The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Help with PvP tank stats

i_noface_i

Ok guys, so this is a new area for me. I have played Rage and Vengeance and its now time to give Immortal a serious go. Loving full Immortal this time around.

My main question is how we building our gear for 2.0 what should I be stacking over what, I hope some of you can help.

Drack

I got full Partisan War Leader set, with Shield Amplification and Fortunate Redoubt relics. As I talked to some of the more experienced PvP Jugg tanks, I was told I should be aiming to raise my defense chance over the stock set rating. Working for that now.

Ok guys, so this is a new area for me. I have played Rage and Vengeance and its now time to give Immortal a serious go. Loving full Immortal this time around.

My main question is how we building our gear for 2.0 what should I be stacking over what, I hope some of you can help.

Expertise > Endurance > Shield > Absorb > Strength > Power > Accuracy (105%) > Defense

Partisan War Leader Armor Set

Edited by chaosmadness

I'll be heading towards two sets for full immortal. One set will be high endurance shield and absorb. The other will be mainly power, crit, surge.

Absorb is garbage atm. Go End/Def/Shield.

Edited by Arutar

Absorb is garbage atm. Go End/Def/Shield.

and reason why absorb is garbage?

with crit nerfed and shield buffed, saying that absorb is garbage?

as for stats, expertiese (flat damage reduction) > endurance (as usualy you are just healers HP pool) > optimized def stats (so you won't lose to much over dimishing returns, def/absorb both have pros and cons - def ignores crit but only works on white damage, while shield works also on force/tech attacks BUT is bypassed by crit), and maybe some accuracy.

remember, you all ball carrier or healers HP pool, or last man standing.

Edited by Atramar

and reason why absorb is garbage?

with crit nerfed and shield buffed, saying that absorb is garbage?

as for stats, expertiese (flat damage reduction) > endurance (as usualy you are just healers HP pool) > optimized def stats (so you won't lose to much over dimishing returns, def/absorb both have pros and cons - def ignores crit but only works on white damage, while shield works also on force/tech attacks BUT is bypassed by crit), and maybe some accuracy.

remember, you all ball carrier or healers HP pool, or last man standing.

Hmm when one considers the fact that you get a base twenty percent with shield equipped and that stacking absorb has poor returns, it could be better to stack something else in its place.

23 pages of reason why def/shield are the stats to go for an juggernaut tank with the current gear (future tiers of gear will make absorb more viable):

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616779

That is based on EC damage numbers with ~90% m/r attacks. That's not accurate even in the new ops (so due to that, it's worth stacking absorb when you use proper damage weights), and it's nowhere near accurate in PVP. Remember, f/t attacks can be (most of the PVP damage and the reason tanks had issues in PVP before) can't be defended, only shielded, so the more f/t there is the less defense you want.

That is based on EC damage numbers with ~90% m/r attacks. That's not accurate even in the new ops (so due to that, it's worth stacking absorb when you use proper damage weights), and it's nowhere near accurate in PVP. Remember, f/t attacks can be (most of the PVP damage and the reason tanks had issues in PVP before) can't be defended, only shielded, so the more f/t there is the less defense you want.

Well, that is true.

But still, given how crap absorb scales, I think that end/shield/def are definetly more important than absorb in PVP as well and should be prioritized. Though surely the gap is not as big as in PVE. Therefore picking up one or two pieces with absorb might be ok for a full pvp tank.

Also, merely shielding/defending an attack triggers some benefits for an Immortal juggernaut, which also means that shield/def should take priority.

Edited by Arutar

Well, that is true.

But still, given how crap absorb scales, I think that end/shield/def are definetly more important than absorb in PVP as well and should be prioritized. Though surely the gap is not as big as in PVE. Therefore picking up one or two pieces with absorb might be ok for a full pvp tank.

Also, merely shielding/defending an attack triggers some benefits for an Immortal juggernaut, which also means that shield/def should take priority.

Already at 75% m/r ratio you get the best mitigation from stacking almost as much absorb as you do shield - with a budget of 2600 (pretty much the max amount of points you can get from 72 high mitigation gear) the best mitigation is at 953/868/779 d/s/a (and that's assuming enemies with no accuracy rating and half their attacks being basic 90% ones - players will have about 10% higher accuracy, lowering he value of defense), with a def proc relic. At 50%, a generous estimate for PVP, so much damage bypass it completely that you don't want any defense at all for max mitigation, with max comming from 0/1251/1349 - still with a def proc one though. which stays the case until you drop down to 20% where the proc absorb becomes better (with stats adjusted to 0/1360/1240 to account for changed DR).

With that said, I still recommend a bit of defense for when you run into a carnage mara or marksman sniper, but just a little bit while the main focus is on shield and absorb, and you do still have 13% defense (including the retaliate 5%) even with 0 defense rating.

I've been running immortal (extra 5 points in Vengeance) for my jugg. Im rolling with Vindicator armor with War Leader Implants and Shield for the extra HP/Defense. Ive been haveing some decent success with it. But I wanted to get input from other more experienced juggs if my logic is flawed or I should be approaching my goal to be a DPS/Tank differently.

Am I going in the wrong direction with using vindicator gear? I dont want to spend any more comms or time on something I will regret. Trying to learn here.

Thanks

Edited by Hatebane

Gearing for PvP Tank Jugg in order:

1. Get full set of War Leader Gear to get all your defensive stats they give you. Relics should be the Shield Amplification and Fortunate Redoubt.

2. Get two Pieces of Vindicator Gear and place the armorings into two of the War Leader Pieces for Intercede Heal 2 Set Bonus

3. Fortitude Augment EVERYTHING

4. Start Min/Max-ing the Mods/Enhancements.

I hate numbers, visuals are awesome, so here is a graph I've been looking at: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013/09/1362011240-dr-curve-2-0-swtor.png

If you're better with numbers, here is a recent thread that has a reply from KeyboardNinja with some numbers: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=621033

Focus on Shield and balance out Defense/Absorb. As long as you get Shield up high enough, your Shield Amplification Relic will proc "every" 20 seconds and grant you 410/435 more absorb rating. The scaling for Absorb right now is little ridiculous and takes too many points to get it going where as its usually better to put them in Defense. Plus there are less crits going around these days, so there are more chances for your Defense to just dodge more opponents' attacks COMPLETELY. Yes I know already that Defense doesn't work on any Force/Tech attacks, but with the increase of Sniper and Carnage Marauders, this will become more important. With Defense Rating, again, the Relic is a HUGE boost so you don't have to put Defense so high on your priority list. This should be your priority list:

Expertise > Endurance > Shield > Defense >/= Absorb > Power > Accuracy

Recap:

1. Melee/Ranged attacks that deal Kinetic/Energy damage - Both defense and shield/absorb do work

2. Melee/Ranged attacks that deal Internal/Elemental damage - These types of attacks don't exist

3. Force/Tech attacks that deal Kinetic/Energy damage - Shield/absorb does work, but defense does not.

4. Force/Tech attacks that deal Internal/Elemental damage - All your tanking stats are useless against these

I personally treat priority lists as such, its a PRIORITY list, not a "GET ALL OF THIS STAT BEFORE THIS ONE." It's a balancing act and I don't gimp myself out of Absorb just to get an extra small amount of Defense. Since Shield and Absorb are tied to each other, you will need some Absorb, but Defense just scales much better right now. The Relics are going to be the key, factoring them into your stats can help you make decisions on how to Min/Max. That is why I prioritize Shield over Defense and Absorb and choose to balance out my Defense and Absorb correctly.

Edited by BanetheDarkLord