Game limits?

sigurhal

I'm just curious... why does this game have sooooo many limits on every aspect of the game?

Why have:

-weekly commendation limits?

-commendation limits?

-99 per stack limit?

-5 cargo bay limit?

-50 items for sale on GTN limit? (ok, this one I actually get, but still)

-5 companions at work limit?

-once per week ops limit?

-mission amount limit?

-5 item crafting queue?

and so on... (wont bother listing all I can think of, because some are only personal pref and opinions on general game mechanics.)

This game has so many limits on stuff, that I really cannot see any reason having one. Some limits might be good, but others are just way beyond my reasoning...

I'm just curious... why does this game have sooooo many limits on every aspect of the game?

Why have:

-commendation limits?

-99 per stack limit?

-5 cargo bay limit?

-mission amount limit?

-5 item crafting queue?

and so on... (wont bother listing all I can think of, because some are only personal pref and opinions on general game mechanics.)

This game has so many limits on stuff, that I really cannot see any reason having one. Some limits might be good, but others are just way beyond my reasoning...

Comms so u dont rush end gear and while u are capped to explore other stuff...

Ops is same reason as above..gear..

Crafting so u wouldnt have 100000 black orange crystals over 2 nights... 5 comps cuz i need one for questing....

99 per stack cuz that just ok..almost every mmo has 99 or 100 limit on stack...5 cargo bay cuz u dont really need more....if u do..consider a clean up..

mission amount limit so u dont hit lvl 55 in 10 mina after patch and also to relieve the server.... 1000 players x 150 guest in log = alot of data tp procces....

Edited by Athrandiel

Pls let me know when u release a game so i can enjoy it

They're probably not far off though. Sure, there's a lot of pacing and gating involved. But since official statement here is that the 25 quest log limit is due to performance issues if they take it higher, it's not that big a leap to think that other stuff will affect it the same way. And the crappy state of the engine is common knowledge.

They're probably not far off though. Sure, there's a lot of pacing and gating involved. But since official statement here is that the 25 quest log limit is due to performance issues if they take it higher, it's not that big a leap to think that other stuff will affect it the same way. And the crappy state of the engine is common knowledge.

Guys they could make better engine..sure...that also means that ppl with badly specced PC's cant play..also i read the dev post..they said about lag and not fps.... 25 x 1000plaxers is alot of data to proccess (and we all know its not 1k)

Edited by Athrandiel

Probably because of the engine. If we can't have more than 25 active quests in our log because performance takes a hit imagine what an extra 100 comms would do!!?!?!??

they allreeady said its a content throttle not a system limitation

Why have:

-commendation limits?

-99 per stack limit?

-5 cargo bay limit?

-mission amount limit?

-5 item crafting queue?

You beat me to it. I was going to post this. Yeah I agree with you and will unsub untl they fix it. I know they will though because they did it before with comm limits. My mind is already made up but I would still like an explanation of them.

I think the end result is the same with these artificial limits on how quickly you can get better gear and people becoming bored and quitting.

No limits, some players level and gear very quickly - probably they get bored and leave or whine about it or something like that.

Limits on a lot of stuff - people play alts, same missions over and over, slower gearing and leveling with multiple chars - probably they get bored and leave or whine about it :)

I just don't understand the reason behind all of this. Some people like gearing quickly, some don't. Some play in groups, some don't. Some people craft a lot, some not at all.

Why make all these different limits that force certain types of gaming behaviour on all of us.

I'm not really whining about anything here - I'm just curious about the reasoning behind all of these "design features". Imo, they just don't add anything to the game - reading general opinions, they just seem to annoy some people (not all).

I think the end result is the same with these artificial limits on how quickly you can get better gear and people becoming bored and quitting.

No limits, some players level and gear very quickly - probably they get bored and leave or whine about it or something like that.

Limits on a lot of stuff - people play alts, same missions over and over, slower gearing and leveling with multiple chars - probably they get bored and leave or whine about it :)

I just don't understand the reason behind all of this. Some people like gearing quickly, some don't. Some play in groups, some don't. Some people craft a lot, some not at all.

Why make all these different limits that force certain types of gaming behaviour on all of us.

I'm not really whining about anything here - I'm just curious about the reasoning behind all of these "design features". Imo, they just don't add anything to the game - reading general opinions, they just seem to annoy some people (not all).

Because these limits are well tought out to cater to everyones need...

So u can lvlup and gear up fast but not fast enough to eat up content in a month....

And playing alts is a joy in this game..this is the only game I found so far that when u do alt u dont have to do EXACTLY the same way all the quests like on ur main...

Rift, RoM these are absolutely alt un-friendly

-99 per stack limit?

