Open letter to Eric Musco and EA

ParagonAX

Viper, you have done a good job at articulating a lot of our thoughts on 2.0. I hope the powers that be take it to heart and learn from this mistake, more importantly fix this mistake with a "simple solution". Bolster in its current form I feel is always going to have flaws and ways to exploit. The system in general needs to be re-worked completely.

I will throw my "simple solution" idea out there just as something you can build on. Give people a popup when they enter a warzone with below max expertise asking if they would like to have bolstered stats or not, if so the bolstered stats would just be a simple static number that applies to everyone that would perform slightly worse than partisan. Seems simple enough to me, again just an idea to add to the mix.

Thank you though Viper, it is appreciated.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is actually a pretty good idea. If I understand you correctly:

- Have a check on-off box somewhere clearly visible (first-time queueing for warzone popup, with option to toggle later?).

- Option 1. Use unaltered stats from gear.

- Option 2. Overide stats from gear with standardized, predetermined, competitive PvP stats (could be un-augmented Partisan)

- Default would be Option 2, works for both 55s and lowbies.

Brilliant!

Edited by ParagonAX

What claim am I making? I'm starting to think this guy is having his guildies post on his thread to back him up.

There's at least 3 claims in OP's thread:

1) Bolster is wildly unpopular.

2) It can currently be exploited and that causes major issues in PVP.

3) He's a high paid consumer relations consultant.

Not a single one of those statements was backed up and the entire post leads me to believe #3 is false just based on the fact that it resembles nothing like what you'd expect to get from one of said 'consumer relations consultants'.

Um, Eric Musco has posted admitting to both #1 and #2.

What claim am I making? I'm starting to think this guy is having his guildies post on his thread to back him up.

Not a single one of those statements was backed up.

1) Show me some threads where there is unaminous support for how well bolster is doing.

1a) Show me some threads where there is unaminous discontent for how bad bolster is doing.

GG on that one.

2) Show me any evidence that you can prove that there is NO exploitation going on with bolster.

2a) Show me any CM posts that have "confirmed" that there are unintended issues going on with bolster.

GG once again.

That is actually a pretty good idea. If I understand you correctly:

- Have a check on-off box somewhere clearly visible (first-time queueing for warzone popup, with option to toggle later?).

- Option 1. Use unaltered stats from gear.

- Option 2. Overide stats from gear with standardized, predetermined, competitive PvP stats (could be un-augmented Partisan)

- Default would be Option 2, works for both 55s and lowbies.

Brilliant!

Yeah exactly, or just make a recruit mk3 set, but that would take more time I think, this would be a way around coding and designing another gear set.

3) He's a high paid consumer relations consultant.

Not a single one of those statements was backed up and the entire post leads me to believe #3 is false just based on the fact that it resembles nothing like what you'd expect to get from one of said 'consumer relations consultants'.

1) check the forums, check in game.

2) check dev and comm. relations team posts. They say it does.

3) I contract strategic consultants and work with them a lot. Sure he does.

4) This thread's not about you brah, it's about game improvement. Quit tapdancing into the spotlight.

1) Show me some threads where there is unaminous support for how well bolster is doing.

1a) Show me some threads where there is unaminous discontent for how bad bolster is doing.

GG on that one.

2) Show me any evidence that you can prove that there is NO exploitation going on with bolster.

2a) Show me any CM posts that have "confirmed" that there are unintended issues going on with bolster.

GG once again.

Oh Pistols you're just silly asking for a reasonable response :D

To the OP great post and very well presented, I echo others that are with you in hoping BW/EA will actually listen to their PvP community.

Um, Eric Musco has posted admitting to both #1 and #2.

Link? Him saying naked bolster was unintended (and has been subsequently fixed) in one thread is clearly not admitting that it is 'wildly unpopular' and 'causing major problems that need to be fixed'.

GG on that one.

GG once again.

