The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Leia strangling Jabba....(interpretation)

Angedechu

As I was arguing with people on Makeb over Hutts last night, something struck me.

The novelization of the ROTJ stated out plainly that Leia used the Force (wiithout realizing it) to kill Jabba

Was this an attempt to foreshadow Leia's origins ? I mean, strangling people with the Force is kinda the defining chracter trait of her dad....

Edited by Angedechu

Leia strangled Jabba the Hutt with the Force? I never knew that... I thought she just wrapped a chain around his neck and did it the old fashioned way.

The Force can enhance one's physical attributes ya know, so who is to say she didn't use The Force without knowing to help strangle Jabba?...I mean Hutts are rather thick with their fat, and it seems rather unlikely that on her normal strength that Leia would be able to strange a Hutt that large in size.

ROTJ novelization flat out stays that Leia did not thought she had enough strenght to kill Jabba, and that she was surprised to have this energy.
OK, that's interesting. I think however its merely foreshadowing that Leia is Luke's sister, and can therefore use the Force. Rather than some link towards Vader and the dark side.

But I doubt the author had much intention with this, given that he'd expect the reader to have watched the films already and therefore know that Leia is Luke's sister and Vader's son.

OK, that's interesting. I think however its merely foreshadowing that Leia is Luke's sister, and can therefore use the Force. Rather than some link towards Vader and the dark side.

But I doubt the author had much intention with this, given that he'd expect the reader to have watched the films already and therefore know that Leia is Luke's sister and Vader's son.

The OP asked about if it foreshadowed Leia's origins. :p If its foreshadowing that Leia is Luke's sister...then ya, it would be a link to Vader given that Vader is Luke's dad so...ya. But who knows if the author didn't or did? What if someone read the book first, then watched the movie? Given that the book comes out before the movie, there is that chance.

Plus just because someone watches the films first and knows what happens, doesn't mean that in a few of the movies there was foreshadowing.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Huh...i never thought of it like that, and i haven't read the novelization.

It's totally amazing how much you miss out on if you don't read the book that went with the movie.

Like anakin's fight against dooku in episode III. So much more about that fight in the book and it made it WAY better IMO in the book rather than on the big screen.

Huh...i never thought of it like that, and i haven't read the novelization.

It's totally amazing how much you miss out on if you don't read the book that went with the movie.

Like anakin's fight against dooku in episode III. So much more about that fight in the book and it made it WAY better IMO in the book rather than on the big screen.

Movie Books > Movies in terms of explaining and detailing things, its pretty much like that for every movie series that has books that go along with it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I doubt many people were thinking about how strong she'd have to be to strangle him, or how she accomplished it, since at the time she was wearing a bikini with string straps that are so thin her back might as well be bare, and the front was skimpier than (or at least as skimpy as) what most see at a beach. :p

The OP asked about if it foreshadowed Leia's origins. :p If its foreshadowing that Leia is Luke's sister...then ya, it would be a link to Vader given that Vader is Luke's dad so...ya. But who knows if the author didn't or did? What if someone read the book first, then watched the movie? Given that the book comes out before the movie, there is that chance.

Plus just because someone watches the films first and knows what happens, doesn't mean that in a few of the movies there was foreshadowing.

Well I was meaning more on the lines of *Leia strangles Jabba to the Imperial March* kind of foreshadowing...