What about +41 expertise crystals from cartel market?

Seireeni

Yes, the point.

Is the point that you have a crystal that is less than optimal until you reach a higher level?

It's not less optimal, it's a disadvantage. Some people have paid real money for these things and now bw says "you'd be better off without it".

has anyone posted the statistical differences between using a +41 exp or a +41 anything else crystal?

im willing to bet it is ~1% difference in stats. which is negligble, and it only makes a difference in lowbies (as expertise > all in 55).

i have nothing against lowbie PvP, but its a breeding ground for bads. in fact i am working on leveling a commando atm through nothing but PvP (only 46 atm, long way to go).

Ok, I will concede to several of your points:

--You bought it, and it changed after you bought it. This is bad

--You potentially paid real life money and it changed. Also bad

But the thing which I feel is really no big deal:

--Its not as good as other similar items such as a power crystal. This is a common occurrence

So IMO, the problem is that they changed it after you bought it, not necessarily what they changed. The problem is not with the item itself. The problem is sudden and unexpected change. If you could go back and not buy it, there would be no issue.

Also, when one buys an expertise crystal at level 10....do they really think it was helping in any noticeable way? Like someone else mentioned, it probably added .5 or maybe 1% to your damage. So a 2000 damage attack got an extra 20 damage. The power crystal would have given an extra 8 damage anyways, so pre-2.0 the advantage was 12 extra damage. I hardly think anyone is missing that 12 damage....

Edited by DarthBloodloss

So IMO, the problem is that they changed it after you bought it, not necessarily what they changed. The problem is not with the item itself. The problem is sudden and unexpected change. If you could go back and not buy it, there would be no issue.

Yes, I can agree with this one. People have bought an item that had value, but now, that item has a lot less value. The crystal used to be endgame AND leveling item, and now it's an endgame item that you shouldn't have when leveling, since it makes your stats worse (I don't have statistics, but more or less worse). I could accept this if the item was something that would be aquired by playing the game, but you can only get these crystals by spending real money (someone spent real money for the ones on GNT, too).

Also, when one buys an expertise crystal at level 10....do they really think it was helping in any noticeable way? Like someone else mentioned, it probably added .5 or maybe 1% to your damage. So a 2000 damage attack got an extra 20 damage. The power crystal would have given an extra 8 damage anyways, so pre-2.0 the advantage was 12 extra damage. I hardly think anyone is missing that 12 damage....

Personally, I buy these crystals so I don't have to upgrade my crystals. Mine are from cartel market, and since I'm not made of credits, the difference between expertise crystal (usually around 140-200k, boosts damage, healing and damage resistance in pvp) and a power crystal (around 500-700k, boosts damage and healing everywhere) was pretty big. Can't really say about other people's choices.

Edited by Seireeni

its lowbie PvP

who the frak cares about optimizing gear you are inevitably going to replace?

I did, I usually level alts through pvp, and I min max them all the way to cap because I enjoy getting the most out of my gear.

The whole bolster thing takes away a lot of the games enjoyment for me. But, I'm actually cool with it. Now I can unsub and just f2p. I only play to pvp, if I don't need to worry about working on gear I will play a lot less.

I did, I usually level alts through pvp, and I min max them all the way to cap because I enjoy getting the most out of my gear.

The whole bolster thing takes away a lot of the games enjoyment for me. But, I'm actually cool with it. Now I can unsub and just f2p. I only play to pvp, if I don't need to worry about working on gear I will play a lot less.

or, how about this crazy idea: level to 55 and then min/max your gear?

i dont get why people seem to think that the game ends when you hit max level....

i dont get why people seem to think that the game ends when you hit max level....

Personally I prefer leveling. At level 55, there's nothing more than pvp, fps, dailies and ops. Things that are nice to do here and there, but not all the time. With lowbie, you can run a few fps to gear up/for challenge (it can be a challenge with pugs at least), then do you more or less good story forward and after that, go to Cantina to have a nice chat with your companion.

I'll play at 55, but I enjoy leveling through pvp. I do it in every game i play. And, a huge part of leveling for me is min maxing. I will spend hours on my main farming mats to make gear to give to my lowbie, so he will go up 12 points of damage. Just to out level it ten WZs later.

Now I don't need to. Now I can just pvp. I'll roll with the changes just fine. But I did enjoy low level pvp min maxing.