The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

2.0 Shield Tech feels .... good?

Nkunda

The snare on flame sweep, the change to oil slick, the jet speed refresh, the changes to Kolto overload and heat blast ... I feel pretty beastly, almost like a jug tank with my snare capability.

Am I alone in thinking this?

The snare on flame sweep, the change to oil slick, the jet speed refresh, the changes to Kolto overload and heat blast ... I feel pretty beastly, almost like a jug tank with my snare capability.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I think I am the only one who does not like the new "perfectly round circular" oil slick that looks like melted black wax..

Oh wait, no, I think the bolster issues are just making me feel godly. I'm level 47. I think spamming flame sweep is doing unrealistic damage to level 50+'s and I'm just thinking its the spec.

Rats.

I think I am the only one who does not like the new "perfectly round circular" oil slick that looks like melted black wax..

I think it looks a lot better than it did before.

On-topic, I did a few warzones on the pts with a shield tech in tank gear. They say it's still not as tanky or control capable as a jugg tank. I think its a lot better than it used to be, but maybe just a slight survivability or group utility buff would go a long way for this spec in pvp.

I have not tried my shieldtech in 2.0 yet but i have a feeling that the bolster will mess things up for tanks.

You need to remove gear to get the most out of the bolster system and you need to keep gear in order to get the mitigation values (def/abs/shield) wich is counterproductive for a tank ofc....

I think however that it will be a completely different ballpark at 55 though where you can stack proper armor with def values.

(Only level 46 at present, so take notes with that in mind)

It certainly feels better than before. Flame Engine seems good, though I find the internal CD being the same as the FT CD means I often don't get the benefit of the FT CD reset. Advanced Tools talent may help, by giving an extra 3s buffer to use the 'normal' FT. Some of this is down to be missing the proc of Flame Engine, as I often don't notice the visual on my character and have to check buff bar (get same problem with Heat Blast too).

Oil Slick (visual aside) is good. Snare on Flame Sweep also good, though the latter seems to have made Neural Overload redundant (perhaps even more so than it was already).

The Kolto Overload + Coolant Talent didn't work as expected either (could perhaps do with some changes to the tool tip). The Kolto Overload tip says it goes on CD for 3m once Heart Monitor triggers - but it goes on CD even it Heart Monitor doesn't trigger, and the 60s simply runs out. I had hoped, from the description, that if Heart Monitor never triggered (MOB/player died, healer kept you above 30%, etc) that it'd be available for use again straight away.

As for Coolant, it says Kolto Overload now heals for 2% every second when above 30%. I took 'Kolto Overload' to be the ability you activate on the toolbar, that runs for 60s. So 120% HP over 60s, powerful, yes, but high up the tank tree and for me heals for 840HP per 1.5s (GCD), so not enough to make you invincible even against one mob, and 3m CD so seemed a decent defensive. However, it only triggers when Heart Monitor does (meaning you have to drop < 30% HP first) and then runs for 8s, so 16% HP presuming you can stay above 30%.

Both of these are no doubt reading comprehension problems on my part, but it would be nice if Kolto Overload didn't go on CD if it didn't trigger. The 120% HP over 60s is probably just dreaming!

We'll see how it goes once PvP settles in a bit.

The problem with Kolto Overload not going on cooldown if it doesn't get triggered after a minute is that you might as well then just make it a passive with an internal cooldown, because you could have it up *all the time* instead of having to be smart about using it.

Very true, I hadn't thought that all the way through! (though, that sounds like an ace ability to me!)

Ya. Shield Tech is pretty freaking awesome right now.

I switched over from pyrotech to shield tech after 2.0, to do some testing.

Needless to say, I am pretty impressed with what I have seen so far.

I am not geared at all. I have a full set of Recruit Combat Tech, with one piece of campaign tank gear (hands).

I run full tank with Mako as my healer. Granted, I am still learning and doing testing, but I pretty much walk through stuff in The Black Hole and Section X (i am level 50, cant go to Makeb yet :( ).

I feel like I kill stuff a lot faster on my PT than on my Jugg, Sniper or Operative.

I pretty much charge in, electro dart on strongest mob guy, flame sweep 2x, and if my flamethrower procs, burn them down. Stuff dies really fast.

Like I said though, I am very new to running shield tech. But I love what I see so far.

Now I just need to figure out what stats to optimize for PT tanking.