You're right. There are no threads that are in agreement unanimously. That's the entire point of my post, as a "professional consultant" you'd want to see some kind of metrics, facts, statistics that indicated CLEARLY the prevailing opinion and then act on that opinion. That's why expensive consultant organizations cost hundreds of thousands of dollars - because they go through the trouble of collecting and analyzing data, applying experience against that data and making rational recommendations.

This is vastly different than, "Dude, my guildies have been talking about this. Here's my advice on how to change it." I'm a consultant too, a software and systems development consultant, and neither I nor anyone else I've met in a professional context would go and write an open letter to a multi-million dollar organization based on personal opinion with nothing to back it up. That's why I came to the conclusion that this guy was full of crap.

You're right. There are no threads that are in agreement unanimously. That's the entire point of my post, as a "professional consultant" you'd want to see some kind of metrics, facts, statistics that indicated CLEARLY the prevailing opinion and then act on that opinion. That's why expensive consultant organizations cost hundreds of thousands of dollars - because they go through the trouble of collecting and analyzing data, applying experience against that data and making rational recommendations.

This is vastly different than, "Dude, my guildies have been talking about this. Here's my advice on how to change it." I'm a consultant too, a software and systems development consultant, and neither I nor anyone else I've met in a professional context would go and write an open letter to a multi-million dollar organization based on personal opinion with nothing to back it up. That's why I came to the conclusion that this guy was full of crap.

Show us these 2 million sub "metrics, facts, statistics"

You don't know how to use the dev tracker?

http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=304

Maybe you and I are educated differently but in my world, a defect and "causing major issues" are two very, very separate things.

Let me give you an example :

1) I wear a full underworld armor set. My stats are 300% higher than everyone else.

2) I wear a full underworld armor set. My stats are 1.2% higher than people in EWH.

One of those would cause major issues. The other one, rational people don't care about in PUGs.

Edited to add : At this point I get it - I'm just getting trolled. GG.

Edited by dcgregorya

Maybe you and I are educated differently but in my world, a defect and "causing major issues" are two very, very separate things.

Let me give you an example :

1) I wear a full underworld armor set. My stats are 300% higher than everyone else.

2) I wear a full underworld armor set. My stats are 1.2% higher than people in EWH.

One of those would cause major issues. The other one, rational people don't care about in PUGs.

I never said anything about any of that, lol. I just asked if you knew how to use the dev tracker, if the info's out there and has been posted by a member of the dev/forum team then it will be in the dev tracker. If not, then it won't.

Capiche?

Edited by Scotland

There're different types of consultancy services. Inconceivable huh? Yours is usually walked to an unused conference room and shown where the power plug is. Others advise on culture and policy upstairs while enjoying the good coffee.

There're different types of consultancy services. Inconceivable huh? Yours is usually walked to an unused conference room and shown where the power plug is. Others advise on culture and policy upstairs while enjoying the good coffee.

If you believe there are people out there who are willing to pay $100,000 for a one page letter filled with stuff firmly pulled from *****, then I've got a great deal on a piece of the Brooklyn bridge I'd like to sell you. Maybe I'll start a thread about my time spent advising the president and playing batman on weekends and shoot that over to Eric Musco with my random PVP whines.

Edited by dcgregorya

If you believe there are people out there who are willing to pay $100,000 for a one page letter filled with stuff firmly pulled from *****, then I've got a great deal on a piece of the Brooklyn bridge I'd like to sell you. Maybe I'll start a thread about my time spent advising the president and playing batman on weekends and shoot that over to Eric Musco with my random PVP whines.

You clearly don't work in an industry that deals much with any type of consultants, that or you are just making assumptions for things well above your pay grade. A consultant or a team of consultants will be brought in to complete a project, assessment, or specific task. The $100,000 is a range that the OPs firm typically deals with for their services provided, I don't recall the OP ever stating they believed their post was worth any type of dollar figure. At least that is not the way I took it, you on the other hand have a terrible attitude so of course you will run around making assumptions to fit your arguments.

Example: a Cisco voice consultant working for a previous employer of mine cost the company ~$2500/week. You do the math, but that adds up to well over $100k for a project that lasted over a year.

Edited by shednik