Strength vs. Power augments PVE

Derrajx

So i have been doing some research, and i still have not found which one is better, and i have not seen the new stat formulas. Anyone know which one is better? I generally run as carnage, and sometimes annihilation. And as far as gearing, should we have any crit at all? or just go straight power/surge? Thanks

So i have been doing some research, and i still have not found which one is better, and i have not seen the new stat formulas. Anyone know which one is better? I generally run as carnage, and sometimes annihilation. And as far as gearing, should we have any crit at all? or just go straight power/surge? Thanks

crit sucks now since they changed the DR but to answer your question power will give you more bonus dmg but not by alot compared to strength while strength you loss some bonus dmg for crit personally i still perfer the power cause even if crit sucks now you do get a nice chunk of crit from all strength augments and every bit of crit you can get from strength is still nice crit is just not worth getting on the mods as of right now

My opinion is that crit % from Strength is the low hanging fruit with the recent changes to crit rating returns. I still plan on using Might augments for this reason.

I might aim for 200-300 crit rating from gear, but I'm not quite sure yet.

Crit and Alacrity are worthless stats at this point due to the low return value for crit and str... and I mean really low return values. You want to prioritize your stats as getting 100% normal accuracy and then go full power/surge with an emphasis on Power.

Go Power augments all the way and you'll see your damage ramp up. It won't be until perhaps gear far, far down the RotHC gear tree where we'll see that it's worth it to go back to Main Stat and getting a little bit of crit.

Edited by Lostpenguins

Crit and Alacrity are worthless stats at this point due to the low return value for crit and str... and I mean really low return values. You want to prioritize your stats as getting 100% normal accuracy and then go full power/surge with an emphasis on Power.

Go Power augments all the way and you'll see your damage ramp up. It won't be until perhaps gear far, far down the RotHC gear tree where we'll see that it's worth it to go back to Main Stat and getting a little bit of crit.

i was under the impression power won't be much better than strength augments just like in pre. 2.0 + I got a secondary reason i use might over power augments not just the crit but i share some of the gear between my mara and jugg dps

Edited by Zaxem

I posted in the sentinel forums about this. The math I did was using pvp gear but should apply to pve too. Honestly, get whichever augment is cheaper/more convenient to get. The difference in DPS is ridiculously small, with strength usually being better than power, by an average of around 0.1%. Seriously.

As for crit rating, probably should get 0. If you're only playing watchman you can justify getting a little bit, because the DPS loss from replacing power with crit is quite low for the first couple hundred points, and you get focus back from critting a burning/bleeding target- and of course, the self-heals.

But for Carnage, dont you need about 106% accuracy?

No, why would you?

Special Attacks, or everything except for Assault, already start at 100% Accuracy.

If you see 100% listed, all of the attacks that matter for any spec are at 110% Accuracy, which overcomes any defense chance in PVE.

No, why would you?

Special Attacks, or everything except for Assault, already start at 100% Accuracy.

If you see 100% listed, all of the attacks that matter for any spec are at 110% Accuracy, which overcomes any defense chance in PVE.

All of a marauders skills are melee except for force scream and smash, so wouldnt the melee accuracy count towards all those skills?

The differentiation is not based upon "special" attacks, it's based upon the attack type, therefore as mentioned above things like DOTs (annihilation / rupture, etc.), Smash, Scream, etc. are all considered "Force" attacks. There may be others just remembering this off the top of my head. For a carnage marauder, the only Force attack we use consistently is scream. This being the case you want to make absolutely sure that your melee attacks all land cause they make up for a large portion of your DPS. Nothing like seeing the last strike from your ravage being resisted or a miss.

All of a marauders skills are melee except for force scream and smash, so wouldnt the melee accuracy count towards all those skills?

Hover over your Melee Accuracy stat on your character sheet, and you'll see two entries.

First is Basic Accuracy, which is equivalent to the value displayed when you simply open the character sheet. This value applies to Assault, and only Assault.

Second is Special Attacks, which is 10% higher (100% base) and applies to everything else but Assault (in the game files, all other attacks have the "isSpecial" flag set to flag them as Special Attacks).

Increasing your Accuracy by 10% brings your Basic Accuracy to 100% (and thus a PVE boss retains a chance to parry/dodge), and your Special Attacks accuracy to 110% (and thus overcomes any known PVE defense chance).

The differentiation is not based upon "special" attacks, it's based upon the attack type, therefore as mentioned above things like DOTs (annihilation / rupture, etc.), Smash, Scream, etc. are all considered "Force" attacks. There may be others just remembering this off the top of my head. For a carnage marauder, the only Force attack we use consistently is scream. This being the case you want to make absolutely sure that your melee attacks all land cause they make up for a large portion of your DPS. Nothing like seeing the last strike from your ravage being resisted or a miss.

Actually no, there is a differentiation based on special attacks. Force attacks also have their own accuracy as well.

http://i.imgur.com/vLsGecx.jpg

This is what you see when you mouse over your melee accuracy tooltip. From testing, the only attack that follows the 90% basic melee accuracy is Assault. Battering Assault, Annihilate, Vicious Slash etc follow the special attack accuracy.

Edit: Omophorus beat me to it.

Edited by Zellfel

That may be true, but i just tested on the dummy and at 101% melee accuracy, i was getting some of my "special" attacks absorbed or even missed. So i still think we need more than 100% accuracy

What you're seeing is your offhand hits miss.

Wasn't there something in the 2.0 patch notes about stronger mobs now getting some additional defense for special attacks?

Edit: My bad

•Enemies of Elite toughness now have 5% Force and Tech defense, and enemies of Champion toughness have 10% Force and Tech defense. This gives greater chance of resisting Force and Tech attacks, and increases the importance of Accuracy when fighting Elite enemies.

Tech and force attacks

well, at least I remembered there was something about accuracy^^

Edited by Crimsonraziel

So I have read almost every post pertaining to the power vs main stat argument. What I was wondering after reading, does this account for the crit damage that goes along with the power over the 1% crit chance. It's been my thinking that I would rather have a harder hitting crit over the 1% increase to crit chance.*

So I have read almost every post pertaining to the power vs main stat argument. What I was wondering after reading, does this account for the crit damage that goes along with the power over the 1% crit chance. It's been my thinking that I would rather have a harder hitting crit over the 1% increase to crit chance.*

i'm going main stat over power on all my jugg dps sin dps and mara because power isn't better by much and i rather lose some bonus dmg and get some crit from the main stat especially with the nerf to crit to answer your question i got no idea sorry

Edited by Zaxem

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.