-5 cargo bay limit?

Is this REALLY an issue for anyone??? These limits are MORE than enough. I understand that the OP is only listing these to try and prove a point....but please make your point with details that actually matter and not just fluff for the sake of fluff.

-5 item crafting queue?

While I would like to be able to queue up 100s of craftings, missions, etc on my companions and go to bed....I understand that this would simply be very bad for the game. I shouldn't be able to log out one night and back in the next day and be completely done with crewskills for the rest of my characters career. With 7 companion options and a 5 work limit...it's already pretty much set it and forget it (or at least forget it for 45 - 90 min) and then reset it again. All without interfering with doing everything else in the game with the companion you use 99% of the time anyway.

-mission amount limit?

If you are doing the missions at the time you are getting them, then the limit of 25 (30 including bonus missions) is perfectly fine. I have VERY rarely ever fan into this limit myself and the few times I have it was easy enough to drop one until I finished one and the re-grab it later. If they raised this by 5 or 10 it would be fine....but ppl asking for it to be 50+ are probably just people who want to be able to save up 50 completed quests for the next xpac in 12-18 months.

They have to limit the number of times you can run an operation/raid in MMOs or people would farm them non-stop the first two weeks and then gripe about nothing more to do. Even with BW committing to trying to release new content every 6 weeks, people already complain that they aren't releasing content fast enough. IMO, if you already know the schedule of when new content will be coming out and choose to not pace yourself accordingly, then you have no gripe. Unfortunately many people don't think that way, so these sorts of throttles on how quickly you can gear up/progress have to be put in place.

Edited by Jilisipone

Guys they could make better engine..sure...that also means that ppl with badly specced PC's cant play..also i read the dev post..they said about lag and not fps.... 25 x 1000plaxers is alot of data to proccess (and we all know its not 1k)

thats crud they just need to buy the complete game engine instead of half of it and patching the rest of their crud into it but hey what do i know :rolleyes:

You beat me to it. I was going to post this. Yeah I agree with you and will unsub untl they fix it. I know they will though because they did it before with comm limits. My mind is already made up but I would still like an explanation of them.

/bye

Don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way out. Limits are everywhere in every MMO to prevent people who play 18 hours a day from blowing through all content and then whinning that there's nothing to do. If these limits actually cause you to quit, I'm thinking MMO's are not for you.

EDIT: Athrandiel has captured the reasoning and nature of limits quite well with several responses in this thread.

Edited by uziforyou

To keep you playing. It is an MMO after all.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. It's a business after all - if they allow people to play the game on THEIR own pace, they might lose some customers. Funny thing is, they lose customers with this system aswell.

My point in all this was that all of these limits just force certain play style on all players. They restrict some people, but some people never hit the limits. Still, while some of them might be useful in some aspects, others are not.

Some limits are purely for the economic reasons of the makers. Spend more time playing - more money for company. Spend real money to get some game stuff quicker - more money for the company.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. It's a business after all - if they allow people to play the game on THEIR own pace, they might lose some customers. Funny thing is, they lose customers with this system aswell.

My point in all this was that all of these limits just force certain play style on all players. They restrict some people, but some people never hit the limits. Still, while some of them might be useful in some aspects, others are not.

Some limits are purely for the economic reasons of the makers. Spend more time playing - more money for company. Spend real money to get some game stuff quicker - more money for the company.

No, it retains customers by keeping them going. No restrictions means that they will blow through the content and sit here on the forums complaining that they did everything already. MMO's need you hooked for the long term so they can develop the new content and release it in a timely manner.

If you've already hit the limits, well it's not Bioware's fault you have nothing else to occupy your time with.

Maybe you can ready a book. Or take up a sport. Date someone.

Just anything that isn't you sitting at a computer for hours on end.

The ****** engine actually makes the game run even WORSE on low end pcs.

It already runs pretty terribly even on higher end rigs.

No, it retains customers by keeping them going. No restrictions means that they will blow through the content and sit here on the forums complaining that they did everything already. MMO's need you hooked for the long term so they can develop the new content and release it in a timely manner.

If you've already hit the limits, well it's not Bioware's fault you have nothing else to occupy your time with.

Maybe you can ready a book. Or take up a sport. Date someone.

Just anything that isn't you sitting at a computer for hours on end.

Read more carefully. I didn't say I'm blowing through the content and I'm not sitting on the forums complaining I did everything... (maybe post count tells you that.)

Still, good job on going personal!

....<snip>..

Just to note: there are no limits to what people can and will complain about in the forum. :) So enjoy!

By the way.. you totally ignored the fact that there is a limit to how many levels you can be in game. ;)

That is all.

Edited by Andryah