which isn't helped by the fact that using unload activates the GCD and the animation but doesn't actually go off for me.

I probably should get gear for my sniper and see what I can do, but whilst leveling I didn't like it.

2.4K on Styrak isn't dead. Sure it's not the 2.6K sniper's/marauder's/jugg's are getting, but it is more than enough for current content. Better than I'm doing on my merc, which isn't helped by the fact that using unload activates the GCD and the animation but doesn't actually go off for me.

I probably should get gear for my sniper and see what I can do, but whilst leveling I didn't like it.

I'd like to see the torparse upload rather than just claims.

Did you get nightmared at all? If not that can boost your dps by a lot.

Also, the Styrak fight includes a lot of weaker mobs, i.e. his illusions, his kel dragon second time, what numbers were the other people in your group doing? I'd bet higher than you still.

Maybe make a claim from a fight like Dash'roode, or Titan 6 that involves a normal amount of adds and relevant movement.

Edited by I_Sithed_MyPants

In my experience, before 2.0 powertech dps was on par with sniper and marauders, now after 2.0 pve wise atleast there is a huge noticeable gap between snipers / marauders and "the rest" in terms of dps.

There are obvious balance issues, but they won't be addressed for a long time, basically the way bioware see's it:

If your class can tank, it should tank.

If your class can heal, it should heal.

If your class can only dps, they should dps and be way better than the others at it.

Also, one of my main points is, why should a PT dps be taken to an operation over either a Sniper or a Marauder, they provide absolutely no utility apart from a dps taunt, which usually isnt a good idea.

Sniper: Aoe raid shield, great aoe dps, great single target dps, roll for manoeuvrability and escape adds (dashroode especially).

Marauder: Bloodthirst, Predation, Undying Rage, great single target dps, great defensive cooldowns.

Powertech: Weaker single target dps, weaker aoe dps, great defensive cooldowns...erm, that's it.....oh, they can taunt and grapple, not really useful during operation bosses. (excluding the now irrelevant one in EC).

Edited by I_Sithed_MyPants

The hybrid spec is actually pretty awesome in PVE. The problem is managing heat and 3 dots as well as Proto Flamethrower and PPA. If you can keep full dot uptime and use triple stacked flamethrowers on cooldown you'll be not only competing with Snipers and Mara's but also putting them to shame. That said though it takes a lot of practise and without the UI mods games like WoW has it becomes easily the hardest spec/class to play properly.

The "good" PT players can still hit big numbers in raids it just gone from 3 button dps to 6.

I will agree though that the burst has completely gone from the PT class as it now takes me twice as long to kill the Anomalies in the HM Terror from Beyond fight.

Finally, this does affect PVP more since its all about burst and randomly hitting buttons as opposed to trying to sustain high dmg for a long period like PVE.

I just wanted to say thanks guys. I know our PT dps situation doesn't feel all that great right now but isn't good to see that we are willing to work together to try new things. I appreciate the help and can't wait to try the hybrid out.

Still don't know if I'm using the right rotation, heat management is a bit hard, right now I'm using:

1-Death from above

2-Flame burst

3-Incendiary missle

4-Retractable blade

5-Rail shot

6-Rocket punch

7-Flame thrower (with 3 stacks of prototype flame thrower)

The hybrid spec is actually pretty awesome in PVE. The problem is managing heat and 3 dots as well as Proto Flamethrower and PPA.

It's actually a dps increase to not even use Incendiary Missile and only use Retractable Balde & CCG as your dots, I have some logs from my combat dummy if you'd like to see? It makes heat management easier and allows you to spam Flame Burst more. The damage that Incendiary Missile deals is laughable, seriously...it's terrible, not even worth the reduced heat.

If you can keep full dot uptime and use triple stacked flamethrowers on cooldown you'll be not only competing with Snipers and Mara's but also putting them to shame.

Don't give people hope, they're nowhere near mara's or snipers, even sorc and mercs are above most pt dps' atm. Best option is to re roll a Marauder or a Sniper, Bioware LOVES these classes.

I will agree though that the burst has completely gone from the PT class as it now takes me twice as long to kill the Anomalies in the HM Terror from Beyond fight.

I completely agree with this, Rail Shot feels like I'm slapping the Anomalies with a wet towel, the damage is quite laughable.

I completely agree with this, Rail Shot feels like I'm slapping the Anomalies with a wet towel, the damage is quite laughable.

I don't think that is a problem with Rail Shot, I think that is because the Anomalies hps have scaled so much differently to damage output. Their hps has trippled (I think?), our damage has gone up about 50-100% (we have already established my memory is bad, but I could have sworn that with full BiS rail shot average hit was 2.2-2.3K).

If you look at the logs I posted it seems to be getting an average hit of about 4K (minimum that wasn't due to a mistimed shot at the break dancing Kell Dragon of 3K). I didn't have the 8% damage on that either (got that last night yay). I'll set a reminder to upload my logs from tonight's run to see what the extra gear does.

Also to the person who suggested swapping out the 2% personal damage reduction for 5% targeted in the tanking tree I had some discussions with guildy's. That debuff doesn't stack, all tank classes pretty much get it, so we decided it wasn't worth swapping over. The 2% melee and ranged defence in the Pyro tree was pretty much decided that it didn't matter. Can go into either one as there are adds that can be slowed, but neither is very useful in an op.

Saying that, I wish I had of changed it for last night when I was forced to DPS tank Terror for 3 turns. Great healers to keep me up through that.