Help! Carnage and Alacrity

CJNJ

To start off I know already to not take any alacrity rating as it does not help as much as surge.

Now here is my problem. I have several guildies who are taking 2-3 alacrity enhancements, and because I don't actually have a sent/Mara I apparently have no credibility, even tho the whole alacrity thing is basically the same across the board for classes. If sages, the only class that used alacrity pre-2.0, don't need alacrity or at most 1 enhancement then why would a sentinel, what doesn't get resource benefits, need more than that?

So what I need is credibility. Some sort of evidence or logical reasoning that will make them go "hmm" or "ah I get it now" if anyone can help me out that would be great! The guys are sentinels and I realize I'm in the Mara forum, but you guys seem to be more constructive over here :D

Until about 100 points in alacrity you actually see a benefiit, after that, not so much. Depends on your surge and crit though. The lower crit and the higher your surge is, the more you benefit from alacrity. Carnage only. Edited by atschai

Credibility? Do more dps than the others...

I'm using alacrity, it's working well in Carnage, my GCD is about 1.1sec.

How? How much Alacrity you have? 10% alacrity gives about 0.15s off GCD. You got to have about 24% alacrity boost to get 1.1s GCD. But that is impossible even if you use only alacrity in your whole secondary stat pool.

Unless you are talking about Berserk in Ataru, which gives 30% temporary Alacrity boost. But that is different from putting Alacrity in gear.

Even if I put 200 Alacrity in my gear, I only get about 3% Alacrity boost, which translates to about 0.05s off GCD. I think only Spiderman has the time perception sense and reflex to make use of a 0.05s GCD difference. This is why people say Alacrity is useless for Knights and Warriors, because it is humanly impossible to take advantage of such short time advantage.

I'll put this right into perspective for you. If I use berserk in Ataru form I get 30% alacrity if I use a final tier alacrity adrenal 545 or higher I get another 5% so in comparison not that much considering that it's only for 15 seconds. Now if you invest in alacrity as much as some of my friends do you can have a constant 10%

Is the most I've seen. GCD = 150 milliseconds so that's a 15 millisecond decrease. Not allot right? Now let's do an operation and in those 6-10 minute (sometimes longer fights, well

Use ten for math purposes) of you theoretically have GCD popped between everything that's 10 min = 600 seconds.

Theoretically you can pop a 1.5 sec GCD 400 times. Take that 400 GCD's and subtract 0.15 seconds from each one and your looking at another 40 seconds to do things. I'm to last to space dummy a perfect ratio so I'll leave that for you to decide how much damage to sacrifice for speed

To offer a very simplistic example, imagine an attack that does a base rate of 1000 damage per second, without crits. To calculate the total damage per second of that attack with crits and alacrity and accuracy, it's (1000 + 1000 * crit_chance * crit_multiplier) * accuracy / (1 - alacrity)

Now imagine a hypothetical level 55 Carnage Marauder with a base 97% accuracy and 2600 Strength and 1800 crit rating (giving roughly the max crit chance with current end-game gear) for a crit chance around 37.3%. Level 72 gear gives 79 Accuracy/Surge/Alacrity on 10 items, for a total budget of 790 to spread between the 3. 2 items with Accuracy will give you 99.34%, leaving 632 to spend on Surge/Alacrity. If you spend it all on Surge, you get about 1275 DPS for that hypothetical attack. If you spend it all on Alacrity, you get about 1286 DPS. If you split it 5 Alacrity, 3 Surge, and 2 Accuracy, you get 1306 DPS, the optimal amount for this hypothetical scenario. Note that this scenario is purposely stacked to give the maximum possible value to Surge. If that same Marauder had 0 Crit Rating, the optimal balance would be 8 Alacrity, 0 Surge, 2 Accuracy.

So yes, in theory, Alacrity is valuable, but it becomes quite a bit more complicated once you try to take into account actual attacks with varying cooldowns, procs, etc.

One needs 650 Alacrity to get a constant 10% Alacrity boost for 0.15s off GCD, which means either Accuracy, or Surge, or a bit of both need to be sacrificed to obtain that much Alacrity. Personally, I would not Sacrifice Accuracy or Surge for that much Alacrity. Surge is useful because Carnage has auto-crit Force Scream. Accuracy is needed to hit and bypass target’s defense.

5 Alacrity mods, which is about 395 Alacrity, would give about 6% alacrity boost, which is about 0.1s off GCD. I suppose that can be feasible. But personally, I would put more into accuracy. Except Force Scream, all other attacks by Carnage are melee attacks, which are based on melee accuracy. Pushing melee accuracy into 101% is still good for both PvP and PvE.

Personally, I would get 200 Alacrity at best without sacrificing too much accuracy and surge. But the benefit of 200 Alacrity, which is about 3% and 0.05s off GCD, is so insignificant and minuscule that I choose to put the 200 points into Accuracy and Surge instead.

Edited by Ashuranrx