The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

More Starships!

Terin

I understand that Starships are heavily involved with the Class-Quests, but honestly, I think it would be great to be able to exchange your Starship for something else.

For example, I'm not a big fan of the Defender ship. That's not to say that it's *bad*, but it's just not really "me". I might, for example, prefer something more akin to a large X-Wing, in which the interior is more of of a long hallway with various rooms branching off of that, with a small staircase leading to the cockpit proper.

Or perhaps for my Sith Inquisitor, he might prefer something a little more lavish, akin to the "yacht-half" of the Phantom, with dark cherry-wood flooring, feeling more like a luxurious apartment/space-station than a ship. Conversely, perhaps Troopers and Bounty Hunters would prefer something that looks even more like a war-ship?

Of course, none of these new ships would be Class-exclusive, and I realize that it must take an extraordinarily long time to built even one ship. Still, it's something I would happily spend money on, and I think there are some cool concepts. Just make sure that players can still use their original ships if they change their minds, and go crazy with whatever ship-designs you can think of! :D

I understand that Starships are heavily involved with the Class-Quests, but honestly, I think it would be great to be able to exchange your Starship for something else.

For example, I'm not a big fan of the Defender ship. That's not to say that it's *bad*, but it's just not really "me". I might, for example, prefer something more akin to a large X-Wing, in which the interior is more of of a long hallway with various rooms branching off of that, with a small staircase leading to the cockpit proper.

Or perhaps for my Sith Inquisitor, he might prefer something a little more lavish, akin to the "yacht-half" of the Phantom, with dark cherry-wood flooring, feeling more like a luxurious apartment/space-station than a ship. Conversely, perhaps Troopers and Bounty Hunters would prefer something that looks even more like a war-ship?

Of course, none of these new ships would be Class-exclusive, and I realize that it must take an extraordinarily long time to built even one ship. Still, it's something I would happily spend money on, and I think there are some cool concepts. Just make sure that players can still use their original ships if they change their minds, and go crazy with whatever ship-designs you can think of! :D

The problem is that a lot of the cutscenes for the classes are directed and mapped out based upon a known look for a ship's interior, if they made more starships, they would have to figure out a way to make the cutscenes for all classes work for them, and when you take a single floor ship and turn it into a double floor ship, that could present some serious coding problems.

The problem is that a lot of the cutscenes for the classes are directed and mapped out based upon a known look for a ship's interior, if they made more starships, they would have to figure out a way to make the cutscenes for all classes work for them, and when you take a single floor ship and turn it into a double floor ship, that could present some serious coding problems.

Hmm... very true. I might offer one of two solutions, then:

1. Story-based cut-scenes would still use your original ship, or even requiring the player to be level 50 and/or having finished Act 3 before being able to purchase

or

2. Simply offer re-skinned and re-decorated versions of the existing ships. For example, Sith players could exchange their standard Fury with one with less-hostile lighting and wood flooring, or Jedi could have a Defender in which the large, circular room now has a bar that wraps around its entirety. Maybe not those specifically, but you get the idea.

A way around the cutscenes is to simply make us launch other ships from orbital stations and dont put holo terminals upon the new ships making it so we have to use our original ships for cutscenes etc.

That's an idea, too!

Honestly, I'm not too picky about the specifics, I just like the idea of piloting new ships, even if they're just altered versions of existing ones.

Even if it were just cosmetic alterations- take the Inquisitor example. Even if she's restricted to the Fury, with its existing layout, to avoid coding and pathfinding issues in class quests, you could certain mark the difference between Zash's lowly apprentice, in the dark and metallically threatening 'bare' ship of the start, to Darth Nox, in the same starcruiser, but now with luxurious carpeting in a choice of colours (cartel market), the mask, saber, and armour of Lord Kallig in a glass casement on display in the central chamber, wall-hangings and tapestries, ancient Sith Relics, a different, more regal 'skin' for her servitor droid (plainly possible, ship droid customisations being already a feature of cartel packs), ranks of book films and ancient scrolls, etc etc?

• 3 weeks later...
Even if it were just cosmetic alterations- take the Inquisitor example. Even if she's restricted to the Fury, with its existing layout, to avoid coding and pathfinding issues in class quests, you could certain mark the difference between Zash's lowly apprentice, in the dark and metallically threatening 'bare' ship of the start, to Darth Nox, in the same starcruiser, but now with luxurious carpeting in a choice of colours (cartel market), the mask, saber, and armour of Lord Kallig in a glass casement on display in the central chamber, wall-hangings and tapestries, ancient Sith Relics, a different, more regal 'skin' for her servitor droid (plainly possible, ship droid customisations being already a feature of cartel packs), ranks of book films and ancient scrolls, etc etc?

Yup, even that would work! Or, like I said, perhaps it could simply be something you only unlock after hitting 50, at which point I assume there isn't much in the way of cutscenes aboard your ship?

Yup, even that would work! Or, like I said, perhaps it could simply be something you only unlock after hitting 50, at which point I assume there isn't much in the way of cutscenes aboard your ship?

Except there are still cut scenes with Companions that you hadn't maxed out Affection with, plus you never know, they might add MORE Cutscenes in the future.

Except there are still cut scenes with Companions that you hadn't maxed out Affection with, plus you never know, they might add MORE Cutscenes in the future.

Hmm, fair enough. Still, having re-structured "variants" for each ship shouldn't be too over-the-top, right? As the other poster suggested, I could totally see Inquisitors who would outfit the place to have more of a "Museum" quality for Sith artifacts, or perhaps the D-5 Mantis could get an option to overhaul it as more of a "luxury suite", with windows in the main room that look out into space, or something of that nature.

You know, things that aren't necessarily "upgrades", but just different types of "looks" for your ship. The Default ships, with the exception of the Defender for the Jedi Knight, do a great job in representing their Classes anyways. With these "new" Starships, I'd like to see things that delve outside the norm a bit, and just offer a bit more personal flaire to your choice, even if they're effectively the same ships.

• 1 month later...

What they also could do is a starship selector.

This way they only have to code where the companions are and where to go camera stands could be the same.

I personaly think it would be time they put it in-game :D.

Edited by TheNeoblaster
thinking